Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Easy Surface Prep

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Easy Surface Prep

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2003, 03:37 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Easy Surface Prep

I've never been fanatical about preparing a surface for covering. usually, I just sand and wipe down with a tack cloth. But in preparing my new 27% Extra 300, I decided to try something new, and it worked so well, I thought I'd pass it on.

After it was sanded, I thinned down some Carpenters glue with water (About 1 part glue to 2-3 parts water) and brushed it over the entire surface. As it dried, it raised the grain, then locked everything in place. Then, I did a final sanding with 360 grit sandpaper, and the results were amazing. Smooth as glass!

Also easy and cheap! (I like cheap )
Old 03-28-2003, 03:52 PM
foxx
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thankx for the tip mike. Did you have any problem with wood warping ?. also I read somewhere that you can add some baby powder ( talcum powder) to this solution, I have not try it yet but it is something I like to try.
Old 03-28-2003, 03:54 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Mike:

"Sanding Sealer" is an old trick. But yours is the cheapest I've ever heard of. The only thing cheaper would be none at all.

And I'm just as cheap as you. Whoops - I mean I like cheap just as much as you. Haw.

Bill.
Old 03-28-2003, 07:47 PM
MinnFlyer

I did not add talc, but I also didn't wipe the surface with a tack cloth or vacuum it, so it was still covered with balsa dust.
Old 03-28-2003, 08:15 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you have any problems with the covering bubbling when you applied it?

What type did you use?

Sounds like a good idea.
Old 03-28-2003, 09:50 PM
MinnFlyer

Haven't covered it yet. Hopefully this weekend. I'm using both Ultracote and MonkeyKote, so we'll see what happens.

Although I'll mention that this is something I have done in the past on small areas (like those spots where you get a piece of wood with a funny grain and no matter how much you sand it, the wood is always fuzzy) and I've never had a problem. But this is the first time I've done an entire airframe with it.

So far, so good. I'll keep ya posted!