Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

VTOL Twin

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2003, 02:58 AM
Lesterino

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VTOL Twin

Hey Folks,

I'm in the midst of designing a Twin VTOL. For simplicity, I'm making it a tail sitter (though it'll be able to take-off and land normally too). In a sense its looking sorta like a 3-d plane with a beefed up, 3 rudder tail. I'm putting super-tigre .61 counter-rotating engines in it to minimize torque issues (A big control hassle both for 3-d and heli's)-- But I'm also lined up to go to .90 if I need to.

I'm also putting in all kinds of other clever things (maybe too many) such as an airbrake-rudder (a Brudder??, a Rudrake??). Picture twin rudders that have a mixed control channel that pulls both rudders inward--with the effect of increassing drag w/o any yaw. The idea here is to agument engine thrust authority and responsiveness during hoover. Does that make sense?

I'd be interested in comments, suggestions and even some pointed ridicule (as long as its funny).

3 view sketches comming shortly

LA
Old 03-31-2003, 10:03 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default VTOL Twin

Les:

There are two other threads about using pivoting engines for VTOL.

On a quick look I've not found either, if you do a search on "V-22" or "Osprey" I think you'll find them.

Bill.
Old 03-31-2003, 10:09 PM
William Robison

Default VTOL Twin

Les:

Here's the most recent one, somewhere in there it has a link tio the older one.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...ght=V22+Osprey

Enjoy and learn.

Bill..
Old 04-02-2003, 02:10 AM
Lesterino

Default VTOL Twin

Thanks for the link. I think it shows a point both with the model and the real version of the "traditional" VTOL planes--they are increadibly complex and have to deal with not just two flight regimes(vertical and horizontal) but also a third (transition)

My approach is a tail sitter. Not very conventional, but a lot simpler (I hope) than a v-22 type thing or a helicopter. And hopefully a better solution interms of top-end speed and hovering stability.

I'm thinking that the control surfaces will mostly be mixed: eg elevons, (on the elevators) flaperons (on the ailerons) and the "brudders" on the rudders.

Hmm.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	67509_27134.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	40719  
Old 04-02-2003, 03:41 AM
William Robison

Default VTOL Twin

Les:

Both Lockheed and Convair experimented with tailsitters, both were turbine driving counterrotating propellors.

The high power Allison turbine never worked right, so they were both flown with less than design power. The Convair was light enough that it did achieve VTO, but the XFV-1, the Lockheed plane, had a strange fixed LG set up to allow test flights.

I Think the Convair was the XF2Y-1, but not certain.

Bill.

PS: Never got your picture up. wr.
Old 05-12-2003, 08:53 PM
v22
My Feedback: (8)

Default VTOL Twin

Les here is a link to my webpage on R/C VTOL's
with lots of different ideas from guys that I have meet around the world and some pages and videos on my V-22 Osprey with twin engines.

I have just completed transition to 60 degrees and hope to go full tilt here soon and also get some video footage if I can coordinate with my camera person.

I also have a picture of Don Incolls tail setter ,Salamon ,that has been kitted by a hobby shop in Austrailia

www.geocities.com/v22chap/vtol.html

Good luck on your VTOL and keep me posted

Larry
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	78015_4652.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	11.2 KB
ID:	40720