Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Are gassers practical for storage indoors ?

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Are gassers practical for storage indoors ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 06:56 AM
Bigsasquatch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are gassers practical for storage indoors ?

Currently working on 1.60 powered EF Yak at the moment, but looking to build a couple of larger birds earlier next year.........

My power options will either be to go larger glow ( MOKI 180 / 210 ) or gas ( had my eye on a Brillelli 46 ).......the only thing that is stopping me going down the gasser route is the fact that my plane storage area is inside the house.

May seem a silly question , but wondered what the residual smell is like from a gasser once the tank has been drained and engine run down ? Also was thinking if there were any getarounds such as wrapping and bagging the engine end of the fuse post flight.....

Cheers

BIG S
Old 09-06-2007, 07:23 AM
easton24
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Are gassers practical for storage indoors ?

Wont be a problem.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:28 AM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

About the only vapors you may get are from the vent line coming from the fuel tank. For gas engines, you would normally run a line to a fuel dot and plug that. You can do the same thing with the vent line, just use some sort of plug, like a bolt, to close it off, just don't forget to take it out before you start the engine. Gas engine pump can collapse a tank in short order.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:49 AM
NikolayTT

Anyway, by several unexplanable reasons the smell is there long time after even the last drop of gasoline is gone.
I had the same dilema; purchased the engine, run it in and store is clean and dry. It had smell for about couple
weeks after that and it is not for the house. Of course from House to House there is a big difference. I would go for
Gas engine when I cannot use Glow, and that seems far above 2cu, the size which makes sense on gas seems to
be at least 80cc. And even then, the big scale racing guys keep converting the Zenoa 80cc into glow for power.
Well, for those sizes above 180(26cc) I think every thing should be a scaled appropriately, House should have
a Hangar for the Airplanes, and the Car to transport them should be "enlarged" at least with a trailer or replaced
by a van. After all wanderings I got a new 26cc MVVS and couple second-hand OS-BGX-1 and that was the
solution of the smell. Also no bother with ex*****ive Ignition system which requires expensive Receiver
and complicated Walbro Carbs etc.I am afraid the size of you airplane does not justfy the gas-trouble at
least by factor of 2-3 times. Well, of course personal preferences are the judgement indeed.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:12 AM
tim220225
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have more odor from the gas can than the engine or plane. I have mine in the shop unless I am going to the field, no smell from the plane. I would be careful plugging the vent line as I have had a tank collapse doing that. Could have been heat but who knows.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:41 AM
altavillan

Just crawl under your car and pretend you are working on it. Then the wife can't tell it's the plane stinking and she thinks you care enough to fix the car when needed. Might evan make you a hero around home.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:53 AM
splais
My Feedback: (25)

I have six gasoline engine planes (50-95cc) in my two car garage and don't smell anything, ever. As stated above, it's more important were your gas can goes. Just keep them clean and pump out tank when done flying. I don't even plug the vent line.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:09 AM
Capt Jim
My Feedback: (168)

Gas stinks...there is absolutely no doubt about it.
Never even think of storing the gas carrier in the house. It somehow allows a strong gas aroma to get out. The planes are a little less of a problem if you keep them scrupulously clean. If you must store them in the house, try using "White Gas"...Coleman fuel is a good example of such a product. It doesn't have the smell of gas, and burns well in our motors. You'll appreciate the no smell in your vehicle as well. If there is any question about the smell...just place your lawn mower gas can inside your closed car for an hour or so on a warm summer day. You'll get the picture real quick!
Old 09-06-2007, 09:19 AM
NikolayTT

Capt Jim,
That nicely low-smell gas is different in price also; what is the ratio ?
Usually it is about 3-4 times more expensive than normal one and
those big engines have good amount consumtion for sure.
Nick
Old 09-06-2007, 10:16 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

Mine are stored in my "hangar" in the house and I don't notice a problem with odors, but I don't have a wife to notice either...

I do run mine dry at the end of each day's flying, that is I pull all the fuel I can get out of the tank with my gas can setup, then start the engines and let them idle till they get all the clunk allows.

The Coleman fuel thing has it's proponents, but I suggest you first consult your engine manufacturer's recommendations as most will not only not recommend it, but void your engine warranty if you use it and have problems. That consideration aside, there are opinions all over the board on this question. I suggest you do some research on the question and then decide if it's something you want to try?
Old 09-06-2007, 11:04 AM
BillS

I keep my gas airplanes in the garage along with the chain saw, weed eater and several blowers. My hands and clothes generally smell like oil, gas, diesel, methanol, nitro or female anyway and I don't notice.

Bill
Old 09-06-2007, 11:39 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: BillS

I keep my gas airplanes in the garage along with the chain saw, weed eater and several blowers. My hands and clothes generally smell like oil, gas, diesel, methanol, nitro or female anyway and I don't notice.

Bill

---------------

Ummmmmm - female!!! Zenoah or Quadra Aerrow (however you spell it)?

Me too on keeping the lawn gassers in the garage along with the models. No gasoline cans in the under the house garage though. It could void your homeowners insurance if they want to be picky, should something happen. This is coming from an ex fireman and an insurance salesman.

I tried Coleman Fuel in my converted lawn engines. Not as much power, not quite as crisp to throttle, but okay if you're just poking around the sky in a Cub. I do like the fact that it doesn't go bad as quickly as pump gas - if at all. Plus, to me, it doesn't smell as bad. Most folks would think that you just opened a squirt bottle of charcoal lighter fluid if they did smell it. When this batch is gone, I doubt if I'll buy more Coleman. Just isn't worth the extra money to me.

Old 09-06-2007, 11:40 AM
Bigsasquatch

Thanks for all the advice so far

I guess the point about going gas when you are to big for glow is a reasonable one, as I am not planning on going above 25% and a Moki 180/210 or some of the bigger 4 strokers should be enough power at that size.......

As for the white gas, I'm in the UK , so don't think there is a chance of finding it anyway.......

Still undecided...........

Cheers

BIG S
Old 09-06-2007, 11:44 AM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

One way to fix the smell problem is to wrap around the cowl section with a plastic bag (e.g., 15 gallon trash bag) and tie it down. The plane looks bandaged but I guarantee no smell. Can bag the gas-can in the car on the way to the field too.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:49 AM
nonstoprc

Gas engines definitely can offer more power, and thus more ways to fly the plane.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:52 PM
jbarnes

I have six gassers stored in my basement shop/hanger. I do as suggested earlier, run em dry at the field before the come into the house. Gas cans are stored in the garage, never inside.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:28 PM
nonstoprc

Definitely not inside the room, other than garage. Cans also be stored in a shaded area outside.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:47 PM
Bass1

Me too on keeping the lawn gassers in the garage along with the models. No gasoline cans in the under the house garage though. It could void your homeowners insurance if they want to be picky, should something happen. This is coming from an ex fireman and an insurance salesman.
What about storing gas cans in your standard side of the house garages? What do the fire departments and insurance companys think about that?
Old 09-06-2007, 06:50 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bass1

What about storing gas cans in your standard side of the house garages? What do the fire departments and insurance companys think about that?
No problem with well capped and approved containers.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:53 PM
Truckracer

ORIGINAL: splais

I have six gasoline engine planes (50-95cc) in my two car garage and don't smell anything, ever. As stated above, it's more important were your gas can goes. Just keep them clean and pump out tank when done flying. I don't even plug the vent line.
Pretty much the same story here. I really dislike the smell of gas but have never had a problem either in the house or in the garage. Now if you really have a problem, just park your airplanes near the cat pan ..... I guarantee the gasoline smell won't be a problem then![:'(]
Old 09-06-2007, 07:11 PM
nonstoprc

Was the smell as harm as the fume, or just a smell?
Old 09-06-2007, 07:40 PM
Yo! Team Green

Hey guys. My partners and I switched to 100 octane LowLead Avgas. The local airport FBO's sell it as "100LL" for about $1 more than Regular at the gas station. NO SMELL. All 5 planes run great - DL50, DA50, Stihl 50cc, Brison 4.2, and a G62.

I promise that your significant other will not smell your plane in the house - even with vent lines open and no plastic bags covering the cowl. Keep your plane clean and STORE YOUR FUEL CAN ELSEWHERE!
>Thom
Old 09-06-2007, 08:00 PM
Truckracer

ORIGINAL: Yo! Team Green

Hey guys. My partners and I switched to 100 octane LowLead Avgas. The local airport FBO's sell it as "100LL" for about $1 more than Regular at the gas station. NO SMELL. All 5 planes run great - DL50, DA50, Stihl 50cc, Brison 4.2, and a G62.

I promise that your significant other will not smell your plane in the house - even with vent lines open and no plastic bags covering the cowl. Keep your plane clean and STORE YOUR FUEL CAN ELSEWHERE!
>Thom
Various fuels such as Avgas, 100 octane racing gas (both leaded and unleaded) and Coleman stove fuel have been tried by quite a few people to get away from the odor. Some users have success, others don't. The big problem with avgas is the lead content. After awhile and with our constantly changing throttle requirements, the plugs usually lead fowl and performance goes away. Some engines may run hotter, some may put out less power than with regular gasoline. I'm sure many will run just fine. The racing gas may cause some damage to our carbs rubber parts ... depending on the part of the country it comes from. Bottom line, yes these alternative fuels smell better but most users change back to regular gasoline after a time. Your results may be good but overall, most will find some problem or another using these fuels.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:45 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: Bass1

-------------

It truly does depend upon the fire codes in the location and the particular insurance company and what their policy stated when it was issued. But it isn't a good idea to store larger amounts of fuel in the house anyway.

It wouldn't hurt to ask your insurance agent if he/she to check for policy criteria during your next visit for needed updates in your insurance/financial profile. Have the agent read over the policy with you and go over the specifics of the homeowner's policy. It sounds like a formiddable task, but it isn't and it is time well spent. I always found it odd that we can park automotive vehicles with full fuel tanks in those garages, but it was forbidden in some instances to have a single gallon of gasoline in a certified container in the same location. Go figure.

With some communities banning outbuildings, it gets tougher and tougher to comply with all of the little quirks of insurance policies. I would not ever provide an insurance company with the opportunity to wiggle out from under their obligation. After all, I worked for them. No, I'm not an expert - I am wary of them.

Most communities now have township and county websites where at least you can obtain names and phone numbers of folks you can call for the official call on any issue. Some even post many of their laws and ordinances in text form on the net, free for the downloading.

Ed Cregger
Old 09-07-2007, 01:47 AM
NikolayTT

Well, we have come to the point again = When one should use the Gas Engines ?
It looks there isn't a good alterantive on the Methanol, I keep my best plane on
the Wall in the Living room right after the flight and it is 26cc Glow.
It makes feel Very Nice to look at it time to time [sm=bananahead.gif], i.e.
why do you buld a nice bird and trow it in the dark garage ???