Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

"IMPORTANT SAITO ENGINE TECH NOTE!" (oops!)

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

"IMPORTANT SAITO ENGINE TECH NOTE!" (oops!)

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2003, 04:38 AM
Holeshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "IMPORTANT SAITO ENGINE TECH NOTE!" (oops!)

" IMPORTANT SAITO ENGINE TECH NOTE!!! The crankcase vent must be kept open to the atmosphere. This is NOT a pressure tap. It should not be connected to the fuel tank. It's purpose is to allow excess crankcase oil to drip out and it must never be sealed. It is convenient to connect about 4 inches of fuel tubing to this vent so that excess oil drips can exit outside the model; the fuel tubing is also useful because it is easy to squirt after-run oil into the crank-case through this tube."

From Saito site (clik)

I found that JUST in time!

"USING A SPINNER: Plastic spinners are unsuitable for engines like the Saito-91 and larger."

Huh???

"Overall, getting a spinner to fit with the right adapter and right length bolt can be a real pain. Chances are that the TT-0823-A adapter will work for you; if you have a very thick prop you may have to try the TT-0822-A version. The adapter TT-0825A will also work but does not have a jam nut.

The bolt (5mm thread) that comes with Tru-Turn spinners maybe the wrong length for your particular setup and getting a suitable size replacement can be a challenge."

Oh, GREAT!!!

Prop, spinner & nut info

Ooohhhh...be SURE to see the Saito fuel system page!!

Might want to use 1/8" fuel line, Perry VP-20 pump, Cline regulator.

Saito quote: "Many people report greatly improved performance after switching from the Saito plug to the OS F-type plug"

Tons of good info at this site!............Dave

Old 03-28-2003, 08:11 PM
DP01
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lots of good information but it's not the "Official" Saito site.

Dennis
Old 03-28-2003, 10:28 PM
Mystic6
My Feedback: (1)

The TT-0717A is the double jam nut adapter for the Saito 91. Unfortunately, it requires boring out the prop. I was able to find a 1/2" drill bit with a smaller diameter tip at my LHS and it turned out to be pretty easy to do. After getting the drill press set up for the right depth, etc. I drilled all the props I had for this engine. Then I had to ream and balance them all. But it gave me something to do on a rainy day.
Old 03-30-2003, 03:48 PM
Sense963
My Feedback: (10)

Why not just use Carl Goldberg spinners? They've been the best for years, and I am very happy to see Tower now carrying them. I just bought 3, including a 3" monster for my OS91.