Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Any expert, please help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 03:42 PM
peachey24

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any expert, please help!

I've got a 71" span Pace spirit (Galaxy Acro). Basically i bought this plane a few years ago, it kinda flew once but was toooooo underpowered and it had a pretty heavy crash. i'm just about to clean it up and fibreglass the whole lot and spray it But i was wondering as i had an SC 108 glow engine in it and it wasnt powerfull enough, what engine do i need, i'm thinking Gas/strimmer engine personally. Any suggestions on what to do and what engine to get 20cc, 40cc??!?!?!?!

Any help would be brilliant as i really want to get this thing back in the air, hopfully for a longer period of time this time!
Old 02-17-2008, 04:37 PM
AirWizard
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Any expert, please help!

Brillelli makes a good engine.
Old 02-17-2008, 07:49 PM
Jake Ruddy
My Feedback: (40)

It would be more helpful to know what the weight is after the crash repair... it doesn't take long for a repair to get heavy.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:03 AM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

If you want to stay with glow since it is already set up for that, a 135 Moki/Mark 2-stroke, or a 180 Saito 4-stroke. If you want to go gas, there are a lot of choices in the 26cc range. A quick search will yield these then just do some homework on the ones that your interested in. I would stay away from conversions still having mags.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:43 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What is weighs and what it could weigh after an engine change means everything to the answer.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:46 PM
peachey24

Cheers guys for the advice, i deff want to go for gas. I'll do the repair then see what the weight is after, i'm gonna try to add just a thin layer of fibre glass and resin. dont want it to not fly at all!

Old 02-18-2008, 08:49 PM
Jake Ruddy

Do you know what it weighed originally before the repairs?
Old 02-20-2008, 04:21 PM
peachey24

i'm not sure actually how much it weighed, it was heavy because there is a lot of ply on it and foam wings and the fuse is two layers sheeted in balsa to get the angled shape of the plane, i dont think i will try the glow 108. it looks heavy too compared to alot of the large stuff i've seen on hear. Everything seems to have a built up structure. i would throw the plane away but i am determined to get it flying and looking good!
Old 02-20-2008, 04:58 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Would it be possibe to provide a picture of the plane, it's weight, and wing area? I don't know the plane specifically so those items would be helpful in engine selection.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:05 PM
Jake Ruddy

ya.. what Pat said... also why not just stick it on the scale now and tell us what's in it? We can then take an educated guess as to what a final weight might be.

You can't force a gas engine onto a plane that is too heavy and doesnt have the wing area to hold it. I did this myself a few years ago with a 72" plane that had 800 squares and wouldn't fly with a 26.. put a 46 on it. Flew fine had lots of power... first snap was crazy didn't exactly recover well.. flew at 60 landed at 80 Later learned the wingloading was around 46oz