Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Preflight-PreflightPostflight?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Preflight-PreflightPostflight?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 10:15 PM
deltatech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Preflight-PreflightPostflight?

I flew my Top Flite DC-3 today and the conditions were perfect[8D]. I had 3 great flights and decided to pack it in for the day. Sometimes I have to leave quickly and do a fast clean up but today I wanted to really clean my baby "I fly from a grass field so things get dirty". I cleaned the retracts and wheel wells. I double cleaned the entire plane.
During this very detailed job I noticed somthing was definately wrong. I noticed that the left aileron servo was very loose. When I got home I pulled the hatch and found that the servo was missing 2 screws on one side. They must have backed out and fell through the control arm hole.
I usually do a good preflight. I assemble the DC-3 looking over all internal workings as I go. I get the engines set up the way I like and then do a full walk around like I was going to fly the real deal. I check everything - retracts - control surfaces - engines from the firewall forward and so on. I push and pull I listen and look for anything out of the ordenary. I found nothing wrong before each flight.
I guess The moral of the story is to do a detailed clean up on your model it may reveal more than a clean airplane!
Old 08-06-2007, 11:38 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 293 Likes on 250 Posts
Default RE: Preflight-PreflightPostflight?

Its amazing what good preflight and postflight routines can show. That cleaning job just may have save you from a rebuild job. Its a good example for all us R/C flyers to follow. yjanks for posting it.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:55 AM
cstevenpeterson
My Feedback: (21)

Hi Deltatech,

Were you flying this at the last TONJ meeting in July? Nice looking plane - flies even nicer! It would have been a real shame to lose it, especially over something like that. Folks always comment on how meticulous I am with my birds - especially when I clean them like you do. It goes to show, you can never be too thorough or cautious. I used to race full sized dirt track cars and I was like that then - clean cars (planes) run better and safety is paramount - especially when it's your own butt in the seat! I guess it spilled over into the Hobby.[8D]

Steve
Old 08-06-2007, 08:55 PM
deltatech

I totally agree guys! Safety first! You can never be to cautious,