Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Fuel Proof Paint

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Fuel Proof Paint

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 01:53 PM
fzeller

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Proof Paint

Hi All,

I just finished a safety table to hold my plane while I start and adjust it. Can someone tell me what kind of paint to use on it so the glow fuel will not bother it. thank you for your help. Fred
Old 05-27-2007, 07:00 PM
Crash Campbell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Fuel Proof Paint

Hi fzeller,

The answer to this question depends on some variables. Latex paint will work fine if you leave is to set for a couple of weeks before use and don't allow spilt fuel/exhaust residue sit for extended periods before wiping it off. Nearly all surfaces are effected by prolonged exposure to fuel or exhaust residue. The amount of nitro in you brew also will effect the surface.

If you want it impervious use polyester or epoxy resin or two pac epoxy paints. These are much more expensive and probably overkill for your situation. Ya pay ya money and takes ya pick.

Good Luck,

Colin
Old 05-27-2007, 09:19 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

The epoxy paint is the way to go if you don't plan on cleaning up after dripping or running the engine. Spar polurethane is the way to go for general protection from the elements, and it will take a lot of glow fuel abuse before breaking down, but should give a long life to the table.
Old 05-28-2007, 05:01 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Paint it with latex and clear coat it with Nelson's.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:25 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Clear, WATER based polyeurathane. Crystal clear, and fuel proof to at least 15% niitro.

Les
Old 05-28-2007, 10:46 AM
Deadeye

ORIGINAL: LesUyeda

Clear, WATER based polyeurathane. Crystal clear, and fuel proof to at least 15% niitro.

Les
Which brand? I've tried Minwax, and it wasn't even resistant. Ruined a fiberglass cowl and wheel pants paint job with it.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:16 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Behr. If the stuff you used was Polycrilic, it is not polyeurathane.

Les
Old 05-29-2007, 10:32 AM
Sport_Pilot

Automotive acrylic lacquer from Plasti Coat is available in auto parts stores. It is usually the Truck and Van paint, but I have seen it in some of their other products. Read the back of the can and look for the words acrylic lacquer, don't use acrylic enamal, the former is fuel proof to about 15 or 20% nitro, the later is not. Easy to use and dries real fast, unlike polyurethanes. Doesn't have the health issues that polyurethane has either.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:52 AM
saintcreed
My Feedback: (205)

Just get a can of rustoleum spray paint...works great ...easy to use and it's fuel proof....
Old 11-25-2007, 07:35 AM
JL1
My Feedback: (93)

With regard to rustoleum, I have heard that the best one is the type that says "fights rust" on the can
Old 11-25-2007, 08:30 AM
Ed Smith

Not so. 15% fuel stripped it right of with no effort on my test pieces. As a general rule, any water based finish is not Glo fuel proof.

Ed S
Old 11-26-2007, 01:00 AM
themadmax
My Feedback: (70)

Yeah!...like he said. I've painted planes with Rustoleum...you have to allow it to dry for a couple of days but then...good as it gets.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:10 PM
StickKiller

ORIGINAL: themadmax

Yeah!...like he said. I've painted planes with Rustoleum...you have to allow it to dry for a couple of days but then...good as it gets.
Just stumbled across this looking for answers for painting a plane. I've got 1 question. If I were to paint flat black rustoleum on a glo plane, would I need to put a flat clear coat on it? Or will it be OK by itself as far as residue and the removing of such? Sorry for the hi jack....just can't find much info.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:10 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Minwax Polycrylic is fuel RESISTANT with the following caveats:

1. Let the poly dry for a MINIMUM of 7 days before exposing to glow fuel residue (raw fuel should be wiped up immediately)

2. Do not let the residue remain on the finish for longer than 4 hours. After 4 hours the residue will soften the finish.

I suggest doing some test panels to be certain. MOST ACRYLIC paints are at least fuel resistant and many are fuel proof. Do a raw fuel test AND an exhaust residue test (put the panel about 12" from the exhaust of a 40 - 60 size engine for about 10 minutes). Let the residue sit for at least 6 - 8 hours, then wipe off. You will know if it is fuel proof or not.