Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

3 blade vs 2, Pors and Cons

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

3 blade vs 2, Pors and Cons

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 08:13 PM
FenderBean

Received 81 Likes on 54 Posts
Default 3 blade vs 2, Pors and Cons

Im wanting go 3 blade but how much power loss is there compared to 2 blade. Im no pro and prob wouldnt notice it anyway. Im talking about a DA 100cc by the way on my Yak.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:53 AM
flying skunks
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 3 blade vs 2, Pors and Cons

FenderBean, I have experiance with a DA with KS 86 rear exhaust cans in a 35% Extra 260,I don't feel that there was enough loss to worry about,I leave the three blade prop on it all the time.I also have a SD 35% Yak with a ZDZ 120 with cans,I use the two blade for doing 3D and use the 3blade for doing IMAC,there is a big difference in the out of the hole pull out power.If you can I would suggest going to the Hotlanta event in two weeks at the GMA field.
Donnie
Old 10-16-2007, 10:43 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The only reason to go 3 blade is because of lack of ground clearance and needing to absorb excess power, unless you like the pose factor of course.

Mike
Old 10-16-2007, 12:27 PM
Jake Ruddy
My Feedback: (40)

What about quieter and better downline breaking?
Old 10-16-2007, 12:53 PM
rmh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

better downline braking?
how does it do that?
Old 10-16-2007, 01:31 PM
FenderBean

i understand that they are less noise but how much less? Im running cannisters so that gets rid of a lot. Im not worried about clearance with my yak there is plenty. So I guess my only concern is the performance, I want to hover the plane and do all the normal stunts. I will say im no pro and dont plan any contest in the near future, but if theres that much diffs between 3 and 2 I guess the, looking cool factor can take a back seat, but if the diff is marginal I would really like to go 3

Can anyone understand my problem or am I just being a retard
Old 10-16-2007, 01:58 PM
Jake Ruddy

ORIGINAL: dick Hanson

better downline braking?
how does it do that?

Well that is the question... I know several pattern guys who claim that and have custom pitches done on thier 3-bladed props for this reason. One has been flying 20 yrs and has ranked well at The Nats.

If you go to a larger 2 blade I have seen better breaking so why not with 1 more blade?
Old 10-16-2007, 03:38 PM
onewasp

The third blade tends to rub on the sky hook and that creates a braking (or is it breaking) effect!

Seems to me the bigger disc will have the advantage every time.

Lots of years ago Hanno and a few others tried variable pitch------not worth much frankly----but then when Hanno did it it HAD to be good (and very often it was!).
Old 10-16-2007, 03:50 PM
rmh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: sinergy

better downline braking?
how does it do that?

Well that is the question... I know several pattern guys who claim that and have custom pitches done on thier 3-bladed props for this reason. One has been flying 20 yrs and has ranked well at The Nats.

If you go to a larger 2 blade I have seen better breaking so why not with 1 more blade?
One more blade with same dia - yeh---- maybe-- prop braking concern is grossly over rated
use low idle and a light plane and learn power management -
If you go to a higher pitch the braking effect is reduced
But frankly I always ignored all that crap - and simply studied the approach to the maneuver
It is really all in power management .
Old 10-16-2007, 04:55 PM
flying skunks

if you are into doing 3D ,I would go with a 2 blade prop with fuse mufflers,on the DA I prefer the KS 86 Rear exhaust.
Donnie
Old 10-16-2007, 05:44 PM
FenderBean

Well what 3D stuff can I not do with a 3 blade?
Old 10-16-2007, 07:17 PM
flying skunks

I prefer the punch out of the hole better with the 2 blade over the 3.You can still do all the 3D you like with a 3 blade prop.
Donnie
Old 10-16-2007, 07:30 PM
Jake Ruddy

ORIGINAL: sinergy

better downline braking?
how does it do that?

One more blade with same dia - yeh---- maybe-- prop braking concern is grossly over rated
use low idle and a light plane and learn power management -
If you go to a higher pitch the braking effect is reduced
But frankly I always ignored all that crap - and simply studied the approach to the maneuver
It is really all in power management .

I guess to eaches own.. personally I haven't used a 3 bladed prop. However when I watch the unlimited IMAC guys fly they mostly use a 3 blade prop and then switch to 2-blade for the freestyle. I am sure some of that is noise.. although the have cans and use the power properly so I dont think they would be ripping props anyhow.

I am sure power management has something to do with it.. but my 1 buddy who swears by 3 blade props for pattern placed 5th at the Nats 2 years ago in I believe Advanced.. I think he has learned power management by now.

Like I said I haven't tried it myself as of yet. Probably for next yrs IMAC season I will just to see
Old 10-17-2007, 02:40 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Surely all of this is to do with inertia and spool up time, a 3 blade will spool up slower but will have greater inertia for IMAC type flying and be quiter, legal limits in IMAC. and a 2 blade will spool up faster and be better for 3D or have I missed something.

Mike