Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Flight Simulator Software
Reload this Page >

G4 or AeroFly Proffesional Deluxe?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

G4 or AeroFly Proffesional Deluxe?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 01:36 AM
Cybert99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: G4 or AeroFly Proffesional Deluxe?

I guess what I am asking is after being out of the hobby for a few years, as well as never having flown a real aerobat, would I be able to do it after mastering it on a sim like my G4?
I used to fly RC gliders about 20 years ago. Slope soaring, just 2 channels, rudder and elevator. This past Christmas my wife bought me a ParkZone Trojan, which is a 4 channel aircraft and that's how I found out about RC Flight Simulators. (I knew I was going to need some serious help.)

My first sim flights were awful. Couldn't keep the plane in the air and we won't even talk about my landings. But I kept working at it and I got better. After a couple of weeks of practice I took my new plane to a construction site with a lot of empty space and a nice road. The takeoff was a little scary as I scraped a wingtip on the ground, but I managed to land the plane in the field about 50 yards away! Hardly a scratch on it!

The next flight, a few weeks later, was almost perfect. The plane landed on the street and rolled to a stop right at my feet. The following weekend I made another nice flight, but had a scary moment on the landing. Still no scratches. The weekend after that I had a perfect flight going, was really feeling comfortable, but I overshot the runway, tried to takeoff again and hit a light pole. Totalled the engine, though the plane is fine.

Make what you will of that story. But one thing is for certain. If I had tried to fly that plane with NO sim experience I would have needed a bag to gather up all the pieces.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:06 AM
thevirginian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: G4 or AeroFly Proffesional Deluxe?

Let me tell you what I went thru several years ago. I paused RC-flying for good nine years, while enjoying nothing but golf. I learned RC back in Europe, flying on Mode 1, as it is typical over there. Here in the States I had two radios, both converted to Mode 1 by me . In our club I was the only one using that Mode. I was told that I was using the TX "backwards". When I decided to get back into RC- flying I purchased a new radio, which, of course, was Mode 2. At the same time I also purchased G2 and that was the best investment at that point. After practicing on the sim I was able to fly a real RC plane relatively quickly without getting into trouble. I bought me a Thundertiger E-Hawk 2000. Without any doubt a good simulator can save you more than only 200 bucks, the price you normally pay for it. Now I have G4 and love it so much, I fly almost every evening. I practice IMAAC and 3D. In real life I fly giant scales, all gassers. The downloaded planes from "knifeedge.com" are awesome. Very realistic when compared to the actual planes. You can even "feel" their size. Now, I have to agree with skirtz, there is no such sim out there, that could simulate real life RC at 100%. There is no fear factor that can be simulated when you stand at the flight line, all by yourself, with a new airplane and butterflies in your stomach. There is no wind in your face when you fly in 15 mph gusts. But overall it is a great tool and I don't want to miss it, especially not in the winter time, when you have the itch and it is snowing with -10° outside. I believe every serious RC-pilot should have a sim, if only for practicing purposes. It pays off, in my belief.