Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Sig Aerokote Aluminum covering???

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Sig Aerokote Aluminum covering???

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 04:20 PM
green river rc
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sig Aerokote Aluminum covering???

Has anyone used Sig Aerokote covering?

On the Tower Hobbies site the Aerokote aluminum looks nice and shiny like a roll of aluminum foil, just like what I'm after. The Monokote and Ultracote aluminum look to gray to me. I have used Monokote aluminum before, I'm just trying to find something a little more realistic for my next project.

Thanks,
David
Old 12-23-2007, 11:03 PM
submikester
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: Sig Aerokote Aluminum covering???

I used it on my most recent Sig Kougar build and it does look pretty nice to me.

I liked it better than monokote overall, it seems to shrink better and it seemed a bit more durable.
Old 12-23-2007, 11:54 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've used Aerokote Light. It works OK for me. It didn't seem to be as shiny as Monokote or Ultracoat but that wasn't a huge problem. It also seemed to burn really easy but that could have been due to it being the "light" version and I'm more used to higher temp Monokote. To me Aerokote seems very similar to what is used on some ARF's, especially those from World Models.
Old 12-24-2007, 12:06 AM
Krener

Aerokote is my choice for coverings.

Was a little sceptical when I ordered it, but at the time it was all I could get.
Covered my Sig Somethin Extra with it, and have ordered some 'Lite' Aluminium for my Herr P-51 Mustang build.

It is good stuff, hardy, sticks well to balsa and even better to itself! (watch out for this bit, the adhesion can be a pain if you need to reposition etc)

It will be my first choice of covering for future kits, and when I can get my hands on the colours I need (got some coming on a slow boat from the US 3 MONTH WAIT!!!!!) I'm going to recover my Pulse XT as the factory stuff is pretty ordinary to say the least.

The Aluminium looks pretty good to me, shiny, but not too shiny if ya get my drift.
I would advise staying away from Brilliant White, it reflects sunlight so well it leaves blind spots in your eyes (hence the name 'Brilliant White' I guess)