Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Techniques / tools for drilling straight

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Techniques / tools for drilling straight

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2002, 04:18 AM
Simpilot
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Techniques / tools for drilling straight

Hello,

I'm wondering if any of you know of a tool or have a special technique for drilling a straight hole near the bevel point of an aileron. Please see the diagram attached and tell me how I can do this so I don't screw things up

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
4304_4983.bmp (33.3 KB, 10 views)
Old 03-01-2002, 03:11 PM
LuvBipes
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I assume you're using Robart "Hinge Point" type hinges.
File or cut away a 1/4" wide clearance notch in the beveled surface so that you have a flat surface to start your hole on. To keep the hinge gap as tight as possible, you will need to recess the hinge anyway, so why not make it work in your favor?

If possible, it's a good idea to cut/drill the hinge slots/holes BEFORE the control surface are bevelled.
Old 03-01-2002, 04:08 PM
Simpilot

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, but I wasn't talking about drilling for hinges (you probably thought that because of my poor description of what I'm trying to do). I'm trying to drill a hole for the control horn (it's a Rocket City control horn). The problem is that the place I have to drill is at an angle, along with the surface (so I can't lay it "flat") - (please see picture that was attached to original post).
Old 03-01-2002, 05:00 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you have a drill press or bandsaw. If so it makes the following pretty easy. First take a small block of hardwood and drill a hole the size you want vertically through it. Now, mark off the angle on one side parallel with the hole and shave off the lower edge of the block to make the surface that the hole exits through have the same angle as the aileron surface. Now, just locate the block so the bottom of the hole is over the point you want to drill at. Drill through the block using the block as a drill guide.
Old 03-01-2002, 06:17 PM
rwh

Default Maybe not for this but....

After several years of fooling around when drilling holes, I got a new rechargable hand held Dremel tool. It has a big flat area on the battery which is at the top when using the tool.

I stuck a bubble level (a round one that covers all directions) on to that flat area. Now I just lay the piece on a flat surface, fire up the drill, and eyeball the bubble just before drilling to make sure that the drill is square to the part.

Surprisingly accurate! Now I can drill motor mounts with great precision without the bother of a drill press. No need to get the exact drill for the job, just use the Dremel with a small drill for a starter hole, the right drill will follow that hole later on.
Old 03-02-2002, 12:03 PM
Ed Smith

The Bubbled Dremel is a great idea. However it is only valid if what is being drilled is level as well.

Ed S
Old 03-02-2002, 09:33 PM
thompsrc

If this is really an isosceles triangle, you can measure the angle at the trailing edge. The angle needed to drill will be 90 degrees minus 1/2 of this angle.

For example, if the angle at the trailing edge is 15 degrees then place the part flat on a flat surface. Place the drill at 90 degrees to this surface and rotate from the point of contact 7.5 degrees toward the trailing edge. Of course you have to have 90 degrees to all the other directions. The circular bubble would help with this.

Or simply raise the trailing edge 7.5 degrees with a support and drill at 90 degrees. You can check this by looking at the center line. It should be parallel to the work surface.

Hope this helps.

RT
Old 03-02-2002, 11:30 PM
Mike James

Default Holes

I saw your graphic, and understood the problem.

If it's a built-up wing, a jig of your own making is probably the way to go. (That's how Boeing does it!)

If it's a foam wing, I would suggest either:

1. Drill the holes in the "square" leading edge before you bevel it.

or

2. Attach the leading edge, then put the core back into the foam shucks, and drill it in the shuck. (Assuming they are straight, of course.)

As an extreme alternative, you could even use your incidence meter to jig up the aileron, clamp it in place, then use a drill press. Pattern guys always have good tips for this kind of thing. Mainly, just go slow. Sometimes, the answer is to simply walk away from the problem, relax, and think for a while.
Old 03-04-2002, 05:14 PM
Simpilot

Everyone,

Thanks for all of the great replies! They were extremely helpful. I resolved the problem in the following manner:

I purchased a dremel drill press (awesome little accessory for anyone who owns a dremel!). I put a 1/4" piece of wood-stock underneath the trailing edge of the aileron. By holding the aileron flat on the drill-press surface and moving the wood stock backwards and forwards, I was able to get the 90 degree drilling angle required. After I found the ideal place for the wood-stock to go, I taped it into place. The holes are straight and at exact 90 degree angles. Again - to everyone - thanks for all of your help!!
Old 04-01-2002, 05:45 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Simpilot:
One more to add to the list.
Harry Higley (Higleys Products) makes a set of 3 small drill guides that have various sized holes for different drills. All three are hexogonal shaped, giving you flat sides to set against the surface to be drilled.

I've been using a set of these for many years. They don't wear out, and their great for small jobs. Check them out at a hobby shop sometime.
Silversurfer
Old 04-16-2002, 01:54 PM
TOYMAKER
My Feedback: (6)

Default DRILL IT STRAIGHT

I drill my control horn holes before I bevel the edges. Just set the square leading edge of your aileron or elevator or rudder up against a square block and use drill press. I also hinge mine before beveling also. Straight and true.
Old 04-16-2002, 11:31 PM
JNorton

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Toymaker,
Now why didn't I think of that! Just too easy!
Thanks,
John