Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

foam packing

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

foam packing

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2003, 01:44 PM
parkerspop
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default foam packing

Has anyone used that spray-in insulation foam to insulate the fuel tank from vibration? I have a cavity around the front half of my tank and the tank barely fits in the braces so I'd have to cut it larger to fit any foam around it.
i have that infamous MDS .40 that likes to deadstick, been told that it's probably from foaming in the tank.

Just thought that the foam is pretty light and I can get it into a tight spot. Any inherent problems I should know about?
Old 04-17-2003, 02:14 PM
MIC

Default foam packing

Actually fitting a tank so tightly and locking it in place place can cause foaming as well. The form packing needs to allow for shock absorbtion and not locked down completely.

Never had any luck with either MDS .40 or .48 Tried everything from to get them to run. Finally move to OS.

Life is good!!
Old 04-18-2003, 04:52 AM
Devo

Default foam packing

I'd be careful using spray in insulation. It expands with some force and likely will cause distortion or cracking of your fuselage.
Old 04-18-2003, 06:00 PM
Woodpile

Default Aerosol Foam

I used that type of foam to insulate the bottom of my boat and take up space to keep water out. It's pretty hard when it cures to it will transfer vibration very well... It does expand a lot too so be careful...

Ed
Old 04-28-2003, 08:15 PM
TWINSTAR/NOMAD

Default MDS

the reason why your MDS engine is playing up is because there SH^TE engines!!, the 48 is the worst of the lot!, its just a bored out 30, and the head twists as the metal heats up!. The mixture changes and the engine cuts. The other motors are bad because the carbs arn't any good. they have brought out the Mk2 carbs, but they still arn't any better!

3 thinks M.D.S stands for -

More-Dead-Sticks
Metal-Door-stop
Mostly-Duff_Sh^te

cheers

Andrew, from the rainy UK