Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Spray Guns

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Spray Guns

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2003, 10:05 PM
Kevin Greene
My Feedback: (85)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Spray Guns

I've decided to buy a new spray gun. I'm tired of half of my paint blowing away and being wasted with my older spray gun. I'm wanting to know what kind of high volume/low pressure guns you are using.

Thanks for your answers---Kevin
Old 03-21-2003, 10:55 PM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spray Guns

Hey Kevin,

This is the gun I have been using with great success, same one Bleacher Reid uses

http://www.allsprayguns.com/Merchant...egory_Code=GEO

Todd
Old 03-22-2003, 12:05 AM
Kevin Greene

Default Spray Guns

Thanks Todd!!! I knew that you and David were using the same gun I just could not remember which one.

That Walcom/Geo gun sure is nice but a bit small for my overall use. I occasionally will spray a car every now and then and I need a gun that can handle it all. I've been leaning toward this gun: http://www.allsprayguns.com/Merchant...egory_Code=DEV

This gun has both the 1.4 and 1.6 fliud tips for spraying topcoats and primer. Disposeable liners are included so the cup does not get dirty and a guage w/air valve is also included. Spraygun Depot has this gun on sale for only$129!!

I'm still open to changing my mind so any of you that know of something else please chime in.

Kevin

PS---Todd, What's a Revver Bro????
Old 03-22-2003, 12:32 AM
Kevin Greene

Default Spray Guns

I also gotta get one of these!!!!

http://www.allsprayguns.com/Merchant...egory_Code=DEV

Kevin
Old 03-22-2003, 04:02 AM
DavidR
My Feedback: (1)

Default Spray Guns

Kevin,

You need to make up your mind which you are going to paint more of..... if it's models you need the smaller gun. The Walcom with the 1.2 mm tip is ideal for this. DO a search (or call me) and I will tell you all the different tips, and accessories I have for mine that make it the ideal gun for model painting. If you are going to be spraying more cars then you need a 1.6 or larger tip, and a larger gun. I use an older but still good, suction feed spray gun for some of the panels, and racks that we have to build and paint for my customers.

DR

BTW the Walcom comes with the fancy smancy case.
Old 03-22-2003, 04:18 AM
sideshow
My Feedback: (11)

Default Spray Guns

I got the gun David and Todd recommended. I have no idea what I am doing but it seems to work very well. I got it on Ebay from Color Library in San Diego. Got it for $140.

Bob
Old 03-22-2003, 04:38 AM
Kevin Greene

Default Spray Guns

David,

Thanks for the info. I've done some reading in general concerning the HVLP guns. The larger tip is relative to the size of the gun. Since the air cap is smaller on the Walcom the fluid needle tip and fluid nozzle are smaller too but will still spray the same viscosity paint as the larger gun with the 1.4 tip. The 1.4 tip on the DeVillbiss will atomize the same viscosity paint as your smaller tip but will put out a larger spray pattern. (Fan) From what I've read the 1.6 tip is really good for the high viscosity/high build primers.

I'm torn between the two guns. I realize that with the Walcom I will get finer control but with the larger DeVillbiss I will be able to paint larger projects too. I can always turn down the pattern (fan) and the fluid with the larger gun...Decisions....Decisions....

My current gun has served me well and earned a lot of hardware for best finish/paint over the years....A siphon feed Binks model BBR. It was expensive in it's day ($450) The air cap that I have on it now is for spraying metalics and pearls. There are multiple holes in this air cap to really make the metalics and pearls stand on end. This gives you the highest reflectivity....It also wastes a LOT of paint due to the high atomization and high pressure. I've just been too lazy to buy the correct air cap. I would rather spend the money (about $60 for a new air cap) on a new gun. I just don't want to have to buy two guns to spray models and cars. I have a Pasche air brush for really fine work. I wish that I lived closer to you so that I could see your gun spray.

Kevin
Old 03-22-2003, 04:48 AM
Kevin Greene

Default Spray Guns

Here is a link for some HVLP Q and A....

http://www.spraygundepot.com/hvlpqanda.html

Kevin
Old 03-22-2003, 05:10 AM
DavidR
My Feedback: (1)

Default Spray Guns

You have seen my Phantom. The only thing I airbrushed on it was the inside of the inlets, just because I could not get the "big gun" Walcom in close enough. With the smaller tips and cups I was able to really dial the gun down and do the detail on the weathering on the back of it. I like the gun so much I will likely buy a spare just to have on hand. I have also considered a bigger HVLP gun but this one has served me well. I have sprayed high solids primers with it, and some metallics. I will be repainting my Bandit sometime before Afterburner (if I can get the time) and plan on shooting a trick finish on it.

DR

BTW you are only about 2 hours away up there in Jackson.
Old 03-22-2003, 03:59 PM
aparchment

Default Devilbiss option

Hey guys:

My lovely wife was kind enough to buy me the Geo/Walcom gun for Christmas. Unfortunately it didn't arrive until the 24th, so she also bought me the Devilbiss SRi as a backup (http://www.allsprayguns.com/Merchant...egory_Code=DEV). Once I had both guns side by side I chose the Devilbiss because I liked the workmanship a bit more as well as the feel. The Walcom came with more accessories including a larger paint cup. My local bodyshop guys said that I couldn't go wrong with either one.

The weather has not warmed up enough for me to use it yet, but I have several projects that need painting as soon as things warm up, and I will report back on its performance.

I think David is right about choosing equipment specific to your purpose. My local bodyshop guys refer to these smaller guns as "jamb guns" because they use them for detail work like door jambs.

Antony