Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Magneto Ignition Problem on Quadra50

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Magneto Ignition Problem on Quadra50

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 04:06 PM
splais
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Magneto Ignition Problem on Quadra50

This weekend I installed a 52cc upgrade kit on my Quadra 50. Went to the field to test and fly her today and no spark. Nothing, nada - couldn't get a burb out of her and holding plug against cylinder, no spark.

Now this, on it's face isn't tough. A sparkplug, a coil, and a kill switch. To shorten the story I tried everything new plug, bypassing the kill switch. So it's obviously the coil. Not sure how you can kill a coil just by removing it and putting it back on; but I can't think of anything else.

Anyway here is the question. A couple of guys at the field said it looked like the gap between the magnets and the coil pickup was awefully big and the gap between the two pickups was not the same. On my engine this is not adjustable and the new 52cc cylinder is physically identical to the old cylinder on the outside, supposedly. The only thing I can see is it looks like the old cylinder didn't have a gasket!

So anybody got any ideas before I have to spring for a new coil? Can you have a 1/8" gap between magnet and coil pickup? If you can't (some say it should be business card thickness), what I can I do about it. thanks.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:21 PM
Safebet
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Magneto Ignition Problem on Quadra50

About .010 on the gap. A business card is about .0125 to .015. You can test some coils by using your multi-meter set to "ohmns". You should get a high reading. Can't say for sure how high but up in the thousands. Each coil is different. If you get a real low reading, it is bad. Just touch 1 lead to the metal part of the coil and the other to ground.
Old 09-30-2007, 10:39 PM
buck1856
My Feedback: (49)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

take asmall metel machinist rule or equivelent and check depth of both cylinders.If there not the same remove the gasket from new jug.or you can use a .10-.20 size piece of solder and see if the piston squishes it at TDC.Or take a dremel or equivelent and elongate the holes in the coil for better adjustment.1/8th is too much gap for me,i use a biz card.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:01 AM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it will never fire with the air gap set at .125" A business card is the easiest thing to use. The adjustment is in the coil pickups themselves. The screw holes should be elongated to allow for the pickup to be adjusted.
I have a 52 at home and this is the case.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:53 PM
splais
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the tips. The engine is farely old and the holes in the coil pickup are very small and don't allow adjust much more than 'jiggling' it around. Question - will the cylinder seal if I don't use the gasket? I'm assuming I still have to at least spread a thin layer of gasket seal on the block surface.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:03 PM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if everything is flat, and the cylinder sleeve extends down into the crankcase a bit, it should be ok. There are quite a few engines that do not run the cylinder base gasket. It raises compression without it. If the sleeve is flat with the bottom of the jug, then it will leak.