Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

ARTES TURBINE SPOOL TIME ON EAGLE AND RHINO?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

ARTES TURBINE SPOOL TIME ON EAGLE AND RHINO?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 03:36 PM
FLYTICOUN
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ARTES TURBINE SPOOL TIME ON EAGLE AND RHINO?

Hello guy any one have try the artes eagle or the rhino?What is the spool time mean idle to max power in second and max power to idle?

thank you for your time guy!
Old 08-10-2005, 03:44 PM
Dave Presta
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: ARTES TURBINE SPOOL TIME ON EAGLE AND RHINO?

I have experienced the Rhino and to tell you the truth, I cant count that fast! Sorry that I am unable to give you exact numbers, but the response time is the fastest that I have ever flown. Incredible power coupled with this response time makes for a wild ride, enjoy it.

Dave
Old 08-10-2005, 11:23 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a RAM 750 and a JetCat P-80 4.5-5 seconds [:'(][:@][&o]

my friends ARTES EAGLE 1.5 is a good guess but it is FAST!!!
Old 08-10-2005, 11:49 PM
incomming

Cant give you an exact time, but from what i have seen, once you unlock the breaks you better hold on, when you rotate, your gonna go vertical like no other......
oh yeah dont blink
Old 08-11-2005, 02:03 AM
Lt. Dan
My Feedback: (21)

The Artes Eagle that I timed was 7 seconds from idle to 128K, same as a P-120 from idle to 124k.

I haven't seen a Rhino in person, but I saw a video of it compared to a (Titan or P-160, don't recall) and the spool times were about the same, something like 4.5- 6 seconds.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:14 AM
Dave Presta
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Lt. Dan

I haven't seen a Rhino in person, but I saw a video of it compared to a (Titan or P-160, don't recall) and the spool times were about the same, something like 4.5- 6 seconds.
I have 180 flights on the Titan, and the spool up time is defenately not the same as the Rhino!
Old 08-11-2005, 07:53 AM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

ORIGINAL: Lt. Dan

The Artes Eagle that I timed was 7 seconds from idle to 128K, same as a P-120 from idle to 124k.

7 Seconds [sm=confused.gif].... I'd say that engine needs to be checked...!
Throttle response on the Artes line is the fastest I personally have experienced (with the exception of the Merlin). Never timed them but having flown many of the available brands on the market, you "Know" when one is notably faster.... I have owned both, the P-160 and Titan, spool up time on the Eagle and Rhino are less than half...
I love my Jetcats but....Artes has got it goin' on [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 08-11-2005, 07:58 AM
Glorfindel

Please guys, stop telling us that you 'know' or you 'feel' the RPM and give us TRUE NUMBERS taken with chrono....
Old 08-11-2005, 08:16 AM
lov2flyrc

Less than half is not accurate enough? Does it really matter if it is 3.2 seconds or 3.85 seconds? Next time I run them in the stand I will time it...
Old 08-11-2005, 08:25 AM
BluFox
My Feedback: (10)

Time to chime in and post the answers to the specific question asked. First, thanks to all who posted their personal experiences or observations. It means everything to our success!
Spool up time for the Super Eagle and Rhino are within 1 second of each other. Specifically, the Rhino will accelerate from idle to full or wide open throttle in 3 seconds or less. The Eagle is so close it is hard to measure even with a chronograph. The chronograph is subject to the users reaction time which can be different with each user. This information is based upon the parameters set in the ECU. If they have not been changed by the operator, you will experience similar transition times and performance.
Having just returned from the World Jet Masters, the most often asked question was; "what did you do to that Rhino to achieve that acceleration time?" My answer was: "nothing other than set it to factory specification." I wish to dispell the myth that if we are demonstrating any of our turbines at the various Jet Rallyes across the continent, that they are hand picked and set up special. They are not. They are picked off the shelf when needed and installed. Further, any person at any time can purchase any Artes product from any demonstration airplane. We do not play games. We simply spend hundreds of hours in research and developement. Our production facility is at 6,500 feet. We test everything possible at this elevation, then load up and spend the time to drive to sea level, set up our test equipment resulting in parameters necessary for sea level operation. So, there you have it.
Last, the ECU has many parameters which are necessary for successful operation. Eight of these are available to the owner/operator. The remaining require the knowledge to "unlock" the ECU to gain exposure to them. Should the owner/operator gain access and upset these parameters, the results may not be successful. We have seen this and experienced this in the past. Thanks for reading.

Yours for success,
Eric Clapp
jetArtes Gulf Coast
www.jetartes.com

Old 08-11-2005, 12:15 PM
Lt. Dan
My Feedback: (21)

I got that response last time I posted about the Eagle. Saw it with my own eyes, watched the clock and the tach while I ran it. It hit 124 faster than a 120, but the last 4k took a bit longer.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:39 PM
lov2flyrc

Dan,
Not questioning your word, just stating that this is not typical of the an Artes engine and would indicate something is not quite right. What your describing is usually a temp related issue... Either the engine is running hot for some reason or the TC is inserted too far into the nozzle.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:08 PM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

What about the Bee engine. similar (3 sec) spool-up?
Old 08-24-2007, 06:24 PM
noahb
My Feedback: (67)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anybody know the spool up time on the Super Bee?

Thanks
Old 08-24-2007, 09:13 PM
PeterDays

No idea but it is interesting to know that the Rhino is "not the same" as the Titan... ...but faster
Old 08-24-2007, 09:42 PM
Synthetic
My Feedback: (18)

I would like to know how the Rhino compares in spool up time against the Titan SE. Anyone know?
Don
Old 08-26-2007, 11:34 AM
noahb

any one know off hand about how fast a Super Bee should spool up from idle to full? Mine I believe is taking too long at around 5-6 seconds.

thanks
Old 08-26-2007, 01:35 PM
Robrow

Should be quicker, check your thermocouple is not inserted too far into the exhaust.

Rob.
Old 08-26-2007, 01:54 PM
noahb

Yeah, checked that. It's around 1/16th like the manual states.

also, it has been popping at idle. Flamed out twice while at idle. I have contacted Eric and it's going in to him for him to look at.

Not sure why its popping at idle. i have tried diffrent (know good fuel) and it still does it. No air in system (have checked this over and over).

When it pops, it shoots a flame out.

Anyway, if I could get someone in here to chime in and let me know what there spool up time is I would appreciate it.
Old 08-26-2007, 04:23 PM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, I don't know about the spool-up time, but the popping at idle is usually indicative of (at least on RAMs it was) a vaporization tube that is not vaporizing properly. If the fuel needle on a RAM was not oriented properly, some of the fuel would not vaporize completely at idle allowing a drip to build up at the forward end of the vaporization tube. Once in a while the drip would come loose and enter the primary combustion zone. This results in a momentary fuel-rich situation, a pop, and some flames out the a$s end. I don't think it will hurt anything, but it won't help anything either.
Old 08-26-2007, 07:00 PM
noahb

thanks for the input. It's going in to Eric and I know he will take care of it.

Still, would like someone with a super bee to chime in here and give his spool up time from idle to full.

Thanks