Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Engine ID...

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 06:24 PM
Arbo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine ID...

I picked up this engine a while back. From what I understand, it's never been run. I believe at first I was told it
was a quadra (sp) 42cc. But it had a US Engines paper with it, and '41' is etched into the bottom of the fins. So I'm
now wondering if it's a US 41cc.

Being new to gas, I'm not sure where the cut off switch gets hooked up. There are three terminals (you can see in the pictures), any ideas?

Also, I see the hi and low mixture knobs as well as the carb adjust one. But what/where is the choke? It seems I always read about having
to choke gas motors.

Thanks,
Paul

Old 09-30-2007, 06:42 PM
t_driver
My Feedback: (43)

Default RE: Engine ID...

AS for the choke just put your finger over the carb and turn the prop with your hand 5 or 6 times and that will choke it.
Old 09-30-2007, 06:54 PM
Arbo

Thanks T_driver.

I found this:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/product_gu...?engine_id=419

And it seems it is the US Engines 41cc. Now to build a test stand and get it running.

Oh, I guess I still need to figure out the kill switch. If there is no switch hooked up at all, is it default 'on' or 'off'?

Thanks
Paul
Old 09-30-2007, 06:57 PM
boothg-3

its a us-41 the us-41 and the quadra 42 are the same engines , choke it with a finger over the intake and connect a kill switch between the connector that protrudes from the plastic portion of the coil and one of the terminals that is grounded on teh metal portion of the coil , the engine will run as it is with no switch attached the switch must complete a circuit between the two terminals to kill the ignition spark so if you install a toggle switch from a home store for example when teh switch is in its on position it will keep the engine from running
Old 10-01-2007, 05:52 AM
Dr1Driver

The kill switch is installed between the bare terminal on the magneto block and the engine block. You can use a simple SPST (single pole/single throw) toggle from Radio Shack. When the switch is in the open position, the engine runs. When it's closed, it grounds the primary side of the coil, killing the engine. This switch is highly recommended when running a gasser, since they can fire any time the prop is turned. If you will fly in IMAA-sanctioned events, a kill switch is mandatory.

Sr.1