Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Duralite Gemini reg on 35% plane?

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Duralite Gemini reg on 35% plane?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 10:13 AM
Scoubidou
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Duralite Gemini reg on 35% plane?

I am looking for something light/redundant to put in 35% aerobatic plane withtout using power box because i have only 4xJR8411+1xJR8711+2xJR8611+2xJ537.

In my book, the powerbox is overkill in 35% plane and i was ready to go the smartfly super reg with dean connectores and two li-ion packs combined to two switches when i saw this kind of ''powerbox'' that we put into helicopters. It has two built-in 7.5amp regulators+one 5.4V output that i could use for ignition and it comes with a sweet switch with two push bottons. Any concerns if we put it 35% aerobatic plane?

Daniel

http://duralitebatteries.com/flight/accessories7.php
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67785.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	829944  
Old 12-21-2007, 01:16 AM
Rockyaged

Default RE: Duralite Gemini reg on 35% plane?

In my opinion, the major advantage of the Smart Fly Power systems is to direct the current
and voltage to the servos, without going thru the reciever. It also supplies the proper voltage
to the reciever, to facilitate proper signaling. For aerobatic airplanes requiring multiple servos
in each wing for ailerons and in the stabs for each elevator, the Hi-End Smart Flys provide the
syncronizing of all of those servos, thus eliminating the need for equalizers or match-boxes.
The new A123 batteries that are beginning to be used do not need voltage regulation due to
their top voltage being 7.2 volts, and that drops quickly to 6.6 and levels off for longer times
that the current popular Ions do. Except that if the new A123s are used on most ignition
systems, it will need regulation to less than 6 volts. There will be some that say otherwise, but it's
the manufacturers that set voltage levels and should be followed for warranty coverage and
longer life. The servos you have listed will draw some voltage, but the concern is how much current
will the servos draw and will the power box support that amount of current. I do not see any Helicopter
drawing the same amount of current.
If the power box you have does enough of what is required, then go for it. Be sure, as your
investment will be large and costly if it fails.

Gerald
Old 12-21-2007, 12:05 PM
GmanBill
My Feedback: (10)

In my opinion I prefer the Smart-Fly sport for 35%ers (http://www.smart-fly.com/Products/Po...ersystems.html) It has everything on it and you don't need to use any match boxes or anything when you run multiple servos. Just plug them in. You can even run your servos over 6volts with only 5 going to the receiver.
Old 12-21-2007, 04:01 PM
Scoubidou

Thanks for your input guys but i am not big fan of powerbox system with 35% planes. I prefer strong reg+li-ion batts.

Maybe the smart-fly super reg with Fromeco Wolferine switch with dean connectors be a better solution for me.
Old 12-21-2007, 04:14 PM
Panzlflyer
My Feedback: (15)

strong reg+li-ion
Thats a misnomer right there, for less than $140 you could use 2 A123s thru a Wolverine and have as much power as a 2x Lion dreams of from just one pack.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:40 PM
Scoubidou

Thats a misnomer right there, for less than $140 you could use 2 A123s thru a Wolverine and have as much power as a 2x Lion dreams of from just one pack.
+100$ for A123 charger?[8D]
Old 12-21-2007, 06:42 PM
Flyjets
My Feedback: (51)

Scoubidou

mY 2 cENTS a Helicopter Regulator on a 35% plane isn't a good idea.

Especially if 3D control rates are going to be used.

Dual Regulation is a Min in this catergory with Dual Batteries.

The Powerbox is overkill but when you figure the price of the dual Regulators and some type of distrubition Block plus a switch it starts to make sense.

Best Of Luck
and a Ho Ho to U

Ian
Old 12-21-2007, 07:59 PM
Scoubidou

The Powerbox is overkill but when you figure the price of the dual Regulators and some type of distrubition Block plus a switch it starts to make sense.
Yeah
My problem is that i fly a lot and i need 10 flights minimum without recharging. The lightest setup i found was for my 33% planes: 1x2800ma li-ion+
1x5600mA li-ion connected on super reg with batshare+2 switches. 12 flights without recharging.

Like Panzleflier says, The future of batteries is probably the new A123 but i am not ready to get ridoff my li ion chargers (Ioncube+hobicco) yet.

The Emcotech DSPI-RV mini seems interresting at 189$ including one switch+2 regs+powerbox

or :
2 superswitch with dean connectors:35$*2=70$
super reg:70$
total 140$

So, does 49$ worth it?