Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

is there a DOCTOR in the house?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

is there a DOCTOR in the house?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2003, 05:52 PM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is there a DOCTOR in the house?

CA glue is harsh stuff!

I have been using CA for about 2 years, when I developped skin problems. I did not know at the time what was causing exzema type lesions on my body. I went to doctors and was told that stress is the cause of my problems. I told them (that) I wasn't stressed at all, but I guess in today's world it's hard to believe...

Even when treating the skinn with various ointments, it did not go away. I was starting to go CRAZY!!!!! I stopped eating all types of nuts (to eliminate any possible cause of alergic reaction) I even switched to a different bedroom just to make sure...

I never thought about the glue, since I have been using the same stuff for a while. THEN I read a post on RCU about someone becomming alergic to CA after 5 years of using it!!!!!! So I hid the CA, and all my problems started to go away....

I am back to wood glue and Acetone...

IS there a less iritant CA on the market or is it all the same?
The KICKERs smell real nasty too...

If there's a doctor in the house who can comment on this topic, I am sure it would help many modelers.
Old 03-25-2003, 06:18 PM
SloFlight-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

Default Non-Alergenic CA

I fortunately, do not have any allergies to CA, however, I did see a banner ad here on RCU with the headline "CA-Allergies?"....here's the website

http://home1.gte.net/res0bf5n/

Good luck
Old 03-25-2003, 06:55 PM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Allergies

Although it is not really my field of expertise vasek, and I have always tried to not mix my business with my hobby, I can tell you it is something I have followed for a while. Allergies to these types of glues are often overlooked by physicians, as the stories we can read on here will tell. The fumes from the CA glue has reportedly caused problems for those with asthmatic and bronchial conditions, as well as skin ailments.
I would suggest that you try some of the UFO brand of CA which supposedly has no fumes. I believe they still oofer that brand but I have not seen it on the shelves for a while. The other possibility is the accelerators, which contain some esthers, that sweet smell, which could also be casuing you problems. I would suggest that you try using only one product at a time, and wear a mask. If you have no problems, you could add another one to your regiment and see if things change. Be aware that some of these allergies can continue to build up on people, and I have read reports of them having anaphylactic reactions to these glues and chemicals.
I sympathize with you. My problem is the dust, from sanding, I now just about have to wear a mask every time in order to prevent nasal stuffiness and sinusitis.
If you can find some info such as this listed above, take it to your doctor and educate him, hopefully he might be able to offer you some form of an anti-histamine which would help you.
Good luck,
Tommy
Old 03-25-2003, 07:16 PM
Intruder38

This subject has been discussed many times. From personal experience, I can tell you that regular CA can and often does cause allergic reaction, ranging from nasal congestion to, in my case, asthmatic bronchitis. The literature says it can also cause heart arythmia, something, thankfully, I have not experienced. I switched to Odorless CA where CA is the only answer to my building needs. I avoid using any kicker because I could not separate the effects of CA form kicker and I suspect that the Kicker may also be a problem. I use aliphatics everywhere I can. The net result is that I have not had a problem since. You should also be aware that balsa dust can also cause respiratory problems and if what you sand has been CA'd, well it's another helping of CA.

The drawbacks of Odorless CA are slower set-up time, shorter shelf life and about twice the price. There are a number of brands out there. I've tried a few and, so far, the best I've come across id B&B Specialties Super Gold. Keep it in the freezer between uses and you'll extend the shelf life to a year or more. Good luck.
Old 03-27-2003, 01:01 AM
vasek

Default good info

thanks everyone for the info, i will give a try to the more expensive CA and use it only where white glue won't do...

also,i will upgrade my ventilation and NEVER build in the house anymore - i will have to insulate the garage and setup a year round shop there...

as for the other toxic stuff we modelers use i say: everyone has to die of something - if your wife won't kill you first, the hobby will eventually!

THNX to all

P.S. if my wife finds a way to this post (by a remote chance): honey it's only a joke, you are very sweeeeeeeeeet - if only we could get rid of some of those PMS symptoms....
Old 03-27-2003, 03:20 PM
jproctor

Default Try better ventalation

You could also try better ventalation. I have my building bench in my basement right below a basement window. I have a Ventalation hood with a blower over my bench. I am using an old bathroom vent for the blower. This setup keeps the fumes away from me.

I use the vent when ever I use CA, 3m Supper 77 spray, sanding, soldering etc...

-Jon
Old 03-31-2003, 03:06 AM
WalkerBoh-RCU
My Feedback: (3)

I was doing some painting on my cowl and wheel pants today with auto paints. I purchased a 3m respirator at Home Depot for about $28. It's great! I just wish I would have had it for sanding! I've tried the little white mask type units, but they got too hot and weren't comfortable at all. I would HIGHLY recommend that you use one whenever there is a question of inhaled contaminants, particulate or vapor. I would venture a guess if the reaction you had was due to the inhalation of CA fumes (which I believe contain cyanide) the respirator would help. If it's due to a skin reaction, then the low odor CA's and aliphatic glues would be the only way. Also, please note that epoxy is toxic and is one of those things that builds up over time. Gloves are a necessity.

-Aaron

P.S. -- I'm not a doctor, I only play one here <G>
Old 03-31-2003, 05:55 AM
GrnBrt
My Feedback: (5)

Well that's my web site that was posted and yes I do handle a very user friendly Ca out of Australia, but let me say this!! Even with this Ca I have good ventilation and a small fan that blows across the work area while I am gluing. I am very lucky that I have a big shop and lots of air space so I don't have fumes that can get concentrated in one area but why risk it???
Old 04-02-2003, 12:54 AM
vasek

Default 3M respirator

Walker, if you have the model no. of the respirator from Home Depot, i am planning on going to buy it this week...:greedy:

THNX
Vasek
Old 04-02-2003, 02:16 AM
WalkerBoh-RCU
My Feedback: (3)

the respirator I bought is a 3M R-6311 Dual Cartridge Respirator. It's comfortable and filters organics and particulates by 95%.

-Aaron
Old 04-02-2003, 04:17 AM
smokingcrater

also, you don't need to use kicker, just fill the bottle up with regular tap water or rubbing alcohol, either work great as a kicker. (water especially, alcohol just evaporates quicker)
Old 04-03-2003, 08:09 PM
Eaglewatch

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Intruder38,

This is in response to your suggestion regarding CA to "Keep it in the freezer between uses and you'll extend the shelf life to a year or more."

This is great advice for UNOPENED CA containers, but once you have opened it, I do not recommend returning it to the refrigerator. The moisture content (and trace amounts of alkalinity contained in the moisture) in the refrigerator can cause premature setup of the glue, and actually decrease shelf life.
Besides, if it gets spilled inside the refrigerator . . . .

Regards,

Al
Old 04-03-2003, 09:43 PM
BillHarris

The fumes from the CA glue has reportedly caused problems for those with asthmatic and bronchial conditions, as well as skin ailments.
So true! 5-6 years back when I got back into model aeroplanes, I constantly exposed and re-exposed myself to CA fumes without knowing why I was getting sicker and sicker.

The CA gave me a case of asthma, which was not all bad: it allowed me to kick a 27-year cigarette habit (along with the "welbutrin" stop-smoking pill).

I think that it is not so much the "fumes" (vapor) of CA as it is an aerosol of raw CA that gets kicked up when the wood heats up and "fizzes" the CA when it is applied. Put thin CA on wood and look at it with a bright light against a dark background some time.

I'm much more careful now, but still get a sniffle if I get over-exposed. Ventilation is the key, IMO.
CA is a good adhesive, but care needs to be used. I'm suprised that the Product Liability bottom-feeders haven't stepped up to the CA allergy feeding trough...
Old 04-04-2003, 12:46 AM
Dream_Flyer
My Feedback: (7)

Default Idea :o)

Just something that I found would help me considerably. I purchased a cheapo Box fan and put a central air filter on the intake side of the fan by using tape. This way I can set it pretty close to my work area when I am sanding or using CA and the fan will suck the dust and fumes into the filter away from my breathing air
Old 04-04-2003, 08:50 PM
vasek

Default THNX for helping

Thaks to all for the info.

Flyer, the fan with the filter idea is very good... will do!

:bananahea i feel nostalgic for the old acetone-based stuff
Old 04-07-2003, 04:04 AM
CafeenMan

Respirators, exhaust fans, dedicated shops just to escape the fumes, health problems, etc. So much for CA being "convenient."

I just don't use the stuff. Well I do, but a 1/2 ounce bottle is all I ever buy and it goes bad before I use half of it. I only use it for hardening holes drilled in wood for wood screws or for hardening balsa around control horns.

I don't build with it at all. What's the point? I can build as fast or faster than anyone I know using good old carpenter's glue. The structure is prettier because there isn't CA spilled all over it, it sands better, it costs way less and the health risks aren't even an issue. Think about it.
Old 05-17-2003, 11:32 AM
TomM

I've been building a wing for the past 2 days and today have a rash and welts on my neck and forarms. Don't understand why there, unless it's just the areas of sensitive skin. I could understand the bottoms of the arms- where I rest on the building board, but the upper side?
I kind of hope it's the CA or Gorilla glue, that way I don't have to search for other lifestyle problems....
No respitory problems, just skin. Anyone else get these symptoms? Never had this problem before in years of building.

Tom
Old 05-18-2003, 03:37 AM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a similar problem with eczema-like patches on my eyelids. Very itchy and the skin would peel. I thought it might be a CA allergy. Steroid creams helped some, but it wouldn't go away.

My doctor said it could be stress and/or lack of sleep. He also suggested a PH balanced soap and removing possible irritants from my environment. I switched to a PH balanced body wash, put a charcoal filter on the shower head to remove chlorine and my wife started using a mild laundry detergent. I also started getting at least 8 hours sleep. My skin started getting better immediately.

For me, the CA may just have been the straw that broke the camels back or had nothing to do with it. It was a lot easier to make the other changes first rather than try to live without CA.