Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

NEW Gas engine FRL45

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 08:46 PM
bobzilla
My Feedback: (63)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default NEW Gas engine FRL45

Here is what I know about this engine from unitedhobbies website.
The price is listed as $199, but does not include shipping from oreint, but it appears to include ignition, and muffler.
Anyone have anymore knowledge of this engine?

[link]https://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITEDHOBBIES/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=5460[/link]
FRL45 Gas Engine

A very high quality engine whos factory has only just finished development and testing.
The 45cc engine puts out up to 7800rpm to give 3kw of power!
All engines come pre-tested and tuned from the factory. The factory that makes this motor is run by a big r/c enthusiest and he knows his engines.
This is no weed-whacker motor!

Spec.
Displacement: 45cc
Weight: 1584g
Carburettor: Diaphragm & Butterfly valve.
Prop Speed: 1700 ~ 7800rpm
Max power: 3kw
Suggested prop: 20x8, 20x10, 22x8 or larger
Ignition: DC-CD (6v)
Mixture: 25:1 to 40:1
Bore/Stroke: 43 x 31 mm
Size: 170mm long, 215mm wide, 215mm high (Including baffel)
Mount hole: 64mm x 64mm

This motor will suit most planes designed for a 30-50cc enigne. The motor is compact and light and will fit inside most cowls designed for these types of motors.

Full 12 month warranty provided.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98104.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	746730  
Old 09-06-2007, 06:29 AM
mfuess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: NEW Gas engine FRL45

Just another import engine.

They all seem to run OK, but the bottom line is, will you get service when needed. From first-hand experience, some take care of you... but most don't. All I can say with confidence is: *** You get what you PAY for ***
Old 09-07-2007, 03:57 AM
XJet
Banned

ORIGINAL: mfuess
They all seem to run OK, but the bottom line is, will you get service when needed. From first-hand experience, some take care of you... but most don't. All I can say with confidence is: *** You get what you PAY for ***
Not necessarily true.

I have a CRRCPro 45 and it cost US$299. It's worth not even 1/10th that because it was delivered with bearings that were incorrectly pressed (ie: hammered) into the castings. I replaced the bearings and found out why they had been hammered in -- the crankshaft was incorrectly pressed together so it was too long and placed an excessive thrust-loading on those bearings so they bound up.

Read the tales of woe that many others have had with this engine and you'll see that a lot of people didn't get $299 worth of value from that motor.

But... I also have a DL50 which cost me $370 including freight. That engine is worth easy twice that much -- just price a DL50 with muffler and you'll see what I mean.

So it's not true to say "you get what you PAY for" -- sometimes you get a lot less, sometimes you get a lot more.

But I won't be buying *any* piston-port engines out of China again, the basic concept of having a carby which draws air in at right-angles to the airflow is problematic for a start.

Old 09-07-2007, 05:44 AM
mfuess

ORIGINAL: XJet

ORIGINAL: mfuess
Not necessarily true.

I have a CRRCPro 45 and it cost US$299. It's worth not even 1/10th that because it was delivered with bearings that were incorrectly pressed (ie: hammered) into the castings. I replaced the bearings and found out why they had been hammered in -- the crankshaft was incorrectly pressed together so it was too long and placed an excessive thrust-loading on those bearings so they bound up.

Read the tales of woe that many others have had with this engine and you'll see that a lot of people didn't get $299 worth of value from that motor.

But... I also have a DL50 which cost me $370 including freight. That engine is worth easy twice that much -- just price a DL50 with muffler and you'll see what I mean.

So it's not true to say "you get what you PAY for" -- sometimes you get a lot less, sometimes you get a lot more.

But I won't be buying *any* piston-port engines out of China again, the basic concept of having a carby which draws air in at right-angles to the airflow is problematic for a start.

You discovered exactly what I was trying to be nice about. It's all about Quality Control. Most imports don't have a quality control program in place... (except Japan) The engines are often pounded together and shipped off. So you may get a good one, and you may not. The odds are not favorable. Japanese engine makers have excellent QC, and its likely you'll get a good engine virtually every time. This is also true in USA and UK. 3rd world engine makers have a lot of catching up to do.