Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Dyed Rims Pix

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 01:45 AM
Wisconsin Nitro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dyed Rims Pix

let me see your dyed rims for you RC and please say what kind of dye you used

I'm going to be doing my first ones soon and so far from what I have read is that I'm suppose to use RIT dye but are there other that are better is that just the standard that everyone uses it works just fine?
Old 08-03-2007, 08:54 AM
Gado

Default RE: Dyed Rims

Rit dye Royal blue in boiling water, my first attempt
I put too much, actually the whole package in the water and ended up with purple not blue

second attempt this time i diluted the water

I also did the wing
when I took the picture they werent freshly dyed they had been abused
Old 08-03-2007, 09:42 AM
Nick2618

I dyed my rims black with rit dye (is there another kind? lol).If you do black you dont have to worry about how long you leave them in or how much you use. But like the other dude said if you use anyother color the longer you leave them in the water the darker they get.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:17 PM
Wisconsin Nitro

yeah I'm doing them black as well should be pretty cool looking with my white and black crowd pleaser body for my LST 2 and the black wing i just put on
Old 08-04-2007, 12:25 PM
Checkpointracer

ORIGINAL: nick2618

I dyed my rims black with rit dye (is there another kind? lol).If you do black you dont have to worry about how long you leave them in or how much you use. But like the other dude said if you use anyother color the longer you leave them in the water the darker they get.

Thats weird, I did black rims for my rusty and they turned out purple?[sm=confused.gif][sm=crying.gif]
Old 08-04-2007, 12:52 PM
Wisconsin Nitro

Default RE: Dyed Rims Pix

yeah i just dyed mine and they turned out purple as well but a very dark purple like pen ink I'm assuming its because i didn't leave them in long enough? followed the instructions on the box and it said 30 mins but what ever in the rite light they look black

Ill just leave them in longer next time...
Old 08-04-2007, 01:04 PM
drevil
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: Wisconsin Nitro
yeah i just dyed mine and they turned out purple as well but a very dark purple like pen ink I'm assuming its because i didn't leave them in long enough? followed the instructions on the box and it said 30 mins but what ever in the rite light they look black
Ill just leave them in longer next time...
If you were trying to get them black then you're correct you'd have to leave them in longer.

Before you dye your wheels just make sure they're made of nylon and not ABS. I once tried to dye abs wheels black and they came out a weird purple/brown color. Another thing to watch out for is your wheels getting too hot and warping.
Old 08-04-2007, 02:59 PM
Nick2618

I was leaving my stuff in there for at least 3 mins? i think. Also i used the whole pack of powder becuase once you open it, its hard to store. It will stain things very easily and the whole pack of die is like 1-2 dollars. About warping this is what i do and i think it prevents it. Put water in a pot then the dye. Then boil the water and put the stuff you want to dye in and turn down the heat so it is just simmering. You do not want any of the dye bubbling over the pan. Another trick i use is go find a decent stick and get some dental floss. Then tie the items with the dental floss so that that they hang about 1-2" depanding on the size of your pan. THen you can safley dip the itmes in and out and not make a mess or get burned. Hope this helps.
Old 08-04-2007, 06:35 PM
kdz76

The best way to die your parts is with Rit dye you boil the water add the dye and soak your parts. You watch the color change and when the color of your parts are a shade lighter then what you actually want pull them out as they dry the moisture evaporates and the dye becomes darker. I dont have any pictures because I run chrome on all my trucks I will post a pic the next time I dye anything for my friends.
Old 08-04-2007, 06:43 PM
Wisconsin Nitro

i just boiled some water, put it in an old pot, added the entire packet and sat and stured for 30 mins but with out it still being on the burner
Old 08-06-2007, 10:48 PM
Wisconsin Nitro

went out and got some new ones today and dyed them correctly except this time it only took like 10 or 5 mins to do
Old 08-06-2007, 10:57 PM
ohgrfreak

Boiled water in a large pot, added the powder (I use RIT dye), and let simmer for a minute, then let the wheels stew until the desired color depth is reached. Here's most of recently dyed wheels I've done:

These are stock nylon Traxxas wheels dyed orange

This is what happens when you try to dye a undyable nylon wheel, the dye doesn't take as well and the wheel warps, the wheels on the right are Losi, which came out perfectly

Again, the rears are dyed Traxxas wheels, the fronts are HPI's that came black
Old 08-06-2007, 11:09 PM
jymellis
My Feedback: (7)

thanx guys!awesome thread!

jym
Old 08-06-2007, 11:21 PM
kavvika

Here's my Rustler project. Stripped the chrome off the wheels with easy-off then boiled them in black rit dye for about 20 minutes. Might re-do it to get them a shade darker, as they turned somewhat purple later.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:41 AM
hkenvy91

ORIGINAL: Gado

Rit dye Royal blue in boiling water, my first attempt
I put too much, actually the whole package in the water and ended up with purple not blue

second attempt this time i diluted the water

I also did the wing
when I took the picture they werent freshly dyed they had been abused
lol got the same rims in chrome
Old 08-07-2007, 08:27 AM
Alexxx

ORIGINAL: kavvika

Here's my Rustler project. Stripped the chrome off the wheels with easy-off then boiled them in black rit dye for about 20 minutes. Might re-do it to get them a shade darker, as they turned somewhat purple later.

i see your going with the VXL look LOL
Old 08-07-2007, 09:51 AM
ohgrfreak

To get the VXL effect, you'd want to get dyable chrome wheels, but black is always pimp no matter what.