Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Starter Box Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 02:21 AM
webbl19

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter Box Question

Im sure there is probably a forum somewhere for this question but i cant find it so if anyone knows please redirect me.

So i got a fairly cheap nitro truck for my birthday. It is my first one and i know nothing about them except they are awesome. Well im having troubles with the pull start, i keep breaking it. I ripped the string right out and it cracked the spool that the string goes around. I kind of fixed that by tieing a knot around the thing. But i think it would be much easier on me if i got a bump/starter box. However the one i looked at, at the local hobby shop would not work cause my engine sits up to high. So my question is does anyone know of a starter box that has the rubber wheel that sits up kind of high and is somewhat cheap that works with a pull start engine? I want to try and avoid changing out the flywheel if i can.

Here is the link to the one i got. It has all the specs on it if you need it. I cant find to many parts for this manufactor im guessing it is not that good of a car, but then again i have never had a nitro before, so why tear up a $500 one.

http://www.minirccar.com/index.asp?P...ROD&ProdID=589

Any help will be greatly appricated.

Thanks
Old 12-23-2007, 02:24 AM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Starter Box Question

I take it the flywheel is visible from underneath?
Old 12-23-2007, 02:35 AM
webbl19

if i turn the car sideways or upside down i can see it, but looking at it straight on it does not protude from the bottom.
Old 12-23-2007, 02:38 PM
webbl19

Here are some crappy pictures i hope they will help.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us52925.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	832212   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38671.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	832213   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty64597.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	832214   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ex68121.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	832215   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pa33549.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	832216  
Old 12-23-2007, 03:47 PM
nitro stan

your LHS guy should be able to come up with a set of engine mounts that will lower the engine a little.or a roto start set up that would fit it. the problem with rasing the starter box wheel is that the higher the wheel gets the larger the diameter gets bigger and won't fit in the slot on your chasis
Old 12-23-2007, 08:14 PM
sheograth

A roto start would probably be your best bet
Old 12-23-2007, 08:20 PM
calvino

why not take a large disk, mount a rubber "o-ring" to it, and hook that up to like an airplane starter, I have seen lots of of people down at the RC track doing that[8D]
Old 12-24-2007, 04:51 PM
webbl19

my LHS guys didnt seem like they wanted to help me anyways. As soon as i walked in they said they didnt have anything for my car. Anyways where do i find one of these airplane starters? And is there a universal roto start that anyone knows of? Cause again the LHS guys said that parts are pretty specific to the manufature.
Old 12-24-2007, 05:40 PM
haasjj

Which hobby shop are you taliking about? I drive semi and stop at some of the shops in th KC area and most seem helpful. Yeah some local shops are not very freindly when someone comes in with something that was bought from a web site, but IMO they only make things worse when they don't help out a new customer. Why would someone return if you didn't get help the first time you walked in.

Without seeing the truck up close its hard to tell but see if someone in your area has a Ofna starter box the one with the chrome top give that a try. It might just work.

If you want to see if you can find a roto start check out tower hobbies for Sullivan tiger drive to see if they make one to fit that engine. or folow the link below

http://www.sullivanproducts.com/tigerdrivecontent.htm
Old 12-24-2007, 07:00 PM
webbl19

ok i will check out this tiger drive it is a bit cheaper, and from what i can measure i think it will fit.

it is a hobby town on N. Oak Trwy. I have been in there before and this one guy was nice but this younger guy was there the other day, and he didnt even want to touch the thing. Get bad mojo i guess. lol

Old 12-24-2007, 07:12 PM
sheograth

I have a few hobby shops around here like that. I went into one the other day looking for parts for a Bergenzoni 1/5 competition touring car and they were like "We carry parts for hobby grade vehicles like Traxxas and stuff" I almost felt like pointing out the irony and making a snide remark about how the bergenzoni costs more than their paycheck, but I kept my mouth shut

The other hobby stores in the area basically only cater to airplanes or model trains.\

Check out the Tiger Drive system, they might have a backplate that will fit your engine.
Old 12-24-2007, 07:26 PM
webbl19

ok i have another question i was just outside messing with it, i noticed that there was gas coming out of the muffler. That means it is to rich right? Which way do i turn the needles, is it counter-clockwise? Also im not sure how loud it is supposed to be but it seems that it is idleing fast. When i turn the trim down it wants to take off. I think there is a tuning tread somewhere but i cant find it today.
Old 12-24-2007, 07:46 PM
sheograth

Clockwise leans the mixture. If unburnt fuel is spewing out of the pipe, its likely you are running too rich. Go slow when leaning it out, 1/16 turn increments or so, and monitor temperature.
Old 12-24-2007, 09:51 PM
nitro stan

a lot of hobby shops employ people that know nothing about the products they sell. Hobby town seems to be the worst with service. there like the auto parts stores for you real car, if its not in the computer they don't know how to help then when they find out you got your car off the net, they get snotty when you need help, 1 more thing don't call them and ask if they have the part you need in stock, they'll never look, just tell ya no. iv called my LHS many times about a part only to be told we got to order it, go there and see bingo i find what i need
Old 12-25-2007, 01:33 AM
webbl19

slright everyone thanks for you help.

does anyone know what the tread was called for that pvc stand. i was browsing and i seen it the other day but now i cant find it.
Old 12-25-2007, 01:54 AM
sheograth

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6487603/tm.htm

That thread might be one you're talking about, it's a great looking stand and the design can be adapted a bit for various vehicles.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:00 PM
webbl19

Yep thats the page. Thanks

Also i was looking at the website i bought my car from and was browsing some of the others and noticed that the chassis and stuff on the Red Cat volcano is basically the same thing that i got. So im thinking that the company i got my car from sells debranded Red Cat. The parts, engine and stuff looks like they may be the cheaper versions than they put on red cat's, but i was looking at the red cat website and they sell the engine that is in my car. So atleast i know who i can order parts from incase the place i got mine from doesnt have any. See check it out. It makes me feel a little better. But not a lot cause i see mixed reviews about Red Cats.

My car
http://www.minirccar.com/index.asp?P...ROD&ProdID=589

Red Cat Volcano
http://www.redcatracing.com/itemdeta...partno=VOLCANO
Old 12-27-2007, 01:01 AM
sheograth

Yeah, the redcat / himoto / HSP etc designs are very prevalent, tons of different names.