Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Goldbert Pitts M12 Monster 1.20 bi-plane

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Goldbert Pitts M12 Monster 1.20 bi-plane

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 03:59 PM
Red Max

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Goldbert Pitts M12 Monster 1.20 bi-plane

I am trying to decide whether to use a O.S. Surpass 1.20 pumped engine (older version) or a Saito 1.50 in the Goldberg Pitts 1.20. I have just been told by Great Planes rep (they bought out Goldberg) that the O.S. 1.20 pumped is comparable to the Saito 1.50 in power, only a small difference in power, and that the O.S. 1.20 would be lighter in weight. I live in an area where the altitude is over 3,000 ft. asl. My goal is to keep the weight to a minimum with enough power to fly basic aerobatics; nothing fancy, and to pull the plane out of trouble if needed. I know by reading the great number of older threads on this plane that is does not glide well if your engine quits; but I also know that this is not uncommon in a plane with as much drag as this one has (large nose, struts, etc.) I want my plane to be set up to be a gentle as possible for light aerobatics, but have sufficient power. I just purchased this O.S. 1.20 at a swap meet , used, and have not yet had opportunity to test it, and I know nothing about its power or reliability. Any helpful comments would be greatly appreciated, regarding these engines and control and balance set-up.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:01 PM
collectivepitch
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: Goldbert Pitts M12 Monster 1.20 bi-plane

i suggest use the os1.20 since you have it. a club member has a monster with a ys120 and its got power.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:12 PM
bbagle1

Do not listen to what the manufacturer told you. The saito is more powerful and also llighter than the OS. It is lighter by about two ounces and makes 2.5 HP as opposed to the OS which makes 2.1HP. Use the saito.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:57 PM
Robotech
My Feedback: (9)

Got to agree with BBAGLE1 here. I have both engines and the Saito 150 will out pull the OS 120 all day. I have a Saito 150 in my Goldberg Pitts and it is a very good match IMHO.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:08 PM
Red Max

Thanks for the input guys. I am definitely going with the Saito 1.50. I know it to be a reliable engine and so far it has never dead sticked. I'm going with what I know to be reliable, and it has stump pulling power. I just wanted to keep the plane as light as possible. I am going to complete another project I have set aside for a while after finishing the Pitts. It is a Balsa USA EAA bi-plane. It is about the same size as the pitts, but only has lower ailrons and is either a flat bottom airfoil or a semi-symetrical; I cant remember which. All framework is almost complete, just needs to be covered. I believe a .90 four stroke will power it fine. Looking forward to that 80 degree weather.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:13 PM
Red Max

By the way, Robotech, do you still like your Pitts? How well does it fly, land, etc? Any particular problems I need to look out for? I have never flown a Pitts style plane.
Old 03-01-2008, 01:25 PM
Robotech
My Feedback: (9)

If you are not used to a tail dragger, or in particular and "short tail moment" tail dragger like a Pitts, it can be a little bit of a handful on the ground. Just take it easy on the rudder. Once it breaks ground it is a very stable flyer. Lots of drag so keep a little power on in landings but nothing too scary at all. It will stay plenty light with the Saito and flies light.

I don't take it out all too often. Not that I don't enjoy it. I am just lazy and don't like loading up all the extra stuff for glow. When I do take it I always enjoy it. Heck I'm loading up to go to the field now ( 66 deg, 5 MPH wind, Bluebird skies ). I think I'll fly it today.

My flying mates had me a little worried before the maiden but the biggest suprise was that there was no surprise.

Old 03-01-2008, 06:08 PM
Red Max

Thanks for the input on the Monster, Like you, I was a little leary after reading the posts about it being a brick, etc. but I feel better about it now. Yes, I have experience on tail draggers. The only trike gear plane I have in my fleet is a Seagulls
PC-9. Beautiful plane, flies great, but dont dare to put it into a deliberate stall like I did last summer. Just experimenting with it, shut throttle to idle, pulled back on the elevators, and it took a dive toward the earth like a home sick puppy. I managed to pull it out about 10 to 15 feet off the ground. To this day I still dont know how I did it, but I got good comments on "a great recovery". I taxied back to the pit area and did my own recovery. A new lesson learned for me. Just part of the hobby.

I'm hoping someone can tell me how to hook up the fuel tank to an O.S. 1.20 Surpass pumped engine. I bought this engine at a swap meet, no instructions. I know where to hook up the line from the tank to the pump, and from the pump to the carb. And there is a return line from the pump that goes back to the tank. I just need to know if this return line goes to the top vent, or does it go back to the lower connection where you would normally put a re-fuel line? Do I need to leave a vent line open?

The weather in my area is not ideal for flying right now. We are having a lot of high wind and just got through some more snow, which is melting nicely now. Flying weather is just around the corner.