Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

GWS warbirds- to buy or not to buy

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

GWS warbirds- to buy or not to buy

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 05:19 PM
angry elvis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GWS warbirds- to buy or not to buy

hi,
im looking for my first warbird! ive read quite a few posts RE the GWS planes and people seem to like them fine, more so after going brushless/LiPo...
anyway, they are REALY affordable, and i have my own radio gear and dont mind putting a few more bucks into it. i have 5 -1100mah NimH batts already, i assume they will fit, and ill eventualy be getting lipos no doubt anyway..

so anyone have any opinions on going with GWS? for the price, is it worth it?

oh ya, and have any of you added any custom landing gear? the stock gear looks brutal!
Old 11-18-2007, 09:11 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: GWS warbirds- to buy or not to buy

Two thumbs up for the Corsair and forget the landing gear.
I flew mine stock from the box with 2s1350mah lipo and 7s 730mah NiMh for many years. You will really like it.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:12 AM
Leo L

I bought three used GWS warbirds from a fellow at my field: Corsair; Mustang; Zero. The guy had modified the Corsair and Mustang to have retracts. I've flown both the Mustang and Corsair and they fly nicely, but are a real bear to land well. I bent the gear on the Mustang after two flights and have not replaced it yet. On the Corsair, I tore out the gear on the first landing. I bought new retracts from HobbyLobby and so far have damaged the plane on four landings. I just can't get the plane to land softly enough. The planes (both Mustang and Corsair) are VERY touchy to the elevator control and must be landed with a decent amount of speed, otherwise they tip stall. They turn very nicely with the aileorns, but you must fight them to do rolls. My Rare Bear, from ThunderTiger, had similar characteristics. On the plus side, they are absolutely breathtaking when they are flying, and the retracts are real cool looking.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:20 AM
Learning2Fly

For the price Parkzones Spitfire is hard to beat. The Spitfire seems to be the most forgiving of the war birds. The Mustang and corsair are probably the least forgiving. Depending on your skill level and experience. My first warbird was the Spitfire and I love it. I also fly Parkzones P-51D and great planes Corsair. I love the Mustang though I had to send it back 3 times before I got a Rx that worked properly. This winter it's going on my Spektrum DX6. The Great planes Corsair is ok at best. It lacks power badly. This winter it definetly going brushless. Stock it does not have enough power to even power through a loop much less a roll. The bright side is the motor and gear combo sound fantastic. Best of luck with what ever you decide.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:44 AM
MAKODS

Hello, I fly the GWS ME 109, P-51, Zero, P-38, Spitfire and Corsair. Out of all of them I would say the Corsair is the most stable. I do fly them all brushless with Lipos though. When you are building them always measure if your battery will fit before you glue the fuselage halves together so that you can enlarge the space if needed. When doing the maiden keep the control surface very low ( 30-50%) to make them less twitchy until you get the feel for them. I also do not use the landing gear on any of them and re-enforce the belly with clear tape or fiberglass
Old 11-23-2007, 05:51 AM
angry elvis

thanks guys!

just ordered the corsaire and zero slope versions...now ive got a good over winter project!