Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

working with acetate

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

working with acetate

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 05:31 AM
Mustangbazza

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default working with acetate

Hello All

I have been putting together A cessna 182 Skylane, 100" span, I have got carried away with scale details and have now bought some navigation and landing lights to go in her, the leading edge landing lights I have been lucky to find some holders and lenses, which will be mounted in a tray set into the wing and covered with acetate.

Now the question is, what to do with the wing tips?
I think I want to cut into the leading edge of the tip, taking out a 90degree corner setting the lights into this area, what I would like to know is how do you make a clear cover shaped to this?
For the landing lights in the leading edge of the wing it will be simple to fold acetate to the shape of the leading edge, but the wing tip is a 90 degree corner.
Also I would like to make thimble or cap shape covers for the nav lights in the wing tips.

1. Can all this be done using clear and coloured acetate?

2. If so how do I mould/shape it?

3. Are there different grades or thickness that I need to find that will allow shaping/moulding without damage?

I Hope this request is clear and that someone would take a mo to share their knowledge on this one

Kind Regards Barry
Old 02-02-2008, 07:18 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: working with acetate

ORIGINAL: Bazzahat

Hello All

I have been putting together A cessna 182 Skylane, 100" span, I have got carried away with scale details and have now bought some navigation and landing lights to go in her, the leading edge landing lights I have been lucky to find some holders and lenses, which will be mounted in a tray set into the wing and covered with acetate.

Now the question is, what to do with the wing tips?
I think I want to cut into the leading edge of the tip, taking out a 90degree corner setting the lights into this area, what I would like to know is how do you make a clear cover shaped to this?
For the landing lights in the leading edge of the wing it will be simple to fold acetate to the shape of the leading edge, but the wing tip is a 90 degree corner.
Also I would like to make thimble or cap shape covers for the nav lights in the wing tips.

1. Can all this be done using clear and coloured acetate?

2. If so how do I mould/shape it?

3. Are there different grades or thickness that I need to find that will allow shaping/moulding without damage?

I Hope this request is clear and that someone would take a mo to share their knowledge on this one

Kind Regards Barry

Yep. Carve a plug from wood (pine is among the best) and vaccuum form your parts. Make your plug slightly undersize to allow for the thickness of the plastic. I make wheel pants, tail cones and windshields for many of my models.

There are numerous threads here on vaccuum forming. I used my shop vac and about $15 for parts to make mine (had to but some sheet metal pieces). While you can use acetate for vaccuum forming, I have found that PETG works best for me. US Plastics has some very good prices on PETG.

PETG comes clear, however, you can dye it using the same technique as dyeing a canopy (Rit Dye).
Old 02-09-2008, 05:39 PM
tasesq

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: working with acetate

Hi,

If you are like me - then setting up a vacuum forming setup for only potentially a few small parts was just WAY to hard.

I was making some clear, stremlined covers for the nav lights on the wing tips, tail and underside of fuse. I simply shaped a piece of balsa to the shape i wanted, then wet it a little. I applied some spackle (v thick) and then sanded this back so it was smooth and the right shape. This is simply so you have a smooth surface for later.

I then glued this onto a stick, and placed into a block so it was standing up. I then got some thick acetate from work, and borrowed a heat gun. Using gardening cloves, cut a square around 10 times bigger then you need (the squares were about 4" x 4" and the final product was about 3/4" x 1/2"). Place the acetate on a headproof surface (i used the building board) then heat until it is floppy. pick it up with your gloves and gently pull over the shape. It will take a few goes and you will throw plenty of them away, but you end up with the perfect thing. I then trim them off the stick around the bottom of the plug and there you go!

Make sense? I certainly couldn't be bothered making an entire vacuum table just for these little bits!