Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Gears!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2003, 09:20 PM
Forevafire1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gears!

i need help buying a new gear set i would like to get good acceleration for the strait aways in my towns track could you please help me on buying them and what i should get
Thanks
Old 04-07-2003, 10:24 PM
KyleSch

Default Gears!

Do you have a 2 speed? Also you have an RS4 3 right?

BTW, where in VA do you live?
Old 04-08-2003, 12:46 AM
Forevafire1

Default Gears!

o yea sry i forgot to list all that stupid me i have a rs4 3 rtr and it is not 2 speed and i live in manassas
Old 04-08-2003, 10:34 PM
KyleSch

Default Gears!

Cool you don't live that far away from me.

Anyway, your stock spur gear is 47 teeth and your pinion gear is 18, if you want more acceleration (with less top speed consequently) you would want to get a smaller clutch bell or bigger spur gear. I couldn't find any different sized spur gears so you would have to get a new clutch bell.

the less teeth the more acceleration

17T http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDHL4&P=7 30mph

16T http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDHL3&P=7 28mph

15T http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXM726&P=7 26mph

14T http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXM725&P=7 24mph
Old 04-08-2003, 10:38 PM
Forevafire1

Default Gears!

ok thanks so what size clutch should i get and if i got a smaller clutch wouldn't i have to get a different spur gear thanks bye the way
Old 04-08-2003, 10:39 PM
Forevafire1

Default Gears!

so by ur post i would want the first one 30 mph?
Old 04-08-2003, 10:41 PM
Forevafire1

Default Gears!

o or is the 30 my top speed? and will i need anything else if i get the 16t clutch belt?
Old 04-09-2003, 01:30 AM
KyleSch

Default Gears!

Nope its a direct fit, you would just have to take it off. And yeah the numbers are probably going to be the top speed, actually it may be a little higher than that, but the lower your top speed the more acceleration your gonna have. Usually the best ratio is one where you run out of RPM's right before you have to brake into the next turn, if you run out of RPM's midway down the straight your losing alot of time, but if you don't get your RPM's near max at the straight then you actually may be going slower, or the same but you will definitly loose time on the turns. I would recommend the 17T anything less than that your car may not be fast enough on the straight.
Old 04-09-2003, 06:25 PM
Forevafire1

Default Gears!

ok thanks kyle i am going to go out and buy it today but i can't drive it cuz it is so ****in rainy outside grrr
Old 04-10-2003, 01:00 AM
KyleSch

Default Gears!

Yeah it did rain alot today, I didn't look at the forcast for tomorrow, I hope its good. I finally got those spur gears from towerhobbies so I can run my car tomorrow
Old 04-10-2003, 08:33 PM
Forevafire1

Default Gears!

yeah!!! today is nice and sunny i just came in from diving my car and i went down to old town hobbie shop and got new tires and wheels for the car i don't no if u can help me on this or if u already posted this on my other forum but my brakes r ****ing messed up they will not stop to car 1 bit like i said in the other one i have to spin the car around and i don't want to mess up these wheels from doing that so do u no any reason why the cars brakes don't work i really need help on this cuz i need those brakes i drive in on a small street and i need the breaks to stop it or it goes strait into the water in the ditch if u could please help me with is it would be greatly appreciated also i have tried turning the idle down but that doesn't help so i no it is the brakes if u can't help its fine i will take it into my hobby shop but i don't wanna do that cuz it takes them like 2 weeks to fix it
Old 04-11-2003, 07:28 AM
WhiskyVR-4

Default Gears!

Originally posted by Forevafire1
yeah!!! today is nice and sunny i just came in from diving my car and i went down to old town hobbie shop and got new tires and wheels for the car i don't no if u can help me on this or if u already posted this on my other forum but my brakes r ****ing messed up they will not stop to car 1 bit like i said in the other one i have to spin the car around and i don't want to mess up these wheels from doing that so do u no any reason why the cars brakes don't work i really need help on this cuz i need those brakes i drive in on a small street and i need the breaks to stop it or it goes strait into the water in the ditch if u could please help me with is it would be greatly appreciated also i have tried turning the idle down but that doesn't help so i no it is the brakes if u can't help its fine i will take it into my hobby shop but i don't wanna do that cuz it takes them like 2 weeks to fix it
The Nitro RS4-3 kit comes with that silly plastic disk. I would scrap it in a hurry. You can go with the HPI fiber disk, or if you feel like spending the dough Hot Bodies makes a kit with a thinner (but slotted!) steel disk and some nifty pads that should stop that thing in a heartbeat.

I almost bought the HotBodies brake upgrade, but opted for the HPI carbon disk instead (less than half the price), and I have to say that I'm VERY happy with the performance of the Fiber disk. It stops my car from high-rpm 2nd gear to stand-still in about 10 feet (it also dramatically out-brakes the hopped-up NTC3 my roommate runs).

Why would it take the shop 2 weeks to fix your car? Just go pick up the part and install it yourself. You gotta learn sometime, or this hobby is going to be very frustrating. Hell, building/fixing is half the fun!
Old 04-11-2003, 09:52 AM
KyleSch

Default Gears!

Yeah thats what I hate about RTR's you don't know how to build them. You really gotta learn because your car is going to be repairs more than you'll be running it most likely. Its really not tht hard

Anyway to fix the brakes try screwing in the plastic screw with your fingers in and ever 5 twists or so (with it on neutral) check and see if there is any brake drag when you move the car forward. When you get to this point unscrew it one or two twists at a time until there is no brake drag at neutral. This way as soon as you touch the brakes they will engage. Hope it works.
Old 04-11-2003, 09:54 AM
KyleSch

Default Gears!

Yeah thats what I hate about RTR's you don't know how to build them. You really gotta learn because your car is going to be repairs more than you'll be running it most likely. Its really not tht hard

Anyway to fix the brakes try screwing in the plastic screw with your fingers in and ever 5 twists or so (with it on neutral) check and see if there is any brake drag when you move the car forward. When you get to this point unscrew it one or two twists at a time until there is no brake drag at neutral. This way as soon as you touch the brakes they will engage. Hope it works.

Another thing, make sure the screws that go into the transmittion case and hold in the brake "pads (the metal ones)" are all the way screwed in, if it isn't then the brakes are useless.
Old 04-11-2003, 11:00 PM
Forevafire1

Default Gears!

well i was driving my car yesterday on the small road next to my house i adjusted my brakes and all just adjusted the screw on the end of the pole and thought i should go give it a try in the road cuz i all ready tried on my basket ball court well anyway i took it on the street and right when i started driving it it just turned strait into the ditch which was full of water so i took it back inside and dried it off and i mean really good then i took it back out to try again and with my luck the steering just suddenly turned the car right into to water so i ran back in and dried it off AGAIN and now the steering is ****ed it just stays to the left and it will turn and all but it just satays to the left when i turn it on and off it is like the position it has learned is to go to the left right when i turn it on BUT the throttle and brakes still work i need some serious help guys please help me i have no clue what to do, o and now over SPRING BREAK when it is supposed to be 70 and sunny i can't drive it grrr well please help me
Old 04-11-2003, 11:03 PM
KyleSch

Default Gears!

Check and see if the throttle trim on your controller is set to the full brake position, you want it to be in the neutral position when you set up the brake linkage.
Old 04-12-2003, 11:48 AM
Forevafire1

Default Gears!

kyle what should i do about the steering? i need help bad
Old 04-12-2003, 06:08 PM
Forevafire1

Default Gears!

never mind i fixed it!!!
Old 04-12-2003, 09:20 PM
KyleSch

Default Gears!

ok, new servos are only about 10 dollars if you ruin one so its not that bad.
Old 04-13-2003, 01:36 AM
Forevafire1

Default Gears!

wow really they r only 10 dollars in this hobby i would think they would atleast be 40 dolars!