Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Glow to Electric Conversions
Reload this Page >

Just because it's electric, does not make it a park flyer!

Community
Search
Notices
Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

Just because it's electric, does not make it a park flyer!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 03:42 AM
carguy84

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just because it's electric, does not make it a park flyer!

So, I've been park flying all this year with a Brio 10 and a CAP 232 BP. They are built well and definitely made for park flying; short take off and short landing requirements. I love how they fly and I love the power of the electic motors, pound for pound they kick the cr4p out of glow engines. Unfortunately, the cost of the LiPos is a pretty big downer.

Anyway, my project this late winter was to convert my Nexstar to a 46 electric flier. I picked up an E-Flite 46 motor, 60Amp Castle Phoenix ESC and some batteries to support this beast(5S 4200MAH). All told, the conversion cost about $600 at my LHS, perhaps a crazy amount to be spending on a "trainer" platform, but I figured I could use this setup for quite a while in other planes.

Today I maidened the e-Nexstar at a small park field, surrounded by woods, take off and flying went really well, this thing pulls like it has a .90 engine on the front of it, I mean SERIOUS amount of air being moved behind the prop. I know electrics are always more powerful then glow, but this power was ridiculous.

I was flying with a DX7 and I don't think I ran into any electrical glitches, although at one point it seems as though I lost all control of the plane and it ended up gliding into the bushes. I don't know if I air stalled it, or if I lost total communication, but I've definitely flown this system farther, so I'm guessing I stalled it. Anyway, I was able to hop a fence and recover the plane which was seated up in a 12' tree Lost style. I was able to get it down, no problem, and the plane had 0(zero) damage. Amazing.

I still had a lot of battery left, so I decided to bring it back to the field and practice landing with this new setup, since I technically hadn't landed this plane. With it's setup as it is, it was noticably tail heavy, I countered it with some trim, but that doesn't help landing speed at all. I realized then, that the site I was flying at, wasn't condusive to landing one of these planes. lol, now what. I ended up having to circle the field a bit, using every but of skill I could muster(which admittedly, for a plane this size, isn't much). I circled it in for a landing, and brought her down at about 20-30mph, about 10x faster than I was used to. It landed fast, but not hard, however the grass caught the landing gear and bent the right rear landing gear a bit and crunched some balsa. Nothing serious, but definitely an eye opener that these glow planes require a true field to play in.

Long story short, I love flying my old Nexstar again. I hate the cost of TP LiPos. But I love the power!

Chip-

PS: I'll post some pics of the setup manana.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:47 AM
packyj

Default RE: Just because it's electric, does not make it a park flyer!

Maybe some modding for flaps is in order Good luck flying.
Old 04-01-2007, 10:14 AM
normgoyer

Hi guys, for what's it worth. I have encountered same problems with a single conversion 72 receiver in a Park Flyer. I ran out of signal and I thought that it was still within range. Solution, tossedf out single conversion. It would work for interior flying but I don't do that. If you are using one of the first Spectrum rigs you know that they would not have brought out a completely different Version #2 if the first one was okay. Guys at our club have lost models with the original when they tried to fly them like their old FM systems, didn't work, ran out of range. Norm
Old 12-06-2007, 10:59 PM
c_rad001

Hey guys my names Conrad. I need help choosing a prop. 13" is max lngth. Multi blade suggestions?

I got into rc flight last february w/HZ Super Cub (cost$159) and currently I fly a HZ Typhoon3D(cost$195). I fly on these li po's a 3s1p 20C 2250 mah@ 24 1/2 min of flying time(cost$21.79) and 3s1p 1600 mah@ 15 min(cost$17.95). Also more along the lines of this forum I was given a 50 size gas classic ugly stick, sans motor, that I'm converting to electric. I know that I probably sound like a ringr but guys there's no other way I could afford this hobby. Here's the ordered power train I'm currently waiting on. Oh sorry here's my sticks specs firstsymetrical wing) wingspan52 5/8", length 43" firewall to tail, tricycle landing gear, w/an Hitec Optic 6 Sport for raidio. Now back to power train: Turnigy 42-60 500Kv 900w outrunner, TowerPro 50 amp ESC, and 2 4s1p 2250mah lipo's for $127 incl shipping. Now I know their motors perform at an avrg of 7 to 12% less efficiancy but hey for the money you do the math that only translates to mabe a couple of min less flight time w/propper ventilation of course. Anyway the li po's I use from them are Loong Max. The others I cant vouch for.

any way here's the site: http://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITEDH...idProduct=6231
Old 12-30-2007, 09:23 AM
mycarisaser

I also went from parkflyers to a 50size plane too. I started flying back in june of this year with a supercub. Flew it for about 2 to 3 weeks then went to 4 channel brushless warbirds and havent looked back. I tried to do a cmp 50 size mustang with a 50x55motor and a 5s lipo. Well had loads of issues with the plane being over weight and the wings were warped. It landed like a brick. I then built another plane of the same size,it was a flymodels polecat 50 with the same motor and battery. This thing flys like a trainer and I can spot land it in about 20 ft section

[img][/img]

Also this helped me out alot for landing a bigger plane even though you can dead stick land the polecat like a trainer.

http://www.oz********.com/2007/08/advanced-landing.html
Old 12-30-2007, 08:56 PM
ramboy

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyway, my project this late winter was to convert my Nexstar to a 46 electric flier. I picked up an E-Flite 46 motor, 60Amp Castle Phoenix ESC and some batteries to support this beast(5S 4200MAH). All told, the conversion cost about $600 at my LHS, perhaps a crazy amount to be spending on a "trainer" platform, but I figured I could use this setup for quite a while in other planes.

Tower Hobbies sells the RTF electric version of the Nexstar for about $400. This includes plane, motor, and radio. Batteries are extra.

Old 12-30-2007, 09:05 PM
carguy84

Ya, that is a sweet deal. Of course you're going to spend about $300 for the battery, and at the end of the day you won't have either the e-flite motor or the castle creations ESC, but for some one just getting into it, electric is the way to go with the Nexstar for sure. So easy, and no mess.