Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

How do I access the needle valves in a cowled engine?

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

How do I access the needle valves in a cowled engine?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2003, 05:37 AM
WA8INZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I access the needle valves in a cowled engine?

I have a Extra 330L plane with a closed cowl, how do I access the needle valves. Anybody have any ideas on this.
Old 03-15-2003, 06:01 AM
edge_fanatic
My Feedback: (4)

Default drill...

Drill small holes as access points. If the needles allow slotted screwdrivers (as for larger gas motors, for example) then make the holes big enough for the screwdriver to pass.

If you have a situation where you have a knob for the high and a screwdriver slot for the low end, as in the OS .61FX, then use piano wire leading through the hole to the outside for the high needle. The low needle won't need much adjusting, but can be accommodated as described earlier.
Old 03-15-2003, 06:31 AM
beachhangar

On my H9 Sukhoi with ZDZ I fashioned a small hardwood block holding a pair of brass tubes that just fit over the OD of the adjustment screws (L and H). The tubes were cut to within a quarter inch of the cowl. It is now possible to adjust with a long straight bladed screwdriver either screw (and know which it is) while the engine is running. Initally tried polyvinyl tubing but was unsucessful with it. Have not had any perceived negative effects from this tubing touching the engine screws. No perceptible fretting or wear of the tubing or screw heads after 20 flights.
Old 03-15-2003, 10:25 AM
WA8INZ

Thanks Mike. I did like you stated but used a small block of PVC and inserted large fuel line out to the inner edge of the cowl it works out great.
Bill
Old 03-15-2003, 01:46 PM
Diablo-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

On the ZDZ-80, I drilled a hole in the top of the cowl for a screwdriver to fit through.
Old 03-15-2003, 02:35 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Solder a hex head cut off a bolt on the adjusting screw....then drill a hole just big enough for a balldriver to go through cowl. The ball driver will never slip off the screw-head like a plain slot screwdriver will. If you try it you will never go back to anything else. Captinjohn
Old 03-15-2003, 02:45 PM
beachhangar

Captinjohn -

I wanted to do the socket head over the slots but was worried that regular solder wouldn't hold in the vibration and silver solver would take too much heat from a torch and damage the carb.

Did you solder with the screws in or out of the carburetor ?
lead/tin solder or silver solder ?

thanks
Old 03-15-2003, 03:45 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Take the screw out of carb.....sand, file or grind a clean surface....tin it with reg solder or use silver solder. You may be able to use ca or epoxy. The strength is not to important. You NEVER want to seat a needle tight....the fastest way to ruin it. Capt,n