Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Question on a KBV/Dynamax combo?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Question on a KBV/Dynamax combo?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2003, 12:28 PM
Blueskies21
My Feedback: (34)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on a KBV/Dynamax combo?

I just picked up this combo at a great price..the KBV 82 engine is new and the Dynamax fan is in GC too.My question is not knowing the whole scope and view on these engines,what is the "theory" as what conditions it likes best..Does it perform best on jets with small intakes or large? and does it like short inlet distance or does it matter all that much.Reason I am asking is that I am looking to put this powerplant in my almost complete TG Interceptor which as many know has large intakes but rather lengthy inlet distance & the aircraft weighs 6 1/2 LBs with everything but the powerplant and that should bring it up to 10 1/2 LBs max as I weighed one of OS91/Dynamax combos & it weighed 3.5 Lbs.I am sure the KBV 82 weighs slightly less I'd imagine..I will be using a BVM pipe ..Any input would be greatly appeciated

thanks-Steve
Old 03-22-2003, 03:44 AM
Blueskies21

Hmmmm,no one has any info or input at all on the thread?

Steve
Old 03-22-2003, 05:52 AM
Thomson

Default Inlets

Steve,

The right person for you to call is Tom Cook. He is at JMP at 816-331-0356. Tom has tought me alot about inlets.

In summary,

The Dynamax needs about 85% of the fan area for inlets. Turbine inlets can be alot smaller. You can actually get away with a slightly smaller area with hardly any performance hit.

The tail pipe is not that sensitive to length. The optimal diameter is around 3.25-3.5 inches.

The inlet can be long but the angle must not be severe. If you look at the Starfire, you will see a great example of the angles Tom designed in the inlet for smooth airflow.

While many think the Starfire inlets are too large, I have seen that plane do 210 mph with a stock OS .91.

You should use his mixture value. It works very well. I use Wildcat fuel with great success.

Hope this helps...

Dave
Old 03-22-2003, 06:27 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default KBV 82

These are very nice motors, but I think you might have a hard time getting any power out of this combination, the Dynamax might not be a good match for the KBV powerband, the KBV is going to want to go about 23500 RPM, that will be tough on the Dynamax, don' the OS 91s go maybe 21 to 21500 in that fan?

I only run turbines now so I may be rusty but I had over 100 flights on the KBV 82 and I loved it, but it was in a Viojett.

Good luck
Old 03-22-2003, 11:58 AM
Blueskies21

Thanks guys

I thought the KBV output was quite a higher but wasnt 100% for sure.I think the KBV is my answer to push my interceptor to its outer limits as I am looking for.If terry holston & ben are seeing 165-187 mph level with theirs using stock 91's & dynamax I should be able to see higher speeds.I am looking for blistering speed outta this puppy w/o having to go to turbine . I think now the KBV will do just that,at worst case I will just buy a viojet fan but I 'll try the dynamax 1st and tach it & see how it performs.I will also call tom cook in the meantime since he is the mastermind behind the dynamax fan.

Steve
Old 03-22-2003, 03:33 PM
Mike Haddox
My Feedback: (5)

Just from my experience from years ago The Dynamax needs an OS 91 to get the most power. I might be wrong but the 82 probably won't work as well. The 82 seems to want more rpms and I don't think it will turn the Dynamax fast enough to reach it's potential. Mike
Old 03-22-2003, 05:17 PM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good idea on calling Tom Cook. He's never too busy to school you on the ins and outs.