Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Cheap! 45cc engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 06:32 PM
outacontrol41
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cheap! 45cc engine

Yet another 45cc engine on the market....a 45cc gasser priced 2/3 the cost of a G26! I'm in the market for a 50cc gas engine but what about this engine? Is this what an engine of this type SHOULD COST without an international brand name associated with it? Makes me wonder.......
https://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITED...idProduct=5460
Old 09-06-2007, 06:40 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Cheap! 45cc engine

based on some of the threads I have read here: http://www.rcgroups.com/united-hobbies-441/
I will "pass that action".
Old 09-06-2007, 08:31 PM
outacontrol41

Well, lets see.....

Good points
1.) Low prices

Bad points
1.) Poor service after the sale
2.) Do not answer emails to many customers
3.) Extremely long waits for products to arrive after ordering (some customers waiting months)
4.) Products shipped with hand written labels (counterfeit?) on them
5.) Out of stock on many items
6.) Rep passes the buck via email onto his vender when he gets a compaint
7.) Items missing from orders when they do come in

These are some of the things I read from the link to the other forum of people writing to and about United Hobbies. Whew!!! No thanks! A lot more bad stuff there about them than good. Thanks Terry for the heads up! For $200 you'll bring a lot of headache upon yourself if you decide to deal with these people. An up close look at that engine on their website seems to (to me anyway) reveal some rough casting on that engine cylinder head, plastic looking intake manifold and no brand name carb.[:@][:'(] Buyer beware on this one!!!
Old 09-06-2007, 10:04 PM
Mitsu1
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friend and I decided to jointly buy some of their better servos to see what shipping and quality is like from United Hobbies. We placed the order Sunday night and were emailed Monday afternoon saying they were shipped. Will chime back when they arrive and tell what it was like.[sm=72_72.gif]
Old 09-07-2007, 12:12 AM
outacontrol41

Playing it safe by buying little servos, huh? Order that engine. No, wait....order two. I dare ya'....I double dare ya'[sm=lol.gif]
Old 09-08-2007, 06:19 AM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: outacontrol41

Yet another 45cc engine on the market....a 45cc gasser priced 2/3 the cost of a G26! I'm in the market for a 50cc gas engine but what about this engine? Is this what an engine of this type SHOULD COST without an international brand name associated with it? Makes me wonder.......
https://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITED...idProduct=5460
No!
This is what a cheap chinese engine costs, produced by underpaid labor and exported by sales agencies out for a qiuck buck or two. Some of these engines even run quite well. However, due to the large number of engines with problems the shops that offer them will not get much profit, if any at all, and will soon stop selling. This leaves you, the user, out in the cold.
Old 09-08-2007, 07:42 AM
outacontrol41

I'm surprised, then, that RC Universe is advertising this especially cheap product on their website....which is where I got this info from. You get what you pay for has always been true, so I hope not too many people fall victim to this thinking it will perform and last as long as DA 50 or Evolution 45 or the like. I hope that if anyone decides to shell out 200 buks for this product, they will write in to tell us what they think of it. As for me, I won't be that person. I'm just not that brave and trusting.....
Old 09-08-2007, 08:28 AM
Jake Ruddy
My Feedback: (40)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The problem is so one will do just as you ask... but even if they come back in a year and say all is well how many gallons are they actually putting through it.

Many people can get away with a purchase like this because they go to the field put on a 10 min flight here and there and spend most of the day chatting. I am not saying there is anything wrong with that.. its not like I havent spent more time flying my mouth than flying on a day or two but you really want some gallons through it to see how it holds up.

Now if you have a guy who flys a lot then you can get better feedback... I want to hear about it after 5, 10 , 15 gallons not the first gallon when the engine hasn't been abused yet
Old 09-08-2007, 08:50 AM
outacontrol41

You are so right....everyone has different flight agendas, some fly for 10 min. at a time...some all day and can't get enough. The latter would be the true test. However, though I refuse to purchase an engine like this soley because of my suspicions it's not worthy, I will reserve my judgement until one of the major rc magazines run a test on it to determine worthiness. Those guys are very critical and the beens would be spilled if any flaws show up. Probably would not be fair to compare a $200 engine to a $600 one, but many of us would like to know how it does on it's own....even without comparing.
I wonder if such a test will come....