Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Glow to Electric Conversions
Reload this Page >

Twin motor Senior Telemaster ARF

Community
Search
Notices
Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

Twin motor Senior Telemaster ARF

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 09:09 PM
MikeFreas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twin motor Senior Telemaster ARF

I have been a STM owner since 05. I was just given my second STM ARF by Algutkin and I plan on doing him proud with this one.

My first STM ARF was extensivly bashed but crashed about 3 weeks ago do to my stupid mistake with the flaps. It will fly again.

With this second I'd like a better camera platform so I decided to build a twin. This will be an extensive and expensive project but I have already begun. Today I pulled the covering off one wing half to look at the structure and get an idea where the new motors will mount. It looks like the third rib "bay" from the root will suit me just fine and provide enough clearance to run up to an 18" prop. With my motor slection I'm looking to run between 11" and 13" so I will have plenty of room.

The idea is to have a pan/tilt camera mount on the stock fire wall. However, due to CG issues it may have to be mounted further forward to all my battries to be slid further forward. I will be adding tail weight by moving the rudder and elevator servos to the tail. I simply can't stand the factory setup and it's not safe to fly at anything more then stock 10lb weight.

During times when I dont' have the camera installed I will fab up a balsa nose cone that will mount to the firewall for a better look. To allow such a large CG range a battery tray from the firewall all the way back to behind the gear mound will be made.

Powerplant for this have yet to be decided. I'd like to save money BUT I don't want motors that turn all my power into heat like the cheep ones do. I'm looking at these from HL. I already have a AXI and love it so I figure I can't go wrong. The other choice looks good also and would save me a few bucks.

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/brushless-axi2826.htm

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/atlas2927.htm

I'm sure I could go smaller but I want the ability to run between 3s and 5 depending on props. I already have two 70A controllers so that's covered.

Power will come from either my current 5S2P 8000 lipo or I'm looking at sending this back to be split into two 3s packs. I haven't decided yet.

Overall I think she will fly just like the stocker but with more power then I currently have and it will sound COOL! With that big wing and two gyros on the pan/tilt system I should be able to get some good pictures. My first goal is to get her flying then I will look into the camera thing.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:05 AM
normgoyer

Default RE: Twin motor Senior Telemaster ARF

Hi, many years ago the motion picture industry was faced with the same problem, a clear view of at least 180 degrees forward for air to air sequences. Their solution was two fold; the forward shots early on were taken from a camera position in the nose of a Curtiss Jr. This plane has a pusher engine on the wing facing aft, very similar to many ultralight installtions. A single motor will save you big bucks and be far simpler to operate. In fact you could make your camera plane a true scale replica of the original Mantz Curtiss which is now owned by Kermit Weeks and in his museum in Florida I believe. The rearward shots were taken from a camera positioned in the tail of a B-25 which gave unlimted backward views of airplanes flying above, below and directly in line. Norm
Old 11-15-2007, 11:10 AM
MikeFreas

Default RE: Twin motor Senior Telemaster ARF

Well I now have to many topics about this to keep track of. I decided to go nuts on this so the first order of business is this modification.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_66...tm.htm#6619614