Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Ryobi 31cc Starves When Inverted

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2003, 06:50 PM
lewdfinger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ryobi 31cc Starves When Inverted

Just finished a 4-Star 120 for my brother. Maidened it yesterday. Two deadsticks!

12 oz tank, 3 lines (one vent, one filler line with clunk and fuel line with clunk), primer bulb line is closed off with a piece of tubing and a machine screw. 87 Octane with petroluem oil at 40:1, original Walbro carb, with JAG conversion and carb spacer. 16x8 MA prop, original flywheel and magneto. Frank Bowman ring. Bisson Muffler.

Starts easily with minimal choking. Idles OK at 23-2400, reasonable transition to 7100 peak. I richened the topend to run at around 6900-7000 on the ground.

After about 5-7 minutes in the air, starts to sputter with high-G and vertical manoeuvres, and will quit when inverted, at high or low throttle settings. The first time it happened I thought I had the low end needle too lean, so I richened it up, had a great initial second flight, and then a sudden deadstick after about 5 seconds inverted.

Checked the clunks and both are free in the tank. It sounds to me like the carb pump ain't working so well. Any suggestions?

KD
Old 04-11-2003, 08:57 PM
Volture
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ryobi 31cc Starves When Inverted

Does it fly inverted OK on a full tank? How long does it take to quit when inverted -- instantly, or can you fly it a while?

I'd think that the tank elevation with respect to the carb isn't much different inverted vs. upright, so I doubt it's the pump.

Grab some helpers and stick the nose straight up in the air and run it up with a 1/4 full tank. This will tell you if you have a pump problem.

You're sure your clunk makes it to the bottom (top) of the tank OK when inverted, and that the vent line is freely open??? I wonder if your clunks are interfering with each other. I assume you have the clunk on the fill line so you can drain the tank?