Community
Search
Notices
Walkera Helis - Dragonfly, etc.. Discuss Walkera Dragonfly Helis and any Walkera products in this forum

dragonfly 4

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 06:59 PM
wixom air force

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dragonfly 4

Hi,

I just bought a dragon fly 4 and need some advice. I know the stock battery sucks and was wondering what type of lipo would fit this heli. Plus is there anything else I need to make this fly better ?

Thanks

Td

Old 09-28-2007, 08:32 PM
Orion1024

Default RE: dragonfly 4

The 7.4V 1200mAh 10C pack from http://www.truerc.com is a good pack for the #4 and is only $18. I've used TrueRC packs for the last couple of years and they've worked well with no problems. Most of their packs don't come with plugs, so you might want to have them put the JST plug on for you. You'll also need a LiPo charger and a balancer is also a very good idea. Unfortunately there's not much you can do to improve the flight characteristics of the #4. Running the FP wood blades with a higher headspeed can make a big difference in stability, but I don't recommend it because the blades are $15 a set and can shatter fairly easily. There's also the potential for other problems with this setup like vibration issues that only surface at the higher headspeed and blade tracking issues. Best bet is just to use it stock as a trainer and put the SuperSkids on it.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:04 PM
Feric Jagger

TD
You should check out the [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_2833333/tm.htm]Fixed Pitch Forum[/link] for advice.

I have only had my DF4 for a couple of months, but I agree 100% with Orion. Mine is stock except for lipos and [link=http://www.super-skids.com/main.htm]Superskids[/link]. As I understand it the superskids, apart from providing studier landing gear, lower the centre of gravity which has a positive effects on stability.

In my experience the most important thing you need is several months practice. I've been going at this stupid hobby for about three months and currently I am at the stage where my crashes are just as frequent, but a lot more elegant. I still can't properly hover my DF4 (although I must admit I don't practice every day).

Some people recommend FMS which is a freeware RC flight simulator. See [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3690435/anchors_6337723/mpage_2/key_/anchor/tm.htm#]here[/link] for a discussion on installation. I don't find it very useful myself except as a simulator for more spectacular and expensive crashes, but some people swear by it.

If you spend any time reading the Fixed Pitch Forum you will see discussions of various upgrades including brushless motor upgrades, dual tail motor upgrades, belt driven tail rotor upgrades, servo upgrades, receiver upgrades and others that I can't remember. But I think Orion is right. The point of this copter is that it is cheap and simple and reasonably sturdy. I bought the DF4 as a copter to practice on (and possibly destroy). If I am still in this hobby in 12 months time I would expect to have moved on to a better copter.

Stephen
Old 10-04-2007, 06:09 PM
wixom air force

Thanks for the help. I have one more question. I was practicing with my heli the other day and it crashed (first of many). I was looking over it for damage and something on the tail rotor seems to be missing. Is there a small part that holds the rotor on ?

Thanks again
Old 10-04-2007, 09:33 PM
jtspin

Yep, there used to be a rubber grommet. You can use a piece of small diameter fuel tubing or I've used the insulation stripped off of my stereo's speaker wire.

-JT
Old 10-05-2007, 12:49 AM
Feric Jagger

ORIGINAL: wixom air force

Thanks for the help. I have one more question. I was practicing with my heli the other day and it crashed (first of many). I was looking over it for damage and something on the tail rotor seems to be missing. Is there a small part that holds the rotor on ?

Thanks again
TD
See [link=http://www.walkera.com/en1/fileDown.jsp?file=%2Fcn%2Fupload%2Fpicture%2FZ24-10104_ex.jpg&la=en]here[/link] for an exploded diagram of the DF4-1.

Stephen
Old 10-11-2007, 10:59 PM
bigshane

hello i have a dragonfly 4 and i want to put a 4200kv Brushless Motor + 30A ESC for RC Helicopter and well the 3-Cell 15C 11.1v 1500mAh Li-Po Rechargeable Battery go well with it ThinkYou
Old 10-12-2007, 07:14 AM
USHobbySupply

Yup, superskids and superpack go real nice on the #4 FP birds. Its the last skids you will ever buy. Period.