Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

large homebuild starters

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2003, 12:56 PM
Low Level J

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default large homebuild starters

would like instructions how to build one from scratch ( motorcycle - Outboard Motor Starter?)
Old 03-18-2003, 04:12 AM
geardaddy
My Feedback: (27)

Have made them in the past from Honda accord and dodge colt starters.
Old 03-19-2003, 06:47 AM
rcplane-RCU
My Feedback: (7)

Default Home made starter

I have one made from a Toyota but any starter from a small car that two bolts go all the way through will work fine, Take two pieces of aluminum or? 1/8"or a little less would be fine3 1/2" x 10", and draw a center line running lengthwise. Anyway take two wooden dowels or something similar for handles and hold them in your hands one on each side of the starter, space them wide enough from the starter for your fingers to clear a bit. Have someone measure the distance from center to center of the handles. make markes on the aluminum that width on the center line. Then take and measure the distance between the two bolts (that go all the way through the starter) and mark them centered between the handle marks. MAKE SURE that the contacts for the electrical wires will be out of your way when using the starter, this means the marks will most not likely line up on the center line but the starter will be. drill the holes, take the bolts out of the starter and put them through the first piece of aluminum (or whatever matterial, even Hardwood but thin) through the starter , thaen through the second piece and secure. put the handles on the same. then hold the starter in your hands like you were going to use it BUT put your right thumb up on the aluminum, this is where you mount the switch (a momentary starter push button type) make a box just big enough for a tractor, mower type battery to go on 1 side and the starter on the other side (it will balance that way when you carry it) mount a silinoid on the box next to the battery add 4-5 foot of proper wire and voila! whew I hope all this wrighting helped because my fingers and back are burning. OH YA you will have to buy the size cup and rubber you want then thread the starter or the cup the correct size and put a lock nut inside for safety. Mike
Old 03-20-2003, 04:04 AM
R. C. Day
My Feedback: (7)

David,
I have already begun my first attempt at an electric starter. I started out with a starter from a 12 hp lawn tractor. I will use the starter solenoid and battery as well. I am working out the details as I go, by the seat of the pants if you will. I will post as I make progress.

R. C.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	64280_22766.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	38715  
Old 03-20-2003, 11:59 PM
Big_Bird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Here is a photo of my converted starter. It is from a Mitsubisi V6. The starter is a Nippondenso (sp). I have yet to find a giant scale engine that this starter will not spin with athourity. It is geared and has lots of torque.

Normally, when activated, the output shaft moves forward to push a gear into contact with the flywheel and then a contact is made to spin the motor. You have to remove the spring which retracts the output shaft. Also remove the output gear. Obtain a Miller drive cone and center drill it to fit the shaft. I believe I used a 1/2" bit. Drill the side of the drive cone to accept a set screw. Pull the shaft forward and drop about 5 washers over it. While the shaft is still forward, install the drive cone. The washers space the drive cone out and allow the pushing force to press against the output bearing.

I bought a heavy duty switch from Auto Zone and cut one end off of a set of jumper cables to use as the power cord. I also installed a finger guard. The shape of the starter is very comfortable to hold with out auxilliary handles.

Ken
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	64453_709.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	38716  
Old 03-21-2003, 02:37 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The small car starters usually tend to be cheaper than the lawn mower types. There are more of them in the junkyard. It keeps the cost down.

Enjoy,

Jim
Old 03-23-2003, 04:04 PM
Anchorboy46
My Feedback: (6)

Wow! This is so great! I have a huge cub with weedwacker engine and discovered it wont start with conventional starter. hafta make bigbird's starter. Thank you! Mike
Old 03-23-2003, 06:25 PM
Dago Red
My Feedback: (11)

Im building a 1/4 scale monster truck, using a 5 HP engine, might have to try a eletric start on it. just got to bend the tubing and give it to a friend to weld up, should be a awsome truck. maybe put my 18 HP briggs & straton engine in it, lol.
Old 03-24-2003, 05:17 AM
Anchorboy46

Default gyros electric starter

Dude yer not gonna need no 1/4 scale truck once you git your hands on your new Monster Truck!! All my best,Michael
Old 03-24-2003, 09:46 PM
Dago Red
My Feedback: (11)

lol, true, its just the challenge to build it what i want, but i cant wait till the T-maxx gets here, 2 days till i think.
Old 04-07-2003, 06:04 AM
frequent flyer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I used my Go-Kart starter and put a 3" cup on it. My cart is a 100cc 16 hp engine and it spins it fine. As I thought it spins every gaser that I have, no problem. This Go- kart started was in a self contained mounting with a motorcycle battery, not to heavy. I took it off and put jumper cables on it. Much lighter and easier to handle now. The starter was about $99.00 and the 3" cup at tower hobbies was about $43.00.