Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

MPI Miracle switches crap?

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

MPI Miracle switches crap?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 05:29 PM
FenderBean

Received 81 Likes on 54 Posts
Default MPI Miracle switches crap?

Okay I was told today there are a lot problems with the regulators that come on the switches. Is this true? are they failling with the new LITH ION batteries? I thought these were one of the best so I put them on my new 100cc yak. My friend had something go wrong today and caused his 100cc to crash, we think its the reg. It was amazing he was doing an invert flat spin and everythign froze it did a inverted all the way to the ground. Funny part was it on broke his rudder control serface and the prop. AMAZING luck!

So should I dump them and get some frameco?
Old 12-09-2007, 05:34 PM
fancman
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: MPI Miracle switches crap?

I'd find out why the system froze up first. If you just assume it was the regulator with no other proof you are asking for more trouble. Make sure of the problem before you bad mouth the regulator which may or may not be the problem.
Old 12-09-2007, 06:00 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is very common knowledge tha the miracle switches with built in reg's do have issues. The problem is they cover the heat sink with shrink wrap and then the heat cannot disappate, then the reg overheats and shuts down. This will happen quickly if you are using high draw servos or you have a servo match issue or you wrap the whole regulator in foam which makes it even harder f not impossible to disapate heat.
Old 12-09-2007, 06:29 PM
martinarcher
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use Ni-MH's with MPI switches - I won't use regulators after hearing so many stories. I'm debating making up pigtails that go from the receiver to a deans plug to eliminate the switches too. Just pop the hatch and unplug. One less part to fail and less weight too!

I have three MPI swicthed on my Ultimate - two for the receiver, and one for the DA ignition. I have had two fail and have replaced them. The switch still worked, but the charge jack failed - wouldn't charge the battery (yes it was in the off position). Don't know if any one else has seen that.
Old 12-09-2007, 06:43 PM
Rfabbre
My Feedback: (6)

I had one of three fail the day that I installed them---thankfully before I flew the plane. Sent it back and Maxx Products promptly sent me a replacement. No problems since then.

If heat sink cooling is the problem, can't the shrink just be trimmed off around it? (if it's on the top)

Has anyone corresponded with MPI about this? Do they know/think/agree that it's a problem??? Maybe they have or will develop a fix.

Old 12-09-2007, 06:50 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know I spoke to them over a year ago and I have seen new switches with the heat shrink still covering the heat sink, so I'll be it's safe to say that they are not fixing it
Old 12-09-2007, 07:18 PM
FenderBean

okay well I guess I will just keep the switches and either cut the reg of and replace with fromeco or cut off the shrink tubing. I would hate to lose a plane like this for a reg going bad.

and for the guy saying I should not bad mouth the product, I didnt bring this up because he crashed his plane, someone else told me that there are lots of post on here about them failing.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:51 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Fromeco regs only for me.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:38 AM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I have tried regulated switches, separate regulators, Duralites, etc. All had some of the problems mentioned at various times, including failures. Got rid of all this expensive crap and went back to 6V nicads and NiMH battery packs and heavy duty switches. Problems solved.

The extra pound battery weight in a 33% doesn't matter. Most of us clowns can't tell the difference anyway. The expensive goodies just provide potential problems bragging rights.

I would rather fly, not worry and let the know it alls do the bragging. Nicads and NiMH may be old technology but have never failed me in 30 years of R/C.
Old 12-10-2007, 01:43 AM
sweetpea01
My Feedback: (10)

I just use the SF turbo reg with the fan. No overheating and it handles 2 batteries.......at about $80 its the same price as buying 2 regulators anyway.
Old 12-10-2007, 05:58 AM
pliebo

I have been using MPI miracle switches on all of my giant scale planes for about 3 yrs now and have never had one fail. I have however had a smartfly super reg fail. I think the MPI's are fine as long as you don't wrap them in foam . I just use the glue dots to hold mine down. I really like them because of the simplicity. I do wish they came with heavy duty wire and deans connectors though.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:43 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

Take a look at converting to the A123 batteries. If you've got to replace batteries anyway, and you're worried about regulators the A123's don't need regulators and put out LOTS of power...
Old 12-10-2007, 10:04 AM
FenderBean

well I dont wrap mine if foam, but I do how ever have a piece of two sided foam between it and the frame. Should I get rid of and maybe just suspend them in the air with rubber bands?
Old 12-12-2007, 07:00 PM
marksextra
My Feedback: (28)

I've used the miracle switch in 3 35%planes in the last few years and not had any problems either. That's nine switches. I do usually have two switches, and two batteries, however for redundancy.