Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Fire Extinguishers?!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Fire Extinguishers?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2003, 02:34 PM
schroedm
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fire Extinguishers?!

Guys,

I see that JetCat recommend a CO2 extinguisher - is that what all you guys are using? It's just that I can only seem to get 2kg CO2 extinguishers here in the UK which are pretty large (wanted something a little smaller).

Does anyone know where in the UK I could get 1kg CO2 versions or are you using water/powder models??

Thanks,
Mark
Old 03-19-2003, 02:45 PM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The most common extinguisher here is the 5lb CO2 - basically the same as the 2kg one you are talking about.

Halon is another option, and I have one of them - but getting Halon refilled can be harder then getting CO2 refilled.

The water extinguisher may be used for e.g. putting out any grass fires that you start, but I wouldn't use it on the turbine. Dry powder should also not be used on the actual turbine unless you have absolutely no other option at the time and need to put the fire out regardless of the damage that you are about to inflict on the engine with that extinguisher. (The powder will act as an abrasive - you may as well put the engine in a sand-blasting machine.)

Gordon
Old 03-19-2003, 06:11 PM
weasel33

Default Halon

Hi Mark
Halon is the best jetline do one for about £30 quid
or go find your local extinguisher company and see if they
have any halon ones that have been exchanged
they usually sell them off cheap

regards
Brian
Old 03-19-2003, 07:30 PM
jason

Be carefull with Halon it will corrode your engine if you spray it on it. I always carry a Co2 one for a airframe/tail pipe fire and a Halon for a major problem . Halon is by far the best there is and the fire wont reignite when Halon is used but it is like throwning corrosive snot all over your creation.

jason
Old 03-19-2003, 08:28 PM
GSR
My Feedback: (145)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by jason
Be carefull with Halon it will corrode your engine if you spray it on it. I always carry a Co2 one for a airframe/tail pipe fire and a Halon for a major problem . Halon is by far the best there is and the fire wont reignite when Halon is used but it is like throwning corrosive snot all over your creation.

jason
???????? I have always been told that Halon was non corrosive-that was the main reason that it was used in computer and other sensitive electronic fire suppression roles. Fill me in here. Scott
Old 03-19-2003, 10:03 PM
HarryC

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

At the end of 2003, in Britain it becomes illegal to use a Halon extinguisher, that's why very few places will supply or refill them now. Disposal used to be free but with the impending deadline firms are now charging a fee to discharge and dispose of the Halon extinguishers. Certain full size aviation uses have been granted an exemption in law but not models. It is to comply with an international agreement called the Montreal Protocol due to the environmental effect of Halon. CO2 is the successor for our purposes and 2kg is the smallest available in Britain, though the gross weight is over 4kg, what a lump to haul around.

Harry
Old 03-20-2003, 12:31 AM
jason

Scott, it's just what ive read http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...689#post199181]