Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Nylon bolts for my Renny II Electric

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Nylon bolts for my Renny II Electric

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 11:37 AM
mechmove

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nylon bolts for my Renny II Electric

I’m sure many in the US have come across this problem.

The kit came with 4 Metric bolts, (2 different sizes) and the instruction says it’s a good idea to convert to 8/32”.

I do not know what things I need to buy to make this conversion. I believe I will be drilling 7/32” first, then I need tap female threads?

Could someone tell me exactly what would I be buying from the hardware store to accommodate commonly available 8/32” RC nylon bolts?
Old 02-19-2008, 12:13 PM
papermache
My Feedback: (35)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Nylon bolts for my Renny II Electric

mech,
First of all, let's do some quick math. 8/32 = 1/4. Does that make it easier? you bet it does! Tap drill for a 1/4-20 bolt is 3/16". Any good hardware store will have the drill and the tap, and most likely the nylon bolts as well. Good luck.

papermache
Old 02-19-2008, 12:20 PM
CanDo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For a 8/32 tap, my drill index recommends a #29 bit, which is just under .135" diameter. If you are drilling into wood, a 1/8" drill bit (.125" dia) will do the job for you. FYI, I bought a tap set that included drill bits. I believe I got the tap set from Balsa USA, but I would check Harbor Freight and local hardware stores. With a little luck, they might have nylon bolts too.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:49 PM
mechmove

Thanks everyone, much appreciated!

I got the drill and bits, just need to buy a 1/4-20 tap...
Old 02-19-2008, 05:57 PM
Harc

Take a look at J&R Hobby Hardware for your needs. Web site is www.jrhobbyhardware.com I will be placing an order in short order. They have lots of good "stuff" and very economical plus not eating you alive with shipping and handling costs.

Harc
Old 02-19-2008, 07:37 PM
mechmove

Just an FYI: I looked at the 1/4 – 20 tap, and it looked too big for this application. The specs say 8/32, so I bought that tap, which comes with a #29 drill bit. These sizes look more consistent with what I am replacing. I remembered I had some nylon bolts in my RC cabinet from years ago, sure enough, there are 1”, and fit perfectly after drilling and tapping the screws on sample balsa wood.

I’m not sure how the ¼ relates to 8/32, the math does work, but somehow they are different animals. I am guessing the difference is as follows, 8/32 has 32 threads / inch, whereas the ¼ has 20, and looks to be much larger, but I’m not an expert.