Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Glo to Gas Conversion Carb Question

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Glo to Gas Conversion Carb Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 12:14 PM
rgoldy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glo to Gas Conversion Carb Question

Will a glo carb still work on a gas conversion or will you need to swap that to? Seen pics of this with a glo carb and was wondering how well, if at all, it worked?
Old 12-09-2007, 12:33 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Glo to Gas Conversion Carb Question

It will take A LOT of jet experimentation. Have lots of spare carbs.
Old 12-09-2007, 02:17 PM
rmh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

to help understand :
it takes at least twice as much alky -as gasoline -with the same airflow .
so the calibration ( the relative flow ) of gasoline is totally different
also the adjustment of the flow of gasoline (compared to alky/nitro) must be much finer.
The best setup is spark ignition - and an alky fuel with a touch of nitro.
easy smooth low peed transition easy carb adj- more power if you get compression correct. This is not for " dumb thumbs" It takes some sorting out -- but it really works
Old 12-09-2007, 07:11 PM
Jezmo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Dick,
You may have seen this already in the conversions forum, but I have begun testing a SuperTigre 51 on gasoline with CH CDI ignition. I am using the stock ST carb with pretty good success. It isn't perfect but it is close enough to use and most at my field that have taken the time to see what I am doing are impressed with the way it runs. Yes, I lost some power over glow fuel with 15% nitro but it is still strong. It turns an 11X6 13,400 rpm's on gasoline and the most impressive thing is it burns about 5 oz in 30 mins of normal sport type flying. (I am flying it on a Super Sportster) The needle is more sensitive but usable. The only rich spot it has is just above idle - maybe just over idle to around 1/4 throttle. From there on up it throttles nicely. Just thought you might find that interesting, if not please disregard.

Edited to add - This is probably not for newbies to engines but for someone with high mechanical aptitude or with a lot of ICE (internal combustion engine) experience it is not that difficult.
Old 12-10-2007, 05:44 AM
Charley
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ditto on the ST; mine was a 3000. Also a Saito 1.5. It helps that both engines had fine-thread HS needles.

CR