Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

China Models ?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

China Models ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 12:50 PM
rcpilot96080

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default China Models ?

Has anyone had any experance with the China Model 108-160 Yak54 mine is on the way and would like to know if there is any snags are assambly ideas that i may need to know about ahead of time
Old 02-20-2008, 01:44 PM
opjose

Default RE: China Models ?

This guy? [link=http://www.nitroplanes.com/cmpyak54arf1.html]Click me![/link]

There is a HUGE build thread on this plane here.

Search for CMP Yak 54 to find it.

Old 02-20-2008, 03:34 PM
greyfoxx

Check the forum as opjose has suggested. Other than that, it will build out at about 13 pounds with a OS160. You will probably have to add weight to the nose to get a decent balance. It has a very narrow landing speed, too fast & it floats into the next county, slow it down, and it tip stalls. Putting a little washout into your ailerons will help remedy this, but I would highly recommend flying it in. Landings were the only complaints that I had, and weak landing gear, which I have two right hand sets (none for the left). I would recommend a good set of 6061T X 3/16 in thick or better (2021 I think) aluminum or carbon fiber landing gear. Check your glue joints, particularly in the nose and landing gear area and put some reinforcement on the landing gear blocks where they join the formers and fuselage sides, perhaps with some fiberglass, or at least triangle stock.

My plane flew very well. I really liked the way it flew. It tracked very well, but I never could get the think to make good landings on a regular basis. You will probably have two different sets of CG instructions included with your model. As memory serves me, I balanced mine at about 132mm from the LE of the wing at the fuselage, and had to add a 2 oz spinner weight, and the throttle servo and RCVR battery forward of the firewall and about 1 oz of weight attached to the firewall before achieving that CG. You might want to keep yours a little more forward (something like 124 to 127 mm) of that CG until you get a feel of the plane. I have all of the info documented on the instruction booklet, but after a quick look-see, could not find it. I think you will find the suggested CG info available in the forum opjose has mentioned as well as others takes on the plane - lots of good info.

As I said, I like the plane except for the landings, and it was a bear, and I never really got a grip on landing this bird. Others apparently have not had the problems that I had with the landings, but I would definatly set up the ailerons with them set slightly up when at neutral. It is one of the prettiest Yak's out there, always getting comments from anyone that saw it.

In addition to two right-hand landing gear halves, I have a set of wings in good shape (they are built heavy, one has slight damage to a LE tip that has been repaired) if they are needed.

If you have other questions, let me or some of those that have experience with this bird know.

I've found that in this hobby and life as well that "fools learn from experience. Wise men learn from the experience of others!"
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99811.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	884021   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej14402.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	884022   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cn79468.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	884023  
Old 02-20-2008, 04:57 PM
MR G

Landing a YAK is different than landing an Extra.

With my YAK I chop the power on the down side leg of final approach.
After making the fnal turn and lined up on the runway I add a few click of power.

When I am just comming up on the runway if I like the way it is comming in I chopp all power and try not to land...it will touch down very softly.

If I don't like the way it is comming in then I add power, go around and try again.

The YAK slows down much faster than any other airplane I have flown, this took me awhile to get used to.

Happy Landings!!
MR G
Old 02-20-2008, 05:03 PM
opjose

I have this O.S. BGX-1 sitting in a box looking for a home...

Anyone have any thoughts on mounting this on the Yak? Too much?

Yeah I know it will inhale fuel though.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:41 PM
rcpilot96080

Thanks for the information i plan to put a ST 120 on it so i gess i will see how it flys
Old 03-03-2008, 06:02 PM
rcpilot96080

You stated the gear was weak is it the gear or the mounting that is weak it will be about three weeks before i can start building and can use the hints i have reinstall the gear on my Bipe pretty regular
Old 03-03-2008, 06:06 PM
opjose

Historically, as with most ARFs it seems, the gear mounting area are what need beefing up.

This area can undergo quite a bit of repeated stress, even in the hands of a capable pilot with a well set up plane.

Arfs always seem to have the gear mounting area set up in a way that may seem adecuate to the designer, but in reality the gear ( as well as the firewall ) areas need to be set up for undue stresses.

Adding additional wood supports and reinforcements, along with liberal use of epoxy, helps a lot.