Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Bi-plane rigging

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Bi-plane rigging

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 01:44 PM
n-brad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bi-plane rigging

I need help on setting up a biplane. I do not understand th procedure. How do you set the upper wng,get the length of the outer supprts-- attach them to the wing-string the wires-obtain the connestors--? I an at a complete loss.Help n-brad
Old 12-30-2007, 01:21 AM
KitBuilder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Bi-plane rigging

Are you building a kit? The "flying wires" can be there just for looks or integral to the structure. What size plane are you building.
Mike
Old 01-06-2008, 06:35 PM
n-brad

Mike: Thanks for the reply-sorry to be so late in answering. The model was designed by Hank Ilitzschand is a 1/3 scale of the Bristol Scout Model-D.It requires the wing wires or it comes apart.The plane is built. Now comes the procedure to establish the wings /put in the diahedrial and place on the wires.Thanks for your help. j-brad
Old 01-06-2008, 08:46 PM
SoCalSal
My Feedback: (16)

Hi You can find many fittings from Proctor Enterprizes, turnbuckels flying wire etc.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:58 AM
KitBuilder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Were there no guidlines or instructions with the kit? Check ou some of the scale threads... there may be some help there... I'm getting ready to build a VK Proctor Nieuport 17 kit.. but I beleive the wires, etc there are for looks.
Mike
Old 03-01-2008, 03:16 PM
Tripp2loo
My Feedback: (15)

Can you tell me where you get the 1/3 scale Bristol Scout kit from. I would love one of these.

I have a 1/4 scale Bristol Scout that someone else built from plans. The wing rigging on is not joined to the correct places, and the wings are very weak. I am in the process of re-doing some of them to build some strength back in.
I have flown it like this, but it was a very gentle flight though.
Flies like a big ole majestic kite

Cheers

Paul
Old 03-01-2008, 07:02 PM
flipstart

As for flying wires it depends on how scale you want the plane to be-on my 1/4 scale N28 from Busa, I used plastic coated leader from Bass Pro, made L brackets from brass strip stock that were secured with screws that connected the struts/cabanes to wing.
Use the Dubro threaded connectors and ssrew into a clevis so they can be adjusted/removed. Not scale, but functional. I made my wing struts from spruce stock, as ones supplied were thin pieces of bass wood. On the landing gear support wires, I did use some Proctor turnbuckles, so the wires could be properly tensioned. Flying wires and wing setup seems to be the most difficult part of a biplane, besides building 2 wings, keep asking questions if this doesn't help.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:33 AM
skylarkmk1

Brad,

Hopefully, your rigging attachment points are installed in the correct locations. You will need to build a jig to support the wings and fuselage in proper alignment. The jig can be made from scrap wood, foam board or anything that will support the wings in alignment with the fuse, the exact shape is up to you. After everything is properly aligned, you then start measuring for your wires and struts. I would start with the upper center section and cabane struts, making sure it is correctly positioned and aligned (incidence, height, fore/aft and left/right). Once this is completed, the wings should be fairly easy to align and rig.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:10 AM
SoCalSal
My Feedback: (16)

ORIGINAL: n-brad

I need help on setting up a biplane. I do not understand th procedure. How do you set the upper wng,get the length of the outer supprts-- attach them to the wing-string the wires-obtain the connestors--? I an at a complete loss.Help n-brad
Brad.send me a PM. I will try to give you some pointers on how to set up your biplane rigging the proper way. I build nothing but bi-planes and have rigged many many different types. I would post ideas here but I would rather do it directley via e-mail.
One thing I will direct you on is.............Always set the center section upper wing first. This will be the basis for the rest of the rigging. And Always construct the "N" struts first before cutting any rigging wires. r igging a bi-plane is not diffcult at all. Time consuming..YES but hard no.

I'm rigging a 33% Stearman at this time and it is no different then a much smaller plane. Just much easier to do due to the size of the plane and my big hands and old eyes.. I have rigged full scale bi-planes many times in the past. I just finnished a friend Jungmeister ( full scale) after he had the wings recovered.
Anyhow I will be happy to help you all that I can.