Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

GP Giant stick

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 07:50 AM
Charles Thomas
My Feedback: (43)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GP Giant stick

I just got a GP Giant Stick and 26cc engine for my son's first big bird. I put a Feather lite 26cc engine on it but sure looks like it needs more engine. The stick looks the same size & weight as my Ultra Hotts that I had years ago which I put a G-38 on. From the ones that have the Stick what is a good engine for putting around the sky and learning the basics.

Charles
Old 02-08-2007, 11:57 AM
fireman7875
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: GP Giant stick

I fly mine with a US 41 and I am pretty happy with the performance. I wouldn't want anything any less powerful. Actually, I wouldn't mind a little more power. I imagine a G38 would do well from what I have heard about the engine. I don't think I would even attempt it with the 26 cc. I only say that because I don't have a lot of gas flying time yet so I don't know that much about the different displacements. As much wing as the stick has, it would probably fly but wouldn't be very aerobatic. However, if you do decide to try it I would love an update. It would be interesting to see how it would fly with such a small engine.

Brian
Old 02-08-2007, 03:04 PM
NM_Mark
My Feedback: (8)

How much heavier is the GP Giant Stick compared to the H9 Giant Lite Stick? I had the H9 plane, with a G-26 - and it flew great with that motor. Even had enough power to hover up here at 4400'

Mark
Old 02-08-2007, 09:05 PM
Charles Thomas

Brian

Thanks, a 41 sounds like a better fit.

Mark,

Not sure about the H9 stick, but the this is 80" and 13.2# RTF.

Thanks,

Charles
Old 02-11-2007, 03:19 PM
bdtsr
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If your 26cc engine is a G26, then don't discount it. The offset in weight between it and the G38 or US41 would more then make up the difference. The G26 will handle 17X6 and 18X6 props for some slower flying. The G38 and US41 would normally run an 18X8 or so. Yes I had a G38 and have a Quadra 35 and 40 which are similar to the US41. I'd save the weight and go for the G26. If you want more power, then go for a 35 to 40cc with electronic ignition to save the weight.
Old 02-11-2007, 06:28 PM
fireman7875

I tried an 18x8 on my US 41 and sure the engine turned up nicely but the plane flew like crap. I stepped up to an 18x10 and it improved dramatically. These days, though, I am running a xoar 20x10 and so far I love it. I say all this to make the point that you really can't compare the prop sizes for the G26 and a 35 to 40cc engine. I am not saying that the 26cc won't fly the plane but lightweight engines aren't all they're cracked up to be. You are going to need some weight up front to balance that long tail and HUGE wing.

Brian
Old 02-12-2007, 07:58 AM
Charles Thomas

Thanks,

No it was not a G-26. It ran a 16x8 prop. I have sold it and now have to find an engine for it as the only thing I have on the table right now is a 3.2 twin. It sure looks nice when I hold the twin up to the firewall but think it may be a little to much engine for the stick[X(]

Charles
Old 02-12-2007, 09:35 PM
bdtsr
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes if the plane needs weight to balance then a bigger motor is the better way to go. I actually looked at the GP Giant Stik for the Kavan 50cc twin I just bought (used). Only thing is the firewall is 150mm high and the mounts require 170m . Of course I still have the Saito 270 as well. That Kavan sure would look nice on the Stik though.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:16 AM
chuck l
My Feedback: (17)

Charles,

I had the large UltraStik with a G26 and it flew quite well with it. I now have the Giant Big Stik which flew just fine with G26 with EI. Not unlimited vertical, but darn close. The plane now has a G45 with EI and flies great, yes unlimited vertical. It's one of those show off combinations, short takeoff and go vertical at the end of the runway. With a big gaser on it, make sure you put the receiver battery back as far as you. I made a little hatch on the bottom side of the fuselage to slide the battery in. Put some screws into the firewall from the top and bottom of the fuselage similiar to what GP did on the sides of the fuselage. The plane has no problem with the bigger engines, it's well built.

Chuck
Old 02-13-2007, 11:26 AM
Charles Thomas

Thanks,

I may put the 3.2 twin on the Stick. I had got the 3.2 to put on the Giant Stinger that I am building but would like a G-62 or 4.2 to put in it.

Thanks,

Charles
Old 02-14-2007, 09:24 AM
wjglynn

I have a G-38 on my GBS with an 18-10 prop. Earlier in last year before I built mine I saw a post on this site stating that one could take off at half throttle, go vertical at full throttle and climb to a dot with a G-38. I have extra photographic gear on my bird making it tip the scales at over 18 pounds. It will still perform as the earlier post stated. I do not think that it would take off from a picnic table but it sure acts like it could. Mine falls out a bit during a knife edge but it is pretty heavy and I have the throws only set to original specs. I chose the G-38 over the G-26 due to the increased drag my camera gear adds to the airframe. The wing has so much lift that the only time you will ever use the flaps will be for ultra slow speed passes or hovering into the wind. I cannot imagine that you will not be extremely pleased with the G-26/GBS for your application.

Bill
Old 02-14-2007, 11:52 PM
easton24
My Feedback: (1)

Ill let you guys know how it flies with a g 26. I am putting together one now. If it doesnt cut it I have a 43 fuji I could install next.
Old 02-15-2007, 07:34 AM
Charles Thomas

Thanks,

It's the same size and weight as the Ultra Hotts I have owned so looks like I will put the 3.2 on it and try it.

Charles
Old 02-15-2007, 10:53 PM
bleesweb
My Feedback: (4)

How is everyone mounting the fuel tank? I have a Fuji 43 in mine and it quits on me. Runs fine on the ground though. I think my fuel is foaming using the wood brackets to hold the tank in.
Old 02-16-2007, 06:43 AM
fireman7875

I use the top half of the stock mounts and suspend it with rubber bands. It holds tightly against the mounts. Check your needle settings, you may be too lean. When the prop unloads in the air, the engine needs to be a little richer.
Old 02-16-2007, 08:19 AM
alabama sam

I am in the process of building a Giant Big Stik and planning to use a g-23 gasser on it. The question i have is, at what location do i mount the g-23 to the firewall? Do i just center it on the firewall or do I use the off center Cross marks at are already provide on the firewall?

Sam
Old 02-16-2007, 08:31 AM
dant-RCU
My Feedback: (3)

I have a Fugi 32 on my Giant Stick.

alabama:

You should use the offset vertical line as it compensates for the built in right thrust and brings the prop shaft back to the center. Probably not as important on non-cowled setups but it is "geometrically correct". I always either use the provided offset marks or calculate mine based on the amount of right thrust.

Bleesweb:

I mounted my fuel tank right behind the front former. I substituted a 16oz Dubro. Vent line exits out of the bottom of the fuse thru the old fuel compartment hatch. I put a tee in the fuel line to a fuel dot to fuel and de-fuel.

works for me.

Dan
Old 02-17-2007, 01:17 AM
TEAMERICA
My Feedback: (77)

I just maidened mine with a Tartan twin that has been laying around the shop for 10 years. Very cool sound and a perfect fit. The tank is in the nose as instructed and the battery is in the front of the radio bay with the receiver. I put the Tri Gear on to protect the prop and also the tail wheel so that I can do those "high Alpha" landings.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db86076.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	623320  
Old 02-25-2007, 03:07 AM
easton24

Well I maidened mine today with the g 26. I used a 17-6 apc prop and was turning between 9600-9500 rpms. I can say the vertical is pretty good with this setup. I can point it straight up and it keeps on going. The roll rate is a little slower than I would like. I am going to switch the flaps to flaperons and see what that does. The plane can fly and land nice and slow, I dont see any need for the flaps. The knife edge definitely needs some mixing to get it to stop pulling toward the canopy. All in all I really like this plane. Once I get it all trimmed out I can see this one as a everyday flier. I am going to try a 17-8 apc and see how that does. I dont think I will be putting on the fuji 43 right now. I think the g 26 is plenty for now.
Old 02-25-2007, 11:49 AM
bleesweb
My Feedback: (4)

Go with the flaperons. The plane feels like a trianer without them. It really does not need flaps. Mine has the Fuji 43 and power is never an issue, but I am a little concerned with the wing ripping off . For $249 who cares though. Its a lot of fun.
Old 02-25-2007, 02:56 PM
Charles Thomas

Test ran the 3.2 today. 15.5 # RTF and pulls great. Test flight next.

Charles
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig10970.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	629553  
Old 06-21-2007, 08:59 PM
easton24

I flew mine today. Man all I can say is I love the way this plane flys with this setup g26, 17-6 apc prop. I can go full throttle and pull it straight up in just a few feet. It will keep going till I can barely hear the engine anymore and it has a b and b muffler then I have to bring it down cause Im afraid it will lose signal. I can hover it till my skills fail me, which isnt too long and it does have pretty decent pullout.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:10 PM
elvir

hello , i was just searching around and just want to ask a question can the giant stick with a 40cc gas go into F3A compition?
Old 02-28-2008, 06:52 AM
bra67240
My Feedback: (36)

I have had the Giant Big Stik for over two years now. I originally mounted a Brison 2.4 (20X8 prop). Plenty of power and cg worked out very well. However, I have found with the gasser, the landing gear is a bit weak (tail dragger version) and also a bit short for the 20" prop. Never did like the rounded rudder, so i made a conventional one and split the elevator so i could have a full length rudder. I think it has helped with the knife edge performance. I have also made a new landing gear 1/4" alum. and added 1" to the overall heighth. This is a very good plane to get into gass with. No cowl to mess with, easy to field assemble and just flies great.