Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

3W-106CS on Pipes

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 05:48 PM
TheRickster
My Feedback: (12)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 3W-106CS on Pipes

Curious if a pipe setup on the 106 will still allow the engine to have a clean running midrange for 3D type flying. I have experience with glow engines on pipes and the results have always been a great idle and WOT but crap for midrange. IF on the Larger Gas eninges the pipe length has to be left "long" to get a clean run through the entire RPM range are the RPM gains then sacrificed as well?The weight difference between full tuned pipes is not that much more than canisters. All in all the TP or canister will weigh say 30-32 oz. whereas simple cowl muffler are in the game at 12oz. The tuned pipe weight is more centrally located near the CG mark whereas the cowls are out on the nose, CG could be of concern..

Any input would be appreciated, I know Dick Hanson is a proponent of the TP system and it works Very well for him but how do they perform on a dual purpose aircraft that IMAC's as well as 3D's?? plane in question is Aeroworks 35% Extra 260...

Thanks
Rick