Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

futaba 4pk

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 04:32 AM
wayneuk01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default futaba 4pk

The new futaba 4pk i was looking at the features [link=http://2.4gigahertz.com/systems/futk4900.html]futaba 4pk[/link]

One of the features is Boat programming what the hell is that any ideas?? ohhhh [:@]allmost $500 on the bay
Old 03-18-2008, 05:17 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: futaba 4pk

maybe its for multiboats to use on trimtabs etc they use all kinds of gismos ,Im sure Dave and Glenn know more about that than i do.anyway dont you check your pm box .
Old 03-18-2008, 05:27 AM
webdr

boat mode does two things; it makes the throttle so theres is no reverse, which removes the cut-off feature by pressing forward...I dont like it much.

The other is mixing; you can make is so a servo is attached to a tiltable outdrive and it will move up and down with the servo, making it plane easier. Its a good idea in theory buy useless to me.
BTW, its a feature thats available on the 3pk as well.
matt
Old 03-18-2008, 07:23 AM
Jager 247

doesn't also allow you to mix the throttle and rudder together, so that the boat goes straight? i thought i read that somewhere. seems pointless to me, if trimmed right i will go straight.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:06 AM
Silent-AV8R

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep in mind that the 4PK is really targeted at the car market. I've looked at it and honestly I cannot see the value in a $500 4-channel radio. For boats the 3PM 2.4FASST does everything I need at one-third the price.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:41 AM
martno1fan

On most boats thats the case but in multi boats fsrv they link rudder to throttle and also have adjustable tabs etc PLUSS A FEW OTHER SECRETS i believe so they need more channels .Im not familiar with all the ins and outs of multi racing but thats what i seem to remember been told.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:31 AM
glennb2006

ORIGINAL: martno1fan

On most boats thats the case but in multi boats fsrv they link rudder to throttle and also have adjustable tabs etc PLUSS A FEW OTHER SECRETS i believe so they need more channels .Im not familiar with all the ins and outs of multi racing but thats what i seem to remember been told.
More than 4 channels needed for that Martin.

Glenn
Old 03-18-2008, 11:35 AM
martno1fan

even with dual rates etc?,my point was there is a point to mixing throttle with rudder and or rudder to tabs .
Old 03-18-2008, 11:39 AM
webdr

You can mix rudder and throttle w/o going into boat mode, its just standard mixing.

Bottom line, Ive used boat mode and its more of a pain than anything....about the only thing it's good for is telling your friends "I'm operating in boat mode"
Old 03-18-2008, 11:39 AM
glennb2006

5 channels at least. I believe some people mix rudder and right trim tab together.

Glenn
Old 03-18-2008, 11:44 AM
webdr

even with dual rates etc?,my point was there is a point to mixing throttle with rudder and or rudder to tabs .

If you have an angle in your strut to compensate prop walk, youll notice it makes the boat steer to the left at LOW speeds until you get up to speed, then the two cancel eachother out and the boat runs straight.

Thats the problem w/ mixing, if you hammer the throttle from slow speeds, such as crossing the startline w/o going over the clock, your boat doesnt know its going slow, and puts the rudder correction in, causing your boat to veer to the left. At high speed it works as expected. I dont thing mixing is worth it on a boat IMO. Id rather offset the strut.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:56 AM
glennb2006

ORIGINAL: webdr

If you have an angle in your strut to compensate prop walk, youll notice it makes the boat steer to the left at LOW speeds until you get up to speed, then the two cancel eachother out and the boat runs straight.

Thats the problem w/ mixing, if you hammer the throttle from slow speeds, such as crossing the startline w/o going over the clock, your boat doesnt know its going slow, and puts the rudder correction in, causing your boat to veer to the left. At high speed it works as expected. I dont thing mixing is worth it on a boat IMO. Id rather offset the strut.
Plus the rudder correction is just creating drag.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:56 AM
martno1fan

They use it all the time in fsrv racing as Glenn says to link tab to rudder to help with turns etc,i see what your saying about mixing throttle with rudder though.