Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

CMPro P-47 Razorback 180cm wingspan -Assembling Thread

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

CMPro P-47 Razorback 180cm wingspan -Assembling Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 09:35 AM
Hong Weibing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CMPro P-47 Razorback 180cm wingspan -Assembling Thread

Howdy all and Happy New Year,

I've recently purchased a CMPro ARF Thunderbolt (Razorback. Large version, 180cm wingspan) and thought some of you guys could be interested in seeing how I go along. The kit seems nicely done. This is my first warbird, I'm quite excited with the whole thing and may very well overlook obvious problems. Got a 4-stroke OS 120, flaps and plan to install mechanical retracts.

My very first hurdle is to find quality 30mn epoxy glue here in Shanghai... Believe it or not, can only find 5mn epoxy [&:]. Will face similar sourcing issues for retracts too The hobby is still very new in China and I only know of 3 RC stores for a city of 22 millions people. Lots of RC stuff is produced here but little is distributed domestically.

Getting frustrated, I started with some "cosmetic" work. The original camo scheme is nice so I kept it as is. I just tried some weathering with toothpicks dipped in automotive paint, spraying aluminum paint on a bundled convenience store plastic bag and gently tapping the surfaces. Light sandpaper followed all over, from front to back. Will add exhaust stains once I find the right ingredients.
I'm afraid it ain't (and won't be) no masterpiece, but will do since my workshop is the dining table.

Will update as soon as I find the 30mn epoxy. Anyway a few pics first, taken with my mobile. Hope they will show.

Would love to get comments, both neg and positive on those pics as I guess I can still amend. By the way, no particular paint scheme besides the invasion stripes. Red cowl, red cockpit frame and, eventually, a red rudder. Will probably also add a couple of kills under the cockpit.

If anyone has assembled this one or knows of which retracts could fit nicely w/o too much cutting involved, I would greatly appreciate if you could share info and experience.

Zaijian,
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om31848.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	839242   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qm35787.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	839243   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg94107.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	839244   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ib82650.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	839245   Click image for larger version

Name:	Al73199.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	839246   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yp92802.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	839247  
Old 01-01-2008, 03:42 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: CMPro P-47 Razorback 180cm wingspan -Assembling Thread

Looking good, hope you find some 30-minute Epoxy soon!
Old 01-01-2008, 05:19 PM
whatwind
My Feedback: (1)

We all start on the table. Love the jug. Do you have a good field near by?
be sure to post pics as you build.
Old 01-01-2008, 07:33 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice to see this one on your table , we have seen the small 54"version but not the bigger one , nice job so far
Old 01-02-2008, 10:23 AM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Zaijian,
Very nice cosmetic work. I built mine as an electric.
Don't trust the included landing gear. Mine snapped both off on first take off. The gear rods were only in the retracts approx 1/8".

Name:	Mk25698.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	840195  
Old 01-02-2008, 11:32 AM
Hong Weibing

Thanks all for the kind comments.
Went hunting for epoxy again this evening. No luck, but found this little guy instead. I can't tell if he is RAF or US Air Force, but he's got enough WWII looks anyway to my taste.

Glacier, congrats on your P-47. Looks real nice. Is she a good flyer? and are you using retracts or fixed gear? If retracts, would you mind telling me the type & make?
btw, "Zaijian" means "bye" in Mandarin

bye
Hong Weibing

Name:	Bz78321.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	840247  
Old 01-02-2008, 04:18 PM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Hong,

Retracts are Hangar 9 versions.
Old 03-01-2008, 02:37 AM
Hong Weibing

Howdy All,

Finally managed to get hold of some 30 min epoxy glue on a recent trip to Hong Kong and found out that my P-47 ain't a CMPro but more like a clone looking suspiciously similar to a Nitroplanes arf... Anyway, everything ends up being a clone here in China! Loads of typos on box and manual should have given me a clue

I've moved along and hit a few hurdles along the way, namely the stock mechanical retracts... probably clones too and of the worst quality. First they were too short and did not reach far enough down the wheel enclosure. Secondly, they were real flimsy-looking. Took them to a metal-working store next door, got them cut, added a good 2 cm in length and metal-soldered the whole lot with a second strut-like piece of metal for good strength.
Now they look somehow stronger, are of the correct length but I challenge anyone to make something uglier than that... Spray-painted them aluminum, trying to help. Again, I do not expect them to withstand my first landing!
Any comment on these modified gear struts? Obviously, Hangar 9 retracts would be great but it will be like searching for the holy grail here.

Ailerons and flaps are mounted with provided CA hinges (before I learned of the "clone" affair but they looked ok as far as CA hinges go) while rudder and elevator are with standard Dubro-type nylon hinges bought in Hong Kong. Once mounted, I drilled through all control surfaces at the hinges and jammed in a toothpick with epoxy.
Control horns came with the box (as seen on the tail photo) and seem ok but I do have much stronger ones from a previous built which take 3 screws instead of two. Would that be overdone?

I also wanted to hide as much of the muffler as possible within or below the cowling with the engine still inverted. Got myself a flexible tube to connect the muffler, struggled quite a bit to avoid having a too sharp angle on the flex pipe and eventually gave up. Muffler will show until I have a better solution. A friend suggested to get the flex pipe through the firewall and have the muffler stick out a little behind and below the cowling. Sounded like a possibility after 1st beer, looked like a great idea after the 3rd beer but now thinking back much sober I'm afraid this is beyond my skills and tools at hand. Could that really be a solution?
Anyway, I'm about to set up the fuel tank, the receiver, elevator & throttle servos with control rods. All should fit nicely with plenty of room to spare.

Haven't done any cosmetics on the frame since the previous photos but planning to add the four .50 cal machine guns in each wing. The sticks from the chupa chups lollipop candy are just right! Have eaten 8 this week and collected all the sticks. Painted them gun-metal and will glue them in in each wing. Wife gave me the looks while I was happily chumping away on the candies and still refuses to believe that I really needed 8 for the plane. Her point is that 4 will do since they are meant to be cut in half at least... Darn her
The red cockpit frame will also be weathered to match the overall look while oil stains and blue burnt effects will be added near the cowling & guns. Ref pics on the net and home literature do not show much exhaust stains on P-47s. I seem to recall that exhaust is actually located near the tail on the Thunderbolt, that should explain it all I suppose.

Finally, the stickers look so so. Again, I couldn't find the right shade of blue in automotive spray can paint for the US star. Another thing on my next Hong Kong shopping list.

That's about it for now. All comments welcome. A few pics attached.

Zaijian
Hong Weibing

Name:	Tq48660.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	892126   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je11044.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	892127   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns43616.jpg