Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Covering Question.

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Covering Question.

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 11:17 PM
crashproof

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Covering Question.

Hey guys I have a question it maybe stupid but here goes. I wish to paint my uncovered plane and was thinking of glassing it but I have never done this before. Is it possible to just paint on clear polyurethane, a couple thin coats then spray prime then sand smooth spray prime again sand smooth mask it off and paint without using the fiberglass ? Thanks for any ideas.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:32 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Covering Question.

In THEORY, yes it is possible. In the real world, if you want the paint job to last, you need to paint on a stable surface.

Wood is not stable. Due to changes in the humidity and temperature the wood is going to expand and contract. After a period of time (typically about 12 - 18 months ) the paint begins to crack.

For a stable surface you either need to glass the plane or cover it with a stable surface such as silkspan or, depending on the plane, a fabric and apply the paint to that.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:59 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 293 Likes on 250 Posts

I have a friend that is an old time pilot from the UK and he covers his airplanes with brown paper using thinned yellow or whie glue. He paints all his airplanes and averages 1 or 2 designs written up in British R/C magzines. He has never had a problem with the paint job not lasting using this process.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:54 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, I'll have to disagree. I have a very old plane (Over 13 yrs) that I painted with thinned epoxy, sanded and then sprayed with white 21st Century paint from Black Baron.

The plane is beat to all heck, and a fair amount of wood grain shows through, but the paint never showed signs of cracking
Old 11-07-2007, 04:00 PM
Jim_Purcha
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a glider fuselage, Midwest 2x2 given by a friend. He and his brother painted the fuselage, but applied sanding sealer to it first to fill up the grain. The paint finish was very smooth and no cracks.

Jim