Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

spraying plane with polyurethane

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

spraying plane with polyurethane

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 06:44 PM
RC-Captain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spraying plane with polyurethane

I just wanted to know what the results were after you have done this. I am putting together a plane that recommends this to prevent the covering from wrinkling and peeling.

P.S. pics would be appreciated

CAP
Old 08-01-2007, 07:17 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: spraying plane with polyurethane

Waterbase polyurethane does not yellow with age, oil base polyurethane DOES YELLOW with age. The yellowing starts at about 6 - 8 months and is quite noticable on light colors.

WB Poly is fuel RESISTANT with the following caveats:

1. Let the poly dry for a MINIMUM of 7 days before exposing to glow fuel residue.

2. Do not let the exhaust residue remain on the finish for over 4 hours. After 4 hours the finish WILL soften.

I don't know what type of covering you are planing to use, however, I have not heard of ANY covering that says to coat with poly to "PREVENT WRINKLING AND/OR PEELING". I suggest using a decent quality covering such as Ultracote for a film and SolarTex for a fabric. It is suggested that SolarTex have a clear coat put on it. Solartex has a more open weave and the colored Solartex is fuel proof - the clear coat is to prevent staining of the fabric and to make cleaning easier.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:52 PM
RC-Captain

I am jsut curious, maybe it will be benificial for me to paint or spray it on areas where the covering was trimmed and tacked onto the plane? Waiting seven days will be almost impossible.

I don't know what was used to cover the model.

How do I know whether my polyurethane is water based or not ? It is a clear gloss ACE brand.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:12 AM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

It will say on the can water based poly. You can also look to see what you thin it with. If it thins with anything other than water in is not water based poly.

I cant imagine how wb poly would keep covering from wrinkling though.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:44 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't want to wait the 7 days, use Ultracote or Lustercrap clear - drying time is 72 hours AND it is fuel proof also.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:30 PM
Redback

If you use Ultracote check it with your paint first.

I have had Ultracote cause some types of paint to blister. Think it may have been acrylics but not sure.

Terry
Old 08-24-2007, 10:09 AM
jessiej

ORIGINAL: Redback

If you use Ultracote check it with your paint first.

I have had Ultracote cause some types of paint to blister. Think it may have been acrylics but not sure.

Terry
I have found that Lustercote too is unfriendly to some finishes. "Test first." is good policy.

It would be helpful to know what kind of material we wish to coat in order to prevent "wrinkling and peeling".

jess