Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Steering servo going out?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 11:43 PM
jdm_k20

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering servo going out?

When I drove my truck today, the turns seemed like they were getting wider on my savage. It looked like it barely wanted to turn. The trim is the same as it's always been. I also changed my throttle servo and this started happening after I changed it, so could that have anything to do with it?
Old 12-22-2007, 11:50 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Steering servo going out?

is it bad in just one direction? does it go striaght when you want it to? is your servo saver on tight?
Old 12-23-2007, 01:40 AM
haasjj

Did you check your battery? Stering servos need alot of power to turn those big tires and if your battery was going it would turn wider as you were driving more. I can't see why changing the throttle servo would effect the stering unless the servo was bad and stealing the power needed by the stering servo.
Old 12-23-2007, 01:53 AM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah I'd check the battery. When my FG MT's rx pack starts to go the steering gets affected first.
Old 12-23-2007, 03:10 AM
jdm_k20

batteries were just changed not too long ago. It only acts up when i turn left, it does go straight when I want it to and I don't think I have a servo saver. The throttle servo that I just put in is pretty much new, so it shouldn't be robbing power from the steering should it? Should I change the batterys again?
Old 12-23-2007, 05:57 AM
haasjj

Are you using rechargeable batterys or standard AA batterys? The reason I ask is because you wrote," batteries were just changed not too long ago". If you are using AA alkaline batterys you should switch to rechargeable batterys, yes they are more expensive to begin with but they will save you money in the long run. I don't know how long alkaline batterys would last in a truck like this but if you got two days of hard driving with these batterys I would be surprised. One more thing for now you should NEVER drive your truck if you don't know how much of a charge your batterys have, either alkaline or rechargeable batterys. The main reason for this is simple how would you like to see your truck drive away from you at full speed with no control over it. The truck will most likely go around 30mph if you have a full tank of fuel it will run about 6-9 minutes before running out of fuel, bye bye truck. The second worst case would be to hit something at full throttle and break parts or hurt someone but hopefully a person will get out of the way.

With out seeing your truck I can't tell you why its worse when you turn left maybe a Savage owner can help out there.

I don't know how the Savage is set up so without seeing one I'm not sure if it has a servo saver or not, but you need to find out and if you don't have one on your truck you need to get a servo saver very soon, but I'm guessing that it does most new trucks the servo saver is built in to the stering.

A simple battery checker listed below just follow the link and remember that the cost of repairs that hurt more,

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXEYM6&P=ML
Old 12-23-2007, 09:17 AM
hands without shadows

Savages use a cam type servo saver. Its built right into the steering system.
Old 12-23-2007, 01:54 PM
jdm_k20

I'm using AA batteries. They usually last a little while but they could be going dead. I will change them and see if that fixes the problem.
Old 12-23-2007, 04:01 PM
calvino

ORIGINAL: jdm_k20

I'm using AA batteries. They usually last a little while but they could be going dead. I will change them and see if that fixes the problem.
definately do that, my neighbor forgot to change the bats in his reciever box, and it seemed like the servos were dying, but, he forgot to change them, I would go rechargable
Old 12-23-2007, 05:47 PM
jdm_k20

Ok, I replaced the batteries and it worked! Thanks for the help!