Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

G.H.Q. Gas

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 10:07 PM
Arooo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G.H.Q. Gas

Ahoy there.

Thought that was appropriate.

I"ve got this rather old model 1930's. Gas powered runabout. It has a GHQ gas engine with spark plug, coil, capacitor and a set of points larger than those I've changed on the truck.

General searches of the internet indicate I should probably throw the engine over the side of the bridge on my way to work. "Too heavy - they run clockwise - tempremental - frustrating - I acknowledge it's not the engine of choice these days - but it's mine and I've had it running as a kid (about 45 maybe 50 some years ago). Anyway - a running GHQ would be an oddity as I understand it.

Last weekend I scoped out the electrical system - It looks like a pair of D cell batteries in series give it the juice. There is also a provision to add additional battery power through two prewired ports. I reall hooking up a large 1.5 Volt DC battery, squirting some gas into a priming port, possibly the exhaust (?) and rope starting it.

Problem is - I don't recall the gas/oil mixture ratio, how many turns out on the needle valve to get the air mixture close for starting. I'd hate to guess at it and ruin it.

Anybody out there able to shed a little light on the subject?