Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Hheellpp!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Hheellpp!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2003, 02:34 AM
NitroMedic
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hheellpp!!!!

Good evening ladies & geltlemen,

I'm new here so please go easy on me. I'm very interested in turbine jets and was wondering if anyone could give me some references like videos, books, websites, etc. that would help me in my acclimation process. Any info would be much appreciated. I'm looking forward to seeing more of you guys. Thanks again.
Old 03-17-2003, 04:46 AM
sideshow
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hheellpp!!!!

Medic, I suggest you just hang out here for a while. There is a treasure trove of information posted here every day. Read everything you can. When you are ready to take the plunge (buy stuff), there is a large LA contingent with a wealth of knowledge they probably would be happy to share with a willing recipient.

Good luck and keep reading.

Bob
Old 03-18-2003, 01:21 AM
NitroMedic

Default Hheellpp!!!!

Fantastic, thanks Mr. Show! I've only been a part of this forum for less than a week now and I gotta say, Myyyy gracious there's some insight to be sought after in there! Thanks again for your input.
Old 03-18-2003, 01:56 AM
Gordon Mc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hheellpp!!!!

Traplet (http://www.traplet.com) publishes a great mag - RCJI (Radio Controlled Jets International), and they also publish a number of books on model turbines & jets.

There's also a ton of info available online. Here's a couple to get you started... each has links to other jet sites, so you will soon get a snowball effect:

+ don't forget to check out which jet events are near you, and attend a few so that you can meet up with ilke minded folk there.

Gordon
Old 03-18-2003, 01:59 AM
Dustflyer
My Feedback: (13)

Default Getting started

Nitro,

A few things...

Subscribe to RC Jet International. Get some videos from SKS. The Florida Jets, Superman, and Top Gun videos are good. Ask around, find out who flies jets at your local clubs and give them a call. RCU jets forum is a great source of info.

Check out web sites for all the turbine manufacturers like JetCat, Simjet, AMT, Wren/JDE, BMT, PST, FTE, have I forgotten anyone? Don't forget the model makers. For turbine trainers I like the FACET, Super Reaper and AV8R. There is very good safety information on the BVM site. Ask a lot of questions. Be aware of who has something to sell and who is a satisfied user.

You will need something to transition into the turbine. I never flew ducted fans but if I was doing it over I might look very seriously into the Parkinson Jaguar. Fast airplanes like the Patriot or Diamond Dust are also an option but I would discuss that with your local jet CD's first. The AMA can help you find out who is in your area. Your jet CD is a one of your best resources!

Start practicing with a simulator. I really like the F-16 in the Ikarus Aerofly Professional (still waiting for that HotSpot add-on)but I am told the Great Planes Real Flight is also an excellent simulator. RC simulators are one of the greatest advancements in RC!

Good luck!
Old 03-18-2003, 03:07 AM
NitroMedic

Default Hheellpp!!!!

Beautiful!! Thanks a million guys, for your responses! I plan to be in this hobby at least until I can't rebuild a simple nitro engine any more. Well, I'll be doing it as long as my wife allows it. LOL I have noticed an abundance of info. to be found on the web. Thanks again!!
Old 03-18-2003, 03:13 AM
DavidR
My Feedback: (1)

Default Hheellpp!!!!

Nitromedic,

A couple of upcoming jet events close to you that you will see a lot of action at are Central Texas Jet Rally, Austin TX the weekend of April 12, 13th, and Mississippi Afterburner the weekend of May the 29,30 and June 1st. There has been some talk of Shreveport holding an event again in the middle of July but nothing firm on that yet. Depending on how far you are from Baton Rouge you could hook up with Eddie Weeks, and Phil Nuza both are excellent sources of information, and they are both really beginning to learn how to fly with the tutoring the Mississippi Gang have been giving them. Then you have Wocketman who lives in Slidell, but he has a thing for livestock so if you have a farm keep him away from the pigs.

David Reid
Old 03-18-2003, 03:23 AM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Hheellpp!!!!

Oink, oink. Then there's Lane (he he).
Old 03-18-2003, 03:43 AM
NitroMedic

Default Hheellpp!!!!

Hey there Mr. Dave,

Thanks for all the valuable info, it's much appreciated! I would probably have a better shot at Shreveport when & if they get a rally lined up. Now, if B.R. gets into some rally action, then I'm THERE! My wife & I frequent the Red Stick on a regular basis being that's where most of our friends still live. On that note, does anyone know Danny Weeks' or Mr. Nuza's e-mail address? Thanks again fellas!
Old 03-18-2003, 03:49 AM
bcovish
My Feedback: (8)

Default Event

Nitro

As David said, the Central TX Jet Rally will be held April 11-13. For info go www.austinrc.org. Check with the Baton Rouge people, maybe you could hook up with them.
Old 03-18-2003, 04:09 AM
Woketman

Default Hheellpp!!!!

I don't know about Danny Weeks, but his retarded brother Eddie's address is [email protected] . Phil hangs out here too.
Old 03-18-2003, 06:55 PM
Dustflyer
My Feedback: (13)

Default JPO

NitroMedic,

I forgot to mention www.jetpilots.org. Click on "Turbine Awareness," it is an excellent introduction to turbine flight and safety issues.
Old 03-18-2003, 06:59 PM
paulj1969

Default Hheellpp!!!!

Nitro, i have a website dedicated to model jet engines, there is info on homebuild engines etc and has loads of great links to other sites. check it out here http://www.microjets.co.uk

there is no R/C feeling to beat flying a jet powered ship i can tell you.

all the best

Paul
Old 03-18-2003, 07:45 PM
Gordon Mc

Default Hheellpp!!!!

Originally posted by woketman
I don't know about Danny Weeks, but his retarded brother Eddie's address is [email protected] .

BAD woketman !! You owe me a new keyboard, as this one now has coffee sprayed all over it

Gordon
Old 03-18-2003, 07:56 PM
Woketman

Default Hheellpp!!!!

You should have sealed it with Household Goop!
Old 03-18-2003, 08:47 PM
DavidR
My Feedback: (1)

Default Hheellpp!!!!

Retreaded brother Eddie.....now that was good!!!!
BTW when I said they were excellent sources of information I did NOT say it was good information!
Old 03-18-2003, 08:52 PM
aparchment

Default Lane contact

Speaking of Lane (Veillon), do any of you LA guys know Lane's phone number? He wrote me a couple weeks ago, I responded twice but haven't heard a peep from him since.

If someone has contact info. I would appreciate your PMing it to me.

Thanks much.

Antony

------------------------
Old 03-19-2003, 12:45 PM
NitroMedic

Default Hheellpp!!!!

LOL!! Thanks for all the replies, guys! I hope my journey will be as helpful throughout as it has been just in the past week or so. You guys are awesome!! Thanks again!