Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

Details! Cant stop!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 08:49 PM
chaman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Details! Cant stop!

I have become obsessed to make my rig as realistic as possible. I guess since I have a strong plastic modeling background my recent scaler venture has awaken this obsession.

I wanted wipers and decided to make my own. They were build from scratch. First i drew them on a piece of plastic. I proceeded to cut and then shape them with a piece of sandpaper. Some hours later, and black satin paint, blades were added. These were made out of rubber taken from a small piece of tubing with an Xacto knife. The rear view mirrors were taken from a toy.
I added a small hex from those scale skateboards. These are really cool, are made from real metal and are real small.

I liked how they came out. i kept on going and went to try to recreate the door key locks. Did some research to learn the location since the Proline body didnt had them on. I used a little slice of soldering wire. Here are the results:

Next on agenda were the wheels air valves! LOL! Again a small piece of soldering wire. I also detailed the shocks. These were taken from the Summit catalog, cut to size and glued. Some hobby glaze was later added to seal them into the shock.

Over the back I made the tire holder, custom license plate and muffler. Again I used the little hexes from the scale skateboards.

An overall view:

Yes I know...too clean!! I will take it to the trail soon. I just arrive from work too late!:x Thats why the pics also look kind of dark....:-(

Will post some more later! Hope you like it.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:43 PM
psychorevo

Default RE: Details! Cant stop!

You're the man.

Don't stop. Your work is art to me. I watch and gaze at your trucks in awe.

Keep it up man. Your trucks keep me in dreamland while I'm at work.

You truly have a great skill and a talent; I LOVE YOUR DETAILS!!!!!!!!
Old 11-08-2007, 06:53 PM
Anomie

That is truly awesome! The detail you're adding really sets that truck on it's own level [sm=thumbs_up.gif]

Have you considered cutting out the headlamp locations and bucketing them? You could probably use the cutouts as lenses and then add LEDs behind. Might be cool!
Old 11-08-2007, 07:30 PM
chaman

Thats in the plans also...full working headlights, taillights...maybe even interior and dash lights!!

Thanks for the props guys!
Old 11-10-2007, 05:08 AM
Zeffle

Seriously cool man [sm=thumbs_up.gif].
Wish i could do stuff like that.
I had an idea about head lights: If you go one of those LED headlamps and extended the wire to each LED so instead of shining in one spot you could place them around the body for headlights/tail lights. You would then have bright lights with the wiring done for you + on most headlamps you can adjust the brightness or even make the lights flash, so, the same would apply for the lights on your truck.
Just an idea...

BTW: Where did you get that Kayak, me being a kayaker i am interested in putting one on one of my future trucks.
Old 11-10-2007, 09:41 AM
calvin33

Looks really good. Next thing should be getting rid of that bulky antenna. Here is one I found that may work for ya.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKX49&P=7
Old 11-10-2007, 11:18 AM
chaman

Thanks guys! The kayak I got from ebay. I checked but there are none at this time. They show up from time to time. Ive seen them in red and yellow.

Yes calvin the antenna gives me sore eyes. That antenna you mention is not in stock and i haven been able to find it anywhere!
Old 11-10-2007, 11:21 AM
chaman

ORIGINAL: Reiko

That is truly awesome! The detail you're adding really sets that truck on it's own level [sm=thumbs_up.gif]

Have you considered cutting out the headlamp locations and bucketing them? You could probably use the cutouts as lenses and then add LEDs behind. Might be cool!

Im considering that and maybe i will get round headlights. I liked the previous Blazer front better anyway. Time to hit Radio Shack!