Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

When is an ARF an ARF? (ain't there yet)

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

When is an ARF an ARF? (ain't there yet)

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 02:37 PM
Clay Walters

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When is an ARF an ARF? (ain't there yet)

Well, this will be something of a ramble but if you'll endulge me....

Like so many of you I began model airplane building in the 1960's. First the rubber band tissue covered models that collapsed when you wound the prop one to many times, then the solid balsa ones to utilize the engines from the pretty plastic models that shattered the first time you used them. Later in highschool I became interested in other things and it wasn't until the 1980's that I revisited the hobby. My young son and I walked past a hobby shop and were naturally drawn in by a display. A Lil' Wizard, Cox Black Widow and off we went. But this time Dad bought himself an RC kit. Well, two more planes later a change in jobs and location found me getting out of the hobby abruptly a year and a half later. ARF's were known of then but thought very poorly of and I never saw one actually in use on the field.

I am now re-entering the hobby some 25 years later and find that while much is the same, the ARF is the new "model". After scouring over a number of reviews, forums, and catalogs I finally settled on a Hobbico Hobbistar ARF. My primary reason for doing so was because I wanted to get a 4-cycle engine. Also, I didn't know what radio I wanted and didn't want to get a prepackaged bundle that included a less desirable radio than what I envisioned I would want. Having built a few planes I felt assembling an ARF would be a snap.

Wrong. After reading a few online articles about my model I stumbled upon a series devoted to the very ARF I have and after reading them decided to incorporate the changes in mine. Really nothing too difficult except that now I find I don't see too well. My dexterity is lacking and I don't really have a good facility to build in. Limited space and poor lighting are not condusive to quick building! Still I'm forging ahead.

First, a man needs the tools and the hardware along with current knowledge of what to use and when to use it. A number of things are "coming back" to me but I must admit to having to reacquaint myself. Small screwdrivers, files, sanding blocks, allen wrenches, clamps, adhesives, etc. all had to be reacquired. Funny, after digging around in my garage I found things that I really had forgotten what the heck they were! Still had a prop reamer that I couldn't for the life of me remember what it was until I saw a picture of one and needed it to install the prop on my engine. And I still have the Exacto knife set my dad bought me when I was 12 and am using it along with the Dremel tool my wife gave me in 1980. (Still don't know where my wing jig went but who knows what's up in the attic?)

At any rate the wing servo bays went in fairly easily, the tank a tad more difficult and the motor mount is pretty neat in that you don't have to drill and tap it. But, the throttle on the 4-stroke isn't in the same place the ARF anticipated one to be and I got to drill a new route. Once the engine has been run at the bench a little I'll install it and hook up the throttle cable to the servo, measure and solder on the clevis. Then I'll actually mount the wing servos and install and hookup linkages. These little things are taking me forever......yet the kit instructions suggested time to complete sure had me thinking this would go so much faster.

Thank goodness this is fun! Because to my way of thinking a RTF should mean plug in the charger and charge the TX/RX batteries, bolt on the wing, add fuel, and fly. An ARF would be mount your engine, install your radio, plug in the charger and charge the TX/RX batteries, bolt on the wing, add fuel, and fly. In neither case should you need to purchase any adhesives, irons, or hardware.

A pre-covered, partially constructed "Kit" would be a more true description. I've managed to get glue all over everything, cut off most of the hinges, re-slot and use the blue Radio South hinges I still had after over 20 years....(this is the part about memories coming back). Today I now own an electric slot cutter thats the neatest gadget I always dreamed of! And other than the trigger sticking it works great! And the blue hinges?...still mucho bettero than the softer "others". Who knows, in another month I may actually have this thing together, balanced and ready to fly. I do know that another 4-cycle and two 2-stroke engines, an ARF, and 3 kits now await my attention and I can hardly wait to get this first one out of the way.

I know none of yall know me nor missed me in my absence but - its still good to be back! Just wish I'd have bought a kit instead of the ARF. In some ways I think the build would have gone quicker although the plane wouldn't be so nicely covered.

Kindest regards,

Clay
Old 02-29-2008, 03:31 PM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: When is an ARF an ARF? (ain't there yet)

Clay welcome back. And yes ARF tends to be in the eye of the beholder. Heck a block of balsa could be considered an ARF. All it needs is some cutting, sanding, gluing, and throwing some controls and and engine/motor at it, and off it will fly. Almost can be a really big stretch in some cases.

At least you're having fun aren't you?
Old 02-29-2008, 04:02 PM
NorfolkSouthern

The abbreviation for ARF: "Almost Ready to Fly". But usually, that's not the case. Last year, I "assembled" a Great Planes Cessna, and it was more of a challenge than I anticipated. The covering was done, but all the holes had to be drilled to get the engine mounted, struts installed, servos in place, and pushrods installed. None of the hinging is done, but the control surfaces were pre-slotted. They had to be opened up more to accept the CA hinges. The blocks for the cowl had to be located, and drilled, the cutouts for the engine and muffler. The pushrods had to be measured, bent, and installed to the servos from stock. To be honest, I ended up building a kit rather than assembling an ARF. The only thing that was done for me was the framing, covering, and painting. It should be considered an ARA instead: "Almost Ready to Assemble".

There are some true ARFs out there, and Hangar-9 makes most of them. They include the PNP "Plug 'N Play" Series, where only the receiver needs installation. Others would be the Twist and Tango where just about all the work is done, except for installing the servos, engine, and radio gear. Of course, there are the "RTF" planes, but the ones from Great Planes that still require some assembly would be closer to an ARF.

For the kit builders: Yes, I have built and covered a kit and some "ARFs" are definitely more difficult and time consuming.

NorfolkSouthern
Old 02-29-2008, 04:37 PM
opjose

I thought ARF meant, "almost ready to F' up?".

Old 02-29-2008, 04:39 PM
Iflyglow
My Feedback: (79)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You will have to get a quick build from Aeroworks. These are the best by far. They are the most pre fabbed out there. The workmanship is flawless. All holes are allready done except for the servo's. The cowling and tail wheel are even prefitted. I have built arfs from H9, GP and many more, but they do not come even close to the amount of prefabb work and workmanship that a Aerowrks QB plane has out of the box.

http://www.aero-works.net/store/
Old 02-29-2008, 04:41 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: NorfolkSouthern

The abbreviation for ARF: "Almost Ready to Fly". But usually, that's not the case. Last year, I "assembled" a Great Planes Cessna, and it was more of a challenge than I anticipated. The covering was done, but all the holes had to be drilled to get the engine mounted, struts installed, servos in place, and pushrods installed. None of the hinging is done, but the control surfaces were pre-slotted. They had to be opened up more to accept the CA hinges. The blocks for the cowl had to be located, and drilled, the cutouts for the engine and muffler. The pushrods had to be measured, bent, and installed to the servos from stock. To be honest, I ended up building a kit rather than assembling an ARF. The only thing that was done for me was the framing, covering, and painting. It should be considered an ARA instead: "Almost Ready to Assemble".

There are some true ARFs out there, and Hangar-9 makes most of them. They include the PNP "Plug 'N Play" Series, where only the receiver needs installation. Others would be the Twist and Tango where just about all the work is done, except for installing the servos, engine, and radio gear. Of course, there are the "RTF" planes, but the ones from Great Planes that still require some assembly would be closer to an ARF.

For the kit builders: Yes, I have built and covered a kit and some "ARFs" are definitely more difficult and time consuming.

NorfolkSouthern
I'm with ya on this point. IMO, the acronym ARF should be retired for 95% of RC, since really, it is totally misleading. The only planes or air vehicle's that do fit are the little helicopter and small electric planes that are assembled in the box. Charging batteries is about all they need and are truly ARF.

No, for most of our hobby, it isn't ARF, but rather RTA (ready to assemble). Now during that assembly, most knowledgeable modelers, and beginners that are wise enough to seek experienced advice, will make improvements and additions to the instructions (if there are any), but the plane is still built, covered, and 'READY TO ASSEMBLE', out of the box, and these extra steps can be considered part of the assembly process. Personally, I believe I will cease using the term ARF and instead start saying RTA. I don't know who coined the term, but we need to change it, IMO.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:35 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want Almost-Ready-to-Fly, try one of the newer Hangar 9 kits. I just put together a Tango. The only part you have to glue is the windscreen, although I guess you could use 4 small screws to mount it. All the controls are already hinged, the tail assembly with tailwheel is together and bolts on, the aluminum landing gear has the axles and wheels installed. The control horns are already screwed in place. Even the pushrods are cut to length with clevices and clips installed. You just hook them up. The covering is cut out where the servos mount and the edges of the film are ironed down.

People have actually complained about this plane, saying it didn't leave anything to do. This is not one of their Plug-N-Play kits with the radio and engine installed, but an ARF. It sort of raises Almost to a new level.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:52 PM
ram3500-RCU

I still say these things are NOT almost ready to fly. Almost ready to fly is needing the batteries charged. They are 'Ready To Assemble' (RTA).
Old 02-29-2008, 09:19 PM
MR G

Motorman is correct!!!

The Aeroworks QB series (Quick Build) are great quality and are really quick builds.

MR G
Old 02-29-2008, 10:24 PM
NorfolkSouthern

That's exactly the term I was trying to find, Ram3500. "Ready to Assemble" fits more accurately in most of these planes. Once you have to start removing areas of covering and applying epoxy, and then start drilling and tapping, it becomes more like a kit. I have read in one review where the Hangar-9 T-34 Mentor is considered a kit that you build by some writers. Here is the link to a full review on RCGroups:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=614275

Like Ed Moorman, I have recently purchased a Tango and am pleased with it so far, especially with its quick assembly and ease of setup. They are all currently out of stock and on back order, and I am sure that's testimony their quality and popularity. I plan on using an OS 55 AX. It looks like it'll float like a boat!

NorfolkSouthern
Old 02-29-2008, 11:57 PM
ram3500-RCU

No doubt, we do have some very good and complete RTA distributers. Some that come to mind are World Models, H9, Great Planes, Seagull, and what used to be Carl Goldberg before it got compromised. These are some at the top of my list (not necessarily all the planes these guys sell though).

But the best RTA still needs on average some assembly, radio installation, fuel system installation, engine installation with all the crap that goes with that like cutting the cowl, likely fuel proofing, wheel pant installation and more. Hardly 'almost ready to fly'. Personally, this thread has me taking a stand against the concept the whole industry is trying to sell us. That their products are 'almost ready to fly' when we buy them. Horse feathers!!!!!

From now on, my reference to these products will be RTAs. That other acronym is stricken from my vocabulary. I have already started using 'RTA' in other threads. I'm sure it will give me greater opportunity to explain the term.